Angel Pair has spawned!!!
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Angel Pair has spawned!!!

This is a discussion on Angel Pair has spawned!!! within the Breeding/Spawning Section forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; Hi, I am new to BCAquaria and this is my first post in this forum. I have a breeding pair ...

Forum Newbie

DefaultAngel Pair has spawned!!!

Hi, I am new to BCAquaria and this is my first post in this forum.

I have a breeding pair of angel fish, in a 10G breeder tank, and they spawned about 3 days ago. I know the tank is way too small for the breeding pair, but that is all I had as a spare tank. I am hoping to move them into a 20Ga tank soon. The mother is fanning and protecting the eggs and dad is overseeing the eggs as well. I can start to see tails forming and I suspect they will be wigglers soon. The water temperature is 80F, and there is a AQ30 hob filter set to low and with a sponge prefilter on the intake tube. I also have a sponge filter as well. Moreover, I have a large Marina breeder box set up on the back of the 10G tank, with a small 40gph power head pump set to low to move water from the 10G tank into the breeder box. It works very well. I have a sponge in the marina box outflow area to prevent fry from being pushed out of the breeder box and into the 10G tank. Problem is the water temp in the breeder box is only about 76-77F, which is about 3-4F cooler than the 10 tank. I was originally planning to use a turkey baster and suck up the eggs and soon to be wigglers into the breeder box, but I am concerned about the temperature differential. I don't have a small heat to put inside the 0.5Gal marina breeder box. I was hoping by putting the eggs/wigglers inside the breeder box, it would be easier to feed the fry, and less change of the parents eating them. I am also feeding generously pellets to the parents so that they don't get hungry and consider the fry snack.

If I had the angel pair in a 20G tank, I would have taken the breeding slate with the fertilized eggs out and moved the eggs into the breeder box that would be hanging on the 10G tank and just raise the heat on the 10G tank to 85-86F and account for the temperature differential in the hob breeder box so that the breeder box temp would be 80F, like it is in the 20G breeder tank. But that is not the case now, so I have to make do with what I have now to ensure a successful fry hatch.

Do you guys/gals think I should chance, moving the eggs/wigglers into the breeder box even though it would be 3-4F cooler?
    Should I just leave the wigglers with the parents. I only have Hikari first bites and I am not sure if the 10G tank is too large for the fry that they would have a hard time finding food. I suspect it would be a lot easier with feeding for the fry and for myself doing it in the breeder box.

What do you think of my approach, and do you have any suggestions that I may try to ensure a success in breeding the angels.

Thanks and all the best

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Newbie

Oh, I also forgot to mention that the tank is bare bottom, with a few pieces of hornwort plants floating about.
    Thanks.

Are you able to put the parents in the 20 gallon tank?I would leave the babies in the 10 gallon and put sponge over your intake.
    75 gallon planted community tank
    25 gallon planted,dwarf chiclids,pencil fish,tetras
    16 gallon Bushynose Pleco
    Aquastyle 9 planted shrimp
    6 gallon Starphire
    Aqueoun 8 cube shrimp tank
    7 gallon bow front shrimp tank
    Top fin 3 gallon shrimp tank
    Mr Aqua 12 planted tank
    Aqueoun 2 shrimp tank
    Top fin 5 gallon shrimp tank

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Newbie

Thanks for your post Jousters,

I don't have the 20G yet, that is the problem. I already have sponges over the intake, but the problem is that the angel pairs are big poopers. I have to use a siphon to get rid of the poop at the bottom of the tank, but every time, I stick the siphon in the tank, it freaks and stresses the angel pair. They may end up eating the eggs or wigglers. I usually do 10-25 percent weekly water changes, so I have using the 10G as a sump for the breeder box, makes it a lot easier for me to do maintain and clean the water and not risk having the parents eat the wigglers/fry.

Thoughts?