5th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: thaim - Page 4
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree10Likes

5th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: thaim

This is a discussion on 5th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: thaim within the CAF Annual Discus Grow-out Contest forums, part of the Canadian Aqua Farm Discus Hatchery category; Originally Posted by Marko1 Attachment 128866 - Hey Thaim - Here is a picture...So my Tanks are on the lower ...

Forum Snooper

Quote Originally Posted by Marko1 View Post
    Attachment 128866 - Hey Thaim - Here is a picture...So my Tanks are on the lower level in the house so I Run hose into the tanks and have a Sump pump from a old reef tank i use to pump water in and out...I just hook up the hose and tank then drain/ Fill...The one thing is i have a drain right in my room here and also running water from here that i fill the barrels back up with a hose from. Was just changing and filling in this photo but it does the job quite quick to replace alot of water . I do bucket a bit still(As i still clean tank bottoms into a pail...I will change that one day here too to go down the drain then no buckets per say lol
    Awesome set up! I wish I had something like this right now. Are those the contest discus? they look quite large. I have a small portion of my garage I'm going to turn into a fish room. I need to install a sink but I don't know how to nor have the money to get one installed at the moment. I can't wait until my fish room is done!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Beginner

haha No those are my Brilliant Turks and a breeding pair Red Turk / Leopard. My Plan here is to get a stand soon and tanks drilled so i can link them together in stackers....I need to build some shelving tho so i can squeeze it in LOL 2 -55's stacked and over flow filters prebuilt into both with easy cleaning tops with Lava stone bio inside and heater and they will just have a big Sump circulating in a loop....Goals...lol

Forum Snooper

Goals indeed marko! Im super stoked. I just picked up a 75g with stand for $100. I dont know what I'm gna do with it but I just might make it another grow out discus tank

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Snooper

Hey guys. I'm due for an update. I dont have the best pic but here it is.

Ive been feeding these guys FDBW and FBW so they have some variety. Im also feeding them a minimum of 3 times a day. Ive also moved them into my 55g tank which is running 2 AC50 and a sponge filter. The temp is at 86 degrees.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Forum Snooper

Hey guys. Here's an update on my discus grow out tank.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClh...uYtIG2oOCn4egQ

Forum Snooper

IMG_5682.jpgIMG_5683.jpgIMG_5684.jpg
    An update on the discus. Its hard to get decent photos of them because they are so skiddish. It took awhile to get them to come out. I'm currently treating them for fin burns. Aside from that everything is good. They are still not used to getting large water changes straight from tap(which I just did). The large water changes straight from tap stress them out. Still trying to ween them into the full 80-90%. I'm doing 50% water changes every 1-2 days but in addition I frequently suck out poop at the bottom to keep the tank clean to avoid having to do large water changes. This is a technique I learnt from a retired German man who has kept discus for over 40 years. It's really paying off!
    Canadian_Aqua_Farm likes this.

Frequent siphoning of the bottom is an awesome strategy for maintaining water quality. The large water changes being so stressful on them makes me wonder if some parameter is drastically different between the old water and the incoming tap water. Usually those big changes shouldn't stress them at all.
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

Forum Snooper

sad news. one of the leopard discus is very sick. hasn't ate in more then a week. im almost 100% certain he/she isn't going to make it.

Can you move it to a separate tank. Raise the heat into the low 90's and try offering some live food. That can help to cure hunger strikes.
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

Forum Snooper

Sorry to say he didn't make it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234