British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

Become a Premium Member

48K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  bigbookworld 
#1 ·
Hello!

BC Aquaria offers a Premium Membership for those wanting a little more out of their usage here on BCA.

Here are the perks associated with being a PREMIUM MEMBER:

-Your Pm inbox increases from 100 pm's to 400 pm's. That means your inbox does not get so full so quickly giving you an opportunity to save more pm's for history.
-Custom Rank/Title
-Customized Signatures including putting banners in

To become a PREMIUM MEMBER:

Follow this link:
http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/payments.php

-Under the "PREMIUM MEMBER" row select "CA$25.00" or "CA$15.00" from the pull-down menu and click the "Order" button

Your PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP status takes effect immediately. You may want to log out and in to refresh your account.

See less See more
#5 ·
Hi guys,

Just a question as my Donator status is expiring this month. I know that many of us did "donate" to the cause when Shawn and Clarence were running this site on their on their own dime. I totally get that and was very happy to donate to a community that was run by hobbyists and I enjoy being a part of. However, now that the site is owned by Vertical Scope and run purely as a business, I have to ask myself what exactly is the purpose of soliciting donations? I understand that Donator status provides the user with some additional perks, i.e. more PM room, etc. Perhaps the "Donator" status should be renamed to something more appropriate? Call it a VIP member or whatever. Thoughts?

Tony

#6 ·
I am kind of curious. I was thinking about it, and I don't think there have been many prize giveaways of late and no donator only prizes at all for probably a year. I was reminded of this when I saw:
-From time to time we have donator only prizes. In the past we have done aquarium setups, Metal Halide lights, etc.

I did a search and I could only find a prize give away in October of last year, of any sort, besides the Marine photo contest, which was not open to everyone on BCA (people without SW have a tough time entering). So will this be re-implemented? Or was this just an accidental cut and paste?

#8 ·
My thoughts exactly. Lots of sites charge extra for "premium" memberships. As much as I don't like that practice, I understand that for many sites, its part of a business model that allows them to continue on. I remember back in my university days, my hardcore PC gaming buddies had a few sites / gaming servers set up. Back when there was no web ads/other monetization of web traffic, running an enthusiast site or a gaming server was always something of a "pass the hat around the table" and see what we can get from our friends/members. Sometimes it was some "donated" server hardware, sometimes it was some "donated" bandwidth. Often times it was simply "donated" time from the members who volunteered to moderate or provide technical support/services. If this site is now corporately owned, I'm going to make the presumption that beyond the mods' time (thank you guys and gals!) everything else is no longer applicable.

#10 ·
Thank you for your feedback guys. I did cut and paste from the original thread posting made by Shawn/Clarence years ago to give some update to the program in terms of who you guys can contact about questions regarding to this. I am in favor of changing the name of the program to something more appropriate to reflect the present status of BCA. Let me run this by a few people and see when we can get this done.

#17 ·
current size limit for signature pix/banner is listed on image below:

if it helps, my banner is about the max size allowed.
and yes just about anything can be in the banner excluding advertising, websites and such.

#20 ·
John: Thanks for the details, I never saw that.

Crazy72: I've PM'd Gary as he is a donator. I don't see ads, but I'm also a moderator, and I've set up windows to block a lot of domains, so I can't confirm myself as either one of those may be why I don't see them.

#28 ·
I might be wrong, but I believe paypal is the only payment option at the moment.
Paypal is free to set up and use. Could always get a prepaid CC and use that.

#29 ·
Yeah, a prepaid credit card and a paypal account (free) would be the way to go. Might have to pay $1 or so to send a money transaction though.

Keep switching pre-paid credit cards as necessary with the same account. You wouldn't even need to be a verified member since it would be sent as a gift\service, and not need a confirmed shipping address.

#31 ·
Yungster, can you help me with my premium membership? I have had a "donator" membership for years and it seems that is now called a premium membership. A couple of days ago, I noticed that t had expired. I purchased a new premium membership and it doesn't seem to have kicked in even though I have logged out and in again several times. I'm still being invited to purchase a premium membership. I do have my receipt from PayPal. What should I do?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.