5th CAF Annual Discus Grow-out Contest entry journal - 2wheelsx2 - Page 3
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

5th CAF Annual Discus Grow-out Contest entry journal - 2wheelsx2

This is a discussion on 5th CAF Annual Discus Grow-out Contest entry journal - 2wheelsx2 within the CAF Annual Discus Grow-out Contest forums, part of the Canadian Aqua Farm Discus Hatchery category; Hi Luke, I have a breeding group of L260 in there, 2 L177, 5 L239 and a small breeding group ...

Hi Luke, I have a breeding group of L260 in there, 2 L177, 5 L239 and a small breeding group of L134 in there. I am hoping that the L239 will eventually breed in there. The discus don't mind it, but they don't like to be in it all the time. They will go to the corner where the flow is a lot lower, beside the powerhead, when they want to rest. I need that flow in there to keep the L260 breeding. It doesn't seem to bother the discus when they are hungry.
    My 100 gallon square tank
    My pleco picture thread
    46 Gallon Bowfront
    ADA Cube Garden
    Saving the world from being plecoless, one at a time....
    No more sig pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Addicted

Wow quite a few groups in there. Are you ever worried about stocking levels? I remember my previous setup worrying about everyone getting enough to eat especially the discus. I am sure your group there gets to snack on any left overs. Correct me if I am wrong on that.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsx2 View Post
    Hi Luke, I have a breeding group of L260 in there, 2 L177, 5 L239 and a small breeding group of L134 in there. I am hoping that the L239 will eventually breed in there. The discus don't mind it, but they don't like to be in it all the time. They will go to the corner where the flow is a lot lower, beside the powerhead, when they want to rest. I need that flow in there to keep the L260 breeding. It doesn't seem to bother the discus when they are hungry.
    PLECOHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEMBER # 24
    WILD BROWN DISCUS KEEPER

Quote Originally Posted by Luke78 View Post
    Wow quite a few groups in there. Are you ever worried about stocking levels? I remember my previous setup worrying about everyone getting enough to eat especially the discus. I am sure your group there gets to snack on any left overs. Correct me if I am wrong on that.
    Food is never a problem. I was worried about stocking levels so I sold a whole pile of L260 juvies a while back. If you are interested in some let me know. Since I do daily wc now for the discus I am not too worried about stocking levels, plus the Anubias take care of quite a bit of the wastes. Before I added the discus I was only doing once a week wc and was having to add potassium and phosphates to the tank as the plants used the nutrients up.
    My pleco picture thread
    46 Gallon Bowfront
    ADA Cube Garden
    No more sig pics

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Snooper

wow they are big! gj!

Quote Originally Posted by Thaim View Post
    wow they are big! gj!
    Thanks. I was just looking at them last night and I was worried as they don't seem to be growing as fast as in the beginning, but I guess that's normal as they get bigger.
    My pleco picture thread
    46 Gallon Bowfront
    ADA Cube Garden
    No more sig pics

Forum Addicted

Gary,

Thanks for the offer. Gotta say you sure know your plecos though and getting them to breed is a plus. No luck on my end yet but gonna change my setup soon and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsx2 View Post
    Food is never a problem. I was worried about stocking levels so I sold a whole pile of L260 juvies a while back. If you are interested in some let me know. Since I do daily wc now for the discus I am not too worried about stocking levels, plus the Anubias take care of quite a bit of the wastes. Before I added the discus I was only doing once a week wc and was having to add potassium and phosphates to the tank as the plants used the nutrients up.
    PLECOHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEMBER # 24
    WILD BROWN DISCUS KEEPER

Don't worry, they just take time. It took me almost 2 years of keeping my L260 group before they started breeding and now they are very prolific.
    My pleco picture thread
    46 Gallon Bowfront
    ADA Cube Garden
    No more sig pics

Oops, I thought I had August, but I missed it. I had shot photos too. First, on with the good:

1. Discus were growing rapidly and I had a week long vacation in August, so they didn't get fed or water changes for a week and survived just fine.
    2. Prior to getting new windows in the house, which would hamper my ability to do water changes, I caught them and put them with my other discus in the 100 gallon cube.

3. 4 days ago I noticed one cowering in the corner. This has always been the runt. He seemed to be eating, so I just continued doing what I was doing. At this point, I have been too busy with school starting with the kids and all so I was averaging 4 wc a week instead of 7.

Now the bad:

4. 2 days ago the little guy was a goner.

So now I only have 4 contest fish but they all seem to be doing well. I really don't know what happened to the little guy except possibly bullying, which I thought with 4 other discus in the tank should not be a problem.

Here is a vid of them. The other fish are my remaining first discus - the Cuipera X from Forrest that I got from April years ago, 2 brilliant turks from Rick, 1 red turk from April in the spring (who seems to want to be in the centre of the vid all the time).

My pleco picture thread
    46 Gallon Bowfront
    ADA Cube Garden
    No more sig pics

Thanks for the excellent update The leopards are growing up nicely.
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

Forum Novice

I think that is what happened to mine as well, I moved them into a tank with 5 other discus...2 really big ones, which usually fight with each other from time to time however I believe one of them picked on my runt from the contest group....I actually had 2 runts that didnt seem to grow and the other 3 starting to look significantly bigger.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast