Whales at the Vancouver Aquarium - For or Against?
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Whales at the Vancouver Aquarium - For or Against?

This is a discussion on Whales at the Vancouver Aquarium - For or Against? within the Aqua Lounge forums, part of the Aqua Lounge category; This promises to be an interesting meeting: Vancouver Park Board holding special meeting tonight on future of whales at Vancouver ...

DefaultWhales at the Vancouver Aquarium - For or Against?

This promises to be an interesting meeting:

Vancouver Park Board holding special meeting tonight on future of whales at Vancouver Aquarium - British Columbia - CBC News

I guess I lean more toward getting rid of the whales at the aquarium; perhaps replace them with rescued dolphins from Japan, etc.?

Alternatively, can you imagine what kind of Amazon biotope they could create if they tripled the size of the current Amazon Gallery?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Completely against.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    The Guy likes this.

I'm only for it if they are rescued whales with no hope of survival unless they are brought in. Such as injured whales that couldn't survive in the wild. With focus on rehabilitation and release.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Whales belong in the ocean.
    Gaia likes this.

Forum Snooper

strongly against, I hear their ads all the time on the radio station I listen to and it pisses me off..
    We will only display cetaceans that are born in captivity or injured and unable to be released, blah blah blah.
    Starting the "spin" early as I hear they plan to bring back their 5 loaner belugas.

Mr Know It all

Definitely against caught for the purposes of display. If it's an injured whale that has no prospect of survival in the wild, I'm a bit more ok with that.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    54g Rainbows and Rasboras
    100g Cube Discus Playground

AWW

The black and white answer should be that whales belong in the ocean. Captivity of whales has its positives too though, as a collective informed we need to understand that. For whales and humans, scientific and social.

People say tigers belong in the wild. Elephants rhinos, any wild animal really. We live in a changed world and integration may be there only chance at survival. Not only that, the things we learn from captive species tell us so much about wild populations.

Dolphins are Suitable for captivity, belugas could be too. The aquarium is expanding the exhibit. I fell sorry for all the poor killer whales in captivity because that is an animal that needs to roam free. If the animals are happy they are where they belong.
    DevinHebert likes this.

I am completely for it - under certain conditions. If the whale was bred in captivity or injured and unable to survive in the wild.

Having whales in the aquarium is paramount to their research , and furthermore our understanding of what amazing creatures they are .

If you look at all amazing stories of research and conservation it started with a trip to the aquarium- it brings the joy of the ocean close to ones heart - and gets kids involved and starts a dialogue of why recycling is good and plastic is bad . You're not doing it for some abstract animal you saw in a book or on tv .

Now yes some people will say they belong in the ocean , free . Well humans have destroyed the ocean - both overfishing/polluting and we need a plan B .
    How better to learn to have them than to keep them - I mean we keep wild amazing fish in boxes ?
    Atom, DBam, DevinHebert and 2 others like this.

The problem is, in my view, is dolphins and whales are very intelligent. The fish we keep in an aquarium are not even close to the same level. Whales and dolphins have a bond with humans not because we keep them in tanks and feed them, because they have the intelligence and emotional capability. This is why I'm against keeping whales and dolphins in captivity. Same with gorillas and some monkeys. It's just wrong in that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by troutsniffer View Post
    The problem is, in my view, is dolphins and whales are very intelligent. The fish we keep in an aquarium are not even close to the same level. Whales and dolphins have a bond with humans not because we keep them in tanks and feed them, because they have the intelligence and emotional capability. This is why I'm against keeping whales and dolphins in captivity. Same with gorillas and some monkeys. It's just wrong in that aspect.
    It is precisely because they bond with people that keeping them in captivity is not the horror PETA and the anti-captivity people paint it to be. They are well fed, they have activity around and with them to entertain them and their health is monitored. Beluga are often trapped in the arctic in very small spaces when in winter ice makes it impossible to travel beyond a small breathing hole. Sometimes even that hole closes up ..... and no more pod. Cetaceans in some ways are like our dogs and cats, only much more massive. They are generally healthier and safer in captivity and despite human emotions that think they only want to be free, many want to stay with their human family.
    Veterinarians can only really learn what ails them and what treatments aid them from captive specimens. Even though they are in a much more restricted environment than they are in the wild, a lot can be learned about their "personalities" and interactions. Whales in captivity help those in the wild, and go a long way to educating the public about them.
    Nobody wants to say it out loud at the aquarium, but I am thoroughly convinced Aurora and Qila were poisoned by some radical anti-captivity nut that thinks they are better off dead than in captivity. They certainly didn't die of boredom or from longing for freedom.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast