5th CAF Discus Grow Out Contest Official Rules & Entry
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

5th CAF Discus Grow Out Contest Official Rules & Entry

This is a discussion on 5th CAF Discus Grow Out Contest Official Rules & Entry within the CAF Annual Discus Grow-out Contest forums, part of the Canadian Aqua Farm Discus Hatchery category; 5th CAF Discus Grow Out Contest #cafgrow Special thanks to Forrest for helping sponsor this contest! Above are the discus ...

Red face5th CAF Discus Grow Out Contest Official Rules & Entry

5th CAF Discus Grow Out Contest
    #cafgrow

Special thanks to Forrest for helping sponsor this contest! Above are the discus that will be distributed to participants.

I am excited to announce the official rules and entry for the 5th CAF Discus Grow Out Contest. Below you will find all of the details required to submit your entry. Please read over this post carefully and make sure that you are able to commit to all that is required. Keep in mind that monthly updates accompanied by photos and/or video are expected however one huge change for this contest is that updates can be posted on Instagram, Twitter and/or Facebook using the hashtag #cafgrow One other thing to keep in mind is that I may start a 6th Grow Out Contest in the fall/winter of 2016 in which case there may be some overlap with this contest however both contests would be completely independent from each other

Overview:
    Each entrant in the grow out contest will receive a group of five Leopard discus around 3" total length that were imported from Forrest Discus. The cost will be $175 (shipping if required is extra). In order to distribute the discus in the most fair manner possible each group of discus will be selected by me and contain an equal representation of sizes/patterns/shapes (no customer selection allowed). Each contestant will grow their discus until December 31st, 2016. At the end of that time each contestant will select the one discus from their group that they feel is the best and submit photos for judging. During the period of the contest each contestant will maintain a thread in Canadian Aqua Farm's sponsor section that will need to be updated at least once a month with current photos and or video for the entire duration of the contest. All contestants that provide at least one update accompanied with a photo or video in each of the calendar months that the contest runs will receive a $50 gift CAF gift certificate.

Entries will be accepted until all 12 groups of contest fish are gone
    Start date: Early May, 2016
    End date: December 31st, 2016
    Winners Announced: January, 2017
    *Please only enter if you are serious about seeing the contest through from start to finish.

Hobbyists of all experience levels are encouraged to enter. First time keepers are welcome. In order for your entry to be valid you must agree to the following:
    1. Each member is limited to one entry.
    2. Each participant must start a thread in the grow out contest sub forum CAF Annual Discus Grow-out Contest at the start of the contest detailing their set-up and plan for growing the discus. Subsequent updates can be posted to that thread and/or on social media using the hashtag #cafgrow For participants updating on social media only I will transfer the photos to their BCA thread from time to time.
    3. Must be willing and able to post photo updates on BCA or social media including the hashtag #cafgrow at least once in each calendar month. Including details about the frequency of water changes, feedings and so on is encouraged.
    4. Must be able to pick up contest fish in Maple Ridge. Long distance participants are welcome but must pay all shipping costs associated with receiving the fish ($40-$95 depending on location).
    5. Must be able to provide suitable living conditions for a group of juvenile discus. If you are unsure if your set-up is suitable please feel free to contact me for guidance.
    6. Must not mix the contest discus with any other similar looking strains. It's ok to mix with other discus strains that look significantly different. We just need to be able to easily distinguish which fish are in the contest and which are not.
    7. Agree that I may repost your contest photos on my website, social media and/or BC Aquaria.

Judging:
    The contest will end on December 31st, 2016. Participants will be expected to submit photos of their best one fish for assessment. A deadline for submitting these photos will be posted closer to the end of the contest. I will find an expert or possibly a panel of experts to do the judging.

Required is one profile photo showing the fish from the side, it should not be angled towards nor away from the camera and it should be as clear as possible. This photo will be used to judge the following criteria:

Body Shape (roundness, smooth contours, lack of blemishes) /10
    Fins (shape, balance, rays well formed, lack of blemishes) /10
    Eyes (shape, proportion to body, colour) /10
    Gill/Head Structure (well formed with smooth contours) /10
    Colour (intensity, pattern) /10
    Health (erect fins, bright colours, clear eyes, etc) /10
    Overall Impression /10

The second photo needs to show the fish with a ruler or measuring tape on top of it's body. This photo will be used to judge the size of the fish and points will be awarded as follows.

Over 3" +5.0 points
    Over 3.5" +7.5 points
    Over 4" +10.0 points
    Over 4.5" +12.5 points
    Over 5" +15.0 points
    Over 5.5" +17.5 points
    Over 6" +20.0 points

The third criteria that points will be awarded for is participation. One point will be awarded for each calendar month in which an update accompanied by video and/or photos is posted (starting May 2016 and running through to December 2016). More frequent updates are welcome and encouraged This will add up to a possible 8 points and may be a significant factor in the final placement.

Prizes:
    1st, 2nd and 3rd place will receive plaques. 1st place will also have a photo of their fish posted in the CAF Hall Of Fame located at the bottom of this page. All participants that provide a photo or video update in each of the 8 months (May 2016 to December 2016) will receive a $50 CAF gift certificate.

How to enter:
    Please send me a PM expressing your interest to enter the contest. Upon receipt of your entry I will send you a confirmation. If you do not hear from me or see your user ID below then please contact me.

Confirmed entries:
    1. Battmahn (picked up)
    2. Marko1 (shipped out)
    3. 2wheelsx2 (picked up)
    4. cpat83 (picked up)
    5. Ocean (picked up)
    6. Kurt (picked up)
    7. Mikee (shipped out)
    8. Thaim (picked up)
    Last edited by Canadian_Aqua_Farm; 05-21-2016 at 08:06 PM. Reason: entry confirmed
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Beginner

lets see some competition! confirm your entries guys and gals!!
    battmanh likes this.

Forum Novice

I am IN!!! Should be fun!
    Marko1 and guppygeorge like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cpat83 View Post
    I am IN!!! Should be fun!
    Good luck Cory. I am sure you will really enjoy it. Rick is awesome and is always makes himself readily available to help all contestants

Forum Beginner

alright lets get this going!

Forum Beginner

thaim i recognize you from Simply! - Time to go into comp together

Forum Snooper

Good luck everyone! I would love to participate but I'll be gone for a month in June. I might be able to join the December round though

Here they are, the contest fish waiting to go on to their new homes. They have huge appetites and are ready to grow
    hamburgerhelper and Jousters like this.
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

Beautiful fish! And great size to work with too!
    Canadian_Aqua_Farm likes this.
    My 100 gallon square tank
    My pleco picture thread
    46 Gallon Bowfront
    ADA Cube Garden
    Saving the world from being plecoless, one at a time....
    No more sig pics

Forum Snooper

Lets do this. Im in. When do we start
    Canadian_Aqua_Farm likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast