5th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: thaim - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

5th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: thaim

This is a discussion on 5th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: thaim within the CAF Annual Discus Grow-out Contest forums, part of the Canadian Aqua Farm Discus Hatchery category; Originally Posted by Thaim Sad news... I lost 1 of my blue diamonds this morning... what am I doing wrong.... ...

Quote Originally Posted by Thaim View Post
    Sad news... I lost 1 of my blue diamonds this morning... what am I doing wrong....
    Bloating is bacteria. In that case raising the temperature will speed up the bacteria. For bacteria the temperature needs to be lowered and treatment should be with antibiotics. Raising the temperature is great for protozoan infections such as hexamita (white poop) and ich. Assuming none of the other discus are showing symptoms I would recommend keeping conditions stable, daily water changes, 86F, multiple feedings of high protein food and no medications. Let them have some time to settle into their new home. The other thing to be careful about is using media from a different discus tank to seed the new tank. Especially if the old discus are from a different source than the new discus there is a risk of introducing bugs that the new discus don't have immunity to. This is especially true during the first week when the new discus are already a bit stressed from the move and their immune systems are lowered they are going to be more susceptible to getting sick. I prefer a completely sterile tank for new arrivals.
    Jousters and wslam like this.
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Snooper

It is quite stocked but i have 3 other tanks im going to gradually move them up to as they grow. I wantes to put them in the 20g first so they can feel more comfortable.

Forum Snooper

Sucks losing fish. Sorry to hear that. I tried this, seems to work.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/881745...&ref=bookmarks

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Snooper

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_Aqua_Farm View Post
    Sad news... I lost 1 of my blue diamonds this morning... what am I doing wrong....
    Bloating is bacteria. In that case raising the temperature will speed up the bacteria. For bacteria the temperature needs to be lowered and treatment should be with antibiotics. Raising the temperature is great for protozoan infections such as hexamita (white poop) and ich. Assuming none of the other discus are showing symptoms I would recommend keeping conditions stable, daily water changes, 86F, multiple feedings of high protein food and no medications. Let them have some time to settle into their new home. The other thing to be careful about is using media from a different discus tank to seed the new tank. Especially if the old discus are from a different source than the new discus there is a risk of introducing bugs that the new discus don't have immunity to. This is especially true during the first week when the new discus are already a bit stressed from the move and their immune systems are lowered they are going to be more susceptible to getting sick. I prefer a completely sterile tank for new arrivals.
    Thanks for the advice but unfortunately the seeding is already done =(. The rest of the fish are doing awesomem they are swimming vigorously and eating well. Not eating as much as id like them to but eating which is good a very good sign.
    Last edited by Thaim; 05-23-2016 at 06:47 PM.

Forum Beginner

I have 7 in a 33gal...if enough water changes i think its possible...but have to be onner! I fighting with agression tho too Thaim...The lowest can become weak fast if it cant get the food it needs...I'm actually about to move my most dominant Scorpion tomorrow to my bigger grow out cuz he's such a Pain...He needs to feel some domination lol

Forum Snooper

Quote Originally Posted by Marko1 View Post
    I have 7 in a 33gal...if enough water changes i think its possible...but have to be onner! I fighting with agression tho too Thaim...The lowest can become weak fast if it cant get the food it needs...I'm actually about to move my most dominant Scorpion tomorrow to my bigger grow out cuz he's such a Pain...He needs to feel some domination lol
    Haha! make him feel the domination! =P and yes I will have to do a lot of water changes.

Forum Snooper

Here's an update with them swimming in the tank!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLsTt587qVc
    Canadian_Aqua_Farm likes this.

Forum Snooper

Ok, so I've noticed a little bit of darting and rubbing against the heater. I'm going to be using prazipro for the next 5 days just for safe measures.

Forum Snooper

Stopping the prazi pro. The darting was from the 100% water changes from straight tap water. The fry are far to sensetive to the micro bubbles. I'll have to use a new method.

Im think of moving them on up to the 33g so i wont need to do the larger wc's or aging the water.

Any ideas?

Stopping the prazi pro. The darting was from the 100% water changes from straight tap water. The fry are far to sensetive to the micro bubbles. I'll have to use a new method.

Im think of moving them on up to the 33g so i wont need to do the larger wc's or aging the water.

Any ideas?
    Why not all 3? Move them up to 33g, age the water and do large water charges.
    Apparent "SJW for the aquarist that can't travel or doesn't want to." Fighting for your right to ask for delivery since 2016!

ADA 45P Shrimp & Buce Tank
    ADA 60P High Tech Planted - Addicted to Stems!
    ADA 90P CAF Discus Grow Out Contest

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast