Facebook set to ban live animal sellers
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Facebook set to ban live animal sellers

This is a discussion on Facebook set to ban live animal sellers within the Aqua Lounge forums, part of the Aqua Lounge category; This could have a big impact for online fish and pet sellers: Facebook crackdown on animal sales has farmers in ...

DefaultFacebook set to ban live animal sellers

This could have a big impact for online fish and pet sellers:

Facebook crackdown on animal sales has farmers in a flutter

This could mean the sponsors on this forum who have FB sites could soon find them shut down.

And all the overseas suppliers too...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Huzzah back to useful Web pages from business I frequent!!

If I come across one more store with a Facebook feed full of images and a Web page designed back when 56kbps was new tech I will scream.

I mean no disrespect to anyone this might negatively effect. Just a personal point of view.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mark Brown; 04-16-2017 at 02:10 PM.

I agree with the concept.

I don't take part in Facebook for shopping.
    In fact I make a point of not purchasing from pages that prompt me to like them before I can even see their page/product.
    The Guy likes this.
    Mike in S. Surrey Please call 604 535 9063
    14 gal Bio Cube & Pond

See my tanks on CBC here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Y1zuY2y1I
    L-144 LongFin blue eyed
    http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/fish/Blueeyslacefin.jpg

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mikebike View Post
    I agree with the concept.

I don't take part in Facebook for shopping.
    In fact I make a point of not purchasing from pages that prompt me to like them before I can even see their page/product.
    I totally agree, I don't think promoting sales on "social" media is a good thing and I don't think using it for business was ever the intent when it all started back in the day. My personal opinion only.
    1 Fluval Spec V tank set up right now.
    ​Future set up will be a planted Fluval Osaka 155 cube tank with a HOB Seachem Tidal 55 power filter, a large sponge filter and a Eheim 2236 canister filter, lighting will be a Kessil a160we Tuna Sun with a dawn to dusk Kessil Spectra controller and pressurized Co2

Forum Resident

I disagree quite a lot with this. I frequent many local herptile and aquarium groups on Facebook and instead of having reputable places (like the bcaquaria Facebook group) to buy fish/reptiles/etc, lots of people will turn to Craigslist or other websites that aren't necessarily the best place to buy from. I'd rather people buy from a supportive group than a random Craigslist user.
    need more fish and reptiles and plants

Sponsor

DefaultFacebook set to ban live animal sellers

Well then guess those who won't buy from anyone who posts on fb means I'm out.
    I post here and have been a member for about 14 years .( right from day 1 of bcaquaria )
    But I have to keep my business afloat and fb is a lot easier to post pics and videos than bcaquaria and it'd no different than the old advertising way than it used to be. Magazines, newspapers, yelllow pages, etc. Social media is advertising without paper as times have changed.
    People all complain there's. O real lfs around hardly anymore.
    If you can't promote and pay the overhead then there will be none. It also helps people realize there's more options than petsmart and there more unique things than bread and butter fish.
    You also see new strains, and who's breeding what etc around the world and the breeders are far more approachable and help you with education and actually reply to you on fb. I have sourced some great fish via breeders in Asia and found great suppliers via fb .
    Bc aquaria is a great
    Community but to survive you need people to find you when thry google and by posting on social media they find you.
    Social media is Just a name
    For advertising. And yes fb started as a college
    Network but things evolve the same as Indian smoke signals evolved to
    Morse
    Code and then the telephone with a. Operator patching you through to touch tone to cellular etc and yes social media. It has its faults but it has also come in handy in emergencies etc to get
    Word in and out of natural
    Disaster zones etc.
    That's
    My opinion.
    I also go
    Out of my way to help customers and answer all
    Questions as
    Fast as
    Possible on here and fb . I just finished driving to the last
    Exit in Abbotsford for a free delivery to a new customer from
    Fb. I also answered her questions with over 100 fb
    Messages beforehand . From that I got a new loyal customer . So it's not all take it'd a lot of give.
    In the end it comes
    Down to pleasing customers and not all about the mighty dollar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by aprilsaquarium; 04-22-2017 at 07:52 PM.
    MELLO, mikebike, Aswain and 1 others like this.

I don't have FB. I never will. I don't use it. I don't need it. I don't want it. I don't care about the draconian stupidity that they keep forcing on people. Wah, wah, wah. Poor FB users. It's your own stupid fault for buying in to that crap. Just get off of it. It's a total waste of time. I couldn't care less about what they do.
    Last edited by cgjedi; 04-22-2017 at 10:40 PM.

Forum Snooper

well said april. LFS's especially yours are so good for fish keepers and for the fish!! Buying from the big box chains = unhealthy fish, poor advice and dead critters which is the biggest shame.
    Aswain likes this.
    Apisto-addicted at the moment trying my hand at breeding the cute little buggas!

Currently keeping the following:

Api. agassizi double red & WC yellow
    Ap. bitaeniata shishita
    Ap. cacatuoides triple red
    Ap. hongsloi & CF2
    Ap. irinidae
    Ap. macmasteri (trade viejita)
    Ap. ortegai (papagai)
    Ap. panduro
    Ap. viejita (real ones) WC
    Ap. sp. "Schwarzkehl/Black-throat" (wc)
    Ap. sp. Steel Blue hybrids

Forum Novice

Personally, I do not use Facebook. Never have. Never will. Somehow I have managed to make it this far in life without it. So it follows that I wouldn't be in the position to use Facebook as an avenue for doing business . . . which suits me.

The reason for the ban? My guess is that Facebook doesn't wish to get tangled up in some legal nightmare for the "shady" sellers who sell illegal exotic pets, invasive species, puppy/cat mill animals, etc. Without complete control over who sells what critters, a sweeping ban is about the only option for Facebook to protect itself.

So I got to looking into this a wee bit and it would seem to me that Facebook is simply banning the direct sale of livestock on marketplace, a service that is as of yet not available in canaduuur.

I cannot for the life of me believe that in any way this would limit the ability of a business to host it's page in the same manner it always has. Even if they add flags to post with direct sales and pricing it will not inhibit the common practices that go on in any given business page. Then again who knows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast