Whales at the Vancouver Aquarium - For or Against? - Page 6
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree51Likes

Whales at the Vancouver Aquarium - For or Against?

This is a discussion on Whales at the Vancouver Aquarium - For or Against? within the Aqua Lounge forums, part of the Aqua Lounge category; This whole thing is just a silly mess. No one can ever win when people's emotions overrule their good sense. ...

This whole thing is just a silly mess. No one can ever win when people's emotions overrule their good sense. I don't personally care if people are for or against cetations in captivity, doesn't really make one lick of difference to me. What irks me about this story is the fact that they are removing the RESCUE side of the operation. It's OK to rescue and rehabilitate every species of animal of this earth of ours, but somehow marine mammals are off limits?? There are countless deer, raccoons and bears that are rescued and rehabilitated every year, the ones that cannot be released back into their natural habitat are either culled or placed in sanctuary or a zoo. Most I assume are culled when it comes to larger predatory species, not up to hearts to decide but cold and calculated guidelines outlined with the best intentions of the animals and human population in mind. We cannot ask the animals what they want, they cannot communicate it to us, by I have good money on LIVE!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Yes the rescue part is what I think should continue, why is the vancouver council having a say in that part of the aquarium topic anyway, I don't think they thought this through very well at all. Now with this newest turn of events sick or injured animals in the ocean get no help at all and left to die, makes no sense at all.
    1 Fluval Spec V tank set up right now.
    ​Future set up will be a planted Fluval Osaka 155 cube tank with a HOB Seachem Tidal 55 power filter, a large sponge filter and a Eheim 2236 canister filter, lighting will be a Kessil a160we Tuna Sun with a dawn to dusk Kessil Spectra controller and pressurized Co2

I could be wrong on this, but suppose the rescued cetaceans "accidentally" mate, producing young that could not be released to the wild? And suppose the number of rescued cetaceans was greater than the ability of the aquarium to house them. What then? Sell the rescues to Seaworld where they could end up in trick-shows? I am being a bit sarcastic here, but then again...

One thing the press hasn't picked up on is the relentless expansion of the aquarium. They just keep growing and growing, expanding the whale tanks every few years. I think the Parks Board wants to put a stop to this endless expansion. As a taxpayer I just hope Vancouverites are getting a good deal for whatever we rent the land out to the Aquarium for. I wish the Aquarium was forced to publish its accounting books for the public to see.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Newbie

I was at the aquarium a few weeks ago and it hasn't really expanded much, just some rearrangement and larger entry/gift shop from what I can see.
    The orca pool has become several habitats for rescues.
    But relentless expansion?

More stupidity by the greenie liberals who won't stop until everyone else is as miserable as they themselves are. They give even granola a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by fireweed View Post
    I was at the aquarium a few weeks ago and it hasn't really expanded much, just some rearrangement and larger entry/gift shop from what I can see.
    The orca pool has become several habitats for rescues.
    But relentless expansion?
    It was only in 2014 they opened their last expansion: Client Validation

Now they have plans for another expansion: Vancouver Aquarium phasing out its captive beluga whale program | Vancouver Sun

https://www.google.ca/search?q=vanco...w=1280&bih=800

I remember 20 years ago a lot of people were upset by the aquarium wanting to expand almost all the way down to Lumberman's Arch. The public put a stop to that, but the Aquarium was allowed to expand its footprint to the west. At the time I remember the Aquarium saying "That's it. We won't expand any more!".

The Aquarium is all about business and tourism now. It is "infotainment" and an economic generator. I have no problem with that, but again I just hope the city is getting a fair slice of the $$$ pie. And maybe it is time to say "enough is enough" as far as their development goes, and their keeping of whales. Either that or say to hell with it and relocate the PNE there and put in a world class theme park with a super high roller-coaster that provides views of English Bay. I am sure that would pack in even more tourists!
    Last edited by stratos; 5 Days Ago at 08:45 AM.

Forum Newbie

Some of us work in tourist driven industries and directly see the benefits of tourist dollars.
    And all of us benefit from taxes.
    As mentioned I don't like seeing even rescued whales in captivity as that alone if for the benefit of busybodies and bleeding hearts and yes even profit, but again as mentioned the aquarium does a tonne of work with conservation and education and as with everything a compromise should be considered.

Super Moderator SeaHorse_Fanatic's Avatar

Any ban by the current Parks Board, from what I heard on the news a few days ago, may be reversed by future Parks Board directors if they vote to allow whales for rescue purposes.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456