5th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: thaim - Page 3
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

5th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: thaim

This is a discussion on 5th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: thaim within the CAF Annual Discus Grow-out Contest forums, part of the Canadian Aqua Farm Discus Hatchery category; Originally Posted by battmanh Why not all 3? Move them up to 33g, age the water and do large water ...

Forum Snooper

Quote Originally Posted by battmanh View Post
    Why not all 3? Move them up to 33g, age the water and do large water charges.
    I'm going to try this but i dont exactly have the best set up for this. Aging 33g of water would be pretty difficult for me. Is there something yoy can suggest to age that much water at once? I dont have a lot of room currently to be aging that much water.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Thaim View Post
    I'm going to try this but i dont exactly have the best set up for this. Aging 33g of water would be pretty difficult for me. Is there something yoy can suggest to age that much water at once? I dont have a lot of room currently to be aging that much water.
    There is a 32 gallon Brute garbage bin that can be used to age water. Its what I use.
    Apparent "SJW for the aquarist that can't travel or doesn't want to." Fighting for your right to ask for delivery since 2016!

ADA 45P Shrimp & Buce Tank
    ADA 60P High Tech Planted - Addicted to Stems!
    ADA 90P CAF Discus Grow Out Contest

Forum Beginner

i use 2- 55G drums in my setup underneath my 55g tank - Bought them from a garden store food grade with lids. were like 45$ ea. age 24h with air agitation and heated to temp. Works great...have used the brute garbage can too before.
    guppygeorge likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Snooper

Wow, you guys... well then I'm going to need to step my game up if I'm going to win this competition lol! I went out and bought myself a 32g garbage bin to age water in. Also, moving them up to the 33g. The water is getting way to dirty. They just eat so much! I'm going to prime the water and let it sit for roughly 30 mins and then pump it into the tank. I don't have an extra heater kicking around. Unfortunately, one of my heaters burnt out... I haven't even had the heater for a year and I didn't keep the receipt...

Forum Snooper

Quote Originally Posted by Marko1 View Post
    i use 2- 55G drums in my setup underneath my 55g tank - Bought them from a garden store food grade with lids. were like 45$ ea. age 24h with air agitation and heated to temp. Works great...have used the brute garbage can too before.
    I'd love to see a complete over view of your set up under your tank with the drums.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaim View Post
    Wow, you guys... well then I'm going to need to step my game up if I'm going to win this competition lol! I went out and bought myself a 32g garbage bin to age water in. Also, moving them up to the 33g. The water is getting way to dirty. They just eat so much! I'm going to prime the water and let it sit for roughly 30 mins and then pump it into the tank. I don't have an extra heater kicking around. Unfortunately, one of my heaters burnt out... I haven't even had the heater for a year and I didn't keep the receipt...
    Your plan seems fine. Just be sure to check parameters (pH, temperature) of the tank water and aged water to ensure they're the same. If parameters aren't the same then it might be a good idea to invest in a heater and age the water for a longer period of time.
    Apparent "SJW for the aquarist that can't travel or doesn't want to." Fighting for your right to ask for delivery since 2016!

ADA 45P Shrimp & Buce Tank
    ADA 60P High Tech Planted - Addicted to Stems!
    ADA 90P CAF Discus Grow Out Contest

Forum Snooper

Alright, I've moved my discus to the 33g tank. They seem to be a lot happier with the extra room to swim. I went out and purchased a pump to get the water into the tank for $30, and I've also added a sponge filter. While I was at Rogers Aquatics I noticed they had some duck weed. I thought it would be a great idea for me to purchase some to help out as an "extra filter". I've had duckweed in the past and this stuff grows like weeds! This is a a good thing because that means its eating up excess ammonia/nitrites/nitrate and its the only plant that works in a bare bones tank. Before I put the duckweed in the tank I soaked it in a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water for one minute to hopefully kill off any bad bacteria that the discus may catch.

I did my first water change today of aged water for 3 hours and noticed a significant difference in the micro bubbles.
    Last edited by Thaim; 05-28-2016 at 06:36 PM.

Forum Beginner

It'll make a huge difference using aged water. I used to do straight up tap water changes and lost many fish this way. Now I'm using my 50 g barrel aaerated and heated to the same tempfor 24 he. I also been adding aquaplus to be safe not sure if necessary but I feel better lol.

Forum Snooper

Quote Originally Posted by Mikee View Post
    It'll make a huge difference using aged water. I used to do straight up tap water changes and lost many fish this way. Now I'm using my 50 g barrel aaerated and heated to the same tempfor 24 he. I also been adding aquaplus to be safe not sure if necessary but I feel better lol.
    Ya, I still prime my water just to be on the safe side. You can never be to safe with young discus I guess haha. Also noticing that they seem to like the loose worms better then cubes. The cubes make them aggressive but with the scattered worms they don't bother eachother. I guess the cubes make them feel like they need to compete for food.
    Last edited by Thaim; 05-29-2016 at 12:46 AM.

Forum Beginner

bar2.jpg - Hey Thaim - Here is a picture...So my Tanks are on the lower level in the house so I Run hose into the tanks and have a Sump pump from a old reef tank i use to pump water in and out...I just hook up the hose and tank then drain/ Fill...The one thing is i have a drain right in my room here and also running water from here that i fill the barrels back up with a hose from. Was just changing and filling in this photo but it does the job quite quick to replace alot of water . I do bucket a bit still(As i still clean tank bottoms into a pail...I will change that one day here too to go down the drain then no buckets per say lol

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast