5th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: cpat83 - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

5th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: cpat83

This is a discussion on 5th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: cpat83 within the CAF Annual Discus Grow-out Contest forums, part of the Canadian Aqua Farm Discus Hatchery category; Ya... This is a problem I had in the past. I actually had 9 discus fry in a 55g and ...

Forum Snooper

Ya... This is a problem I had in the past. I actually had 9 discus fry in a 55g and they didn't do well. I ended up losing the whole lot of them. Im not sure if it was due to a bacteria or if the tank was to big and they didn't feel secure enough to come out and eat or if it was to gas bubble disease. This is going to be my second time trying to grow fry and I'm starting with the 20g and working them up as they get bigger. Luckily the fry we got for this challenge are already a good size to start wth. I've also found with some of my other discus is that if its bare on the bottom they didn't feel comfortable... I think its because they didn't have a sense of the "bottom" of the tank? who knows.. lol. but they are definately skidding fish so putting something on the sides will help them from seeing to much outside of the tank.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Novice

Well they are definitely eating. They seem to be quite fond of frozen krill, they hide like a bunch of cowards but I do see them eating almost all the food off the bottom as soon as it hits there.

I would like to get them to be more free-spirited, but I don't know what to do. Maybe it is worth it to downsize them into a tank with a smaller foot print. I have a 35 gallon they could move into that is 30ish inches in length.

Forum Snooper

Hey man. I was just reviewing your first post because i did notice that when i came to pick up the tank your discus were huddled in one area still. Have you tried taking out the sponge filter or the hob. I think they are huddling in an area where there is less current. Young discus are really weak swimmers... you have other discus in a high current environment and they are doing well but it may be because they are adults... just a thought.

Maybe try putting your ac110 to the lowest setting and take out the sponge filter. One thing i recently learnt is that having a lot of filteration isnt necessary when growing discus because your doing your daily water changes. Some breeders dont use filters at all when growing discus because they are contantly changing out the water.

Who knows though.. maybe they are swimming around when your not looking... lol
    Last edited by Thaim; 06-13-2016 at 11:31 PM.

Forum Novice

Yes I thought about it, but they do swim around when I'm not walking around. They are still out in the garage and I don't think they are getting as used to traffic as they would in the house. I've been meaning to re-locate them but I have been extremely busy with work this past month and haven't had any time spare for 30 minutes to do a 50% w/c and wipe of the tank and 2-3 feedings per day.

Forum Novice

Update - still feeding FDBW, Some NLS Flake, Some Frozen Blood Worm, Krill and Plankton.

50% w/c daily... haven't changed anything from the start.

Canadian_Aqua_Farm likes this.

Forum Novice

Update -
    Have moved them from my garage into my house in a 120 gal tank. Are housed with a few other discus now and have become way more social. Will post pics shortly.
    Dou likes this.

Forum Novice

Forum Novice

update for august -
    2 of the 5 discus died this month, not sure why. They were both the runts of the pack. have been keeping up with water changes and feeding. Other than that, seems to be going okay... not sure if other people have better lighting with their fish because mine do not look the same as others. I was trying to post this yesterday but had issues with the internet on my end.

here is a picture

Forum Novice

Update for Sept 2016 -

The trio still alive and well. Looking more confident. Still have them on the black worms... nothing much else to report "the status quo"

Last edited by cpat83; 10-01-2016 at 09:35 AM.
    Canadian_Aqua_Farm likes this.

Great to see things have stabilized from last month. They are looking more comfortable. Keep it up
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast