6th Annual CAF Grow out Contest Journal: lebon
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

6th Annual CAF Grow out Contest Journal: lebon

This is a discussion on 6th Annual CAF Grow out Contest Journal: lebon within the CAF Annual Discus Grow-out Contest forums, part of the Canadian Aqua Farm Discus Hatchery category; Hi I am happy to be part of the 6th CAF Grow Out Contest. I have been a fish keeper ...

Default6th Annual CAF Grow out Contest Journal: lebon

Hi

I am happy to be part of the 6th CAF Grow Out Contest. I have been a fish keeper for many years, and got into Discus around 2011. I started out with about 5 discus and of course, like many of us fish enthusiasts continued to get more and bigger tanks! Over the more recent years my discus have all come from Rick at CAF, and for good reason!

My approach to the g/o contest may seem somewhat unorthodox, in the sense that the fish are not in a BB tank, but rather I have put them in my 120g show tank, which has gravel, plants (fake) and rock (also fake). I understand this runs some risk due to increased difficulty in keeping it clean, but that is a risk I am willing to take at this time. Of course, if I sense things are not going well, I may need to change my approach. I think it will be interesting to see how it goes using this method opposed to the BB approach.

The g/o group are in the tank with other discus that I recently got from Rick as well. These are: classic leopard, blue snakeskin (which by the way Rick, I think are going to be my fav!), white pigeon, rose red, golden checkerboard, and calico.

Upon introduction to the new tank, understandably the fish were freaked out and huddling in the corner of the tank. These fish come from BB tanks. They just spent the better part of the day traveling (by car, plane and car again) to get to their new home. Then they have been placed in a tank with all this stuff! Talking about sensory overload! I had to trust they would eventually relax and start to begin to investigate their new surroundings. They did! One thing I have learnt in dealing with Discus, well fish keeping, is patience. Interestingly, it seems the little g/o guys were the bravest of the bunch! These little guys are the youngest/smallest discus I have ever had and that is very cool. They are a cute little bunch! In fact my wife said it would be great if they stayed that size! Seems I will have to explain the goal of the g/o contest!

I am running a 25 g sump with K1 media. The tank was well established/cycled in advance. I had some mbunas in there, which I had for quite a long time, and of course have now been removed. I will be feeding a mix of Hikari Bloodworms and of course the CAF Blackworms! My debate is to also throw in some of my beef heart meal, however this does tend to increase tank dirtiness, so likely will not go there. I plan on doing weekly water changes, which has been my usual routine.

I am looking forward to the next months as the g/o group grow and change in colour. I really hope they are digging their new home, as much as I am enjoying looking after them. Good luck to fellow contestants! Cheers, Simon
    IMG_3361.jpg
    IMG_3380.jpg
    IMG_3397.jpg
    IMG_3403.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Snooper

Good luck Simon! Your show tank looks very nice from what I can see. The discus look good in there

Thanks hamburgerhelper. I will get some pics of the full tank soon. Yeah they really seem to be liking the tank now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Tank and fish look great. Excited to see how these guys develop in an established tank like yours. Good luck!

Sent from my S6 using Tapatalk
    Matt Lister

20g Long Planted High Tech Tank

Excellent summary! The discus look like they are off to great start and I'm eager to following your progress growing them up in the show tank. Good luck in the contest!
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

Well like some of the other contestants, I too have had some losses. Two of the grow outs died quite suddenly. Not sure why. The other fish in the tank seem to be doing well. Sucks to lose two of them.
    Here are some recent pics
    IMG_3456.jpg
    IMG_3437.jpg
    IMG_3443.jpg
    IMG_3438.jpg

Forum Snooper

Hope you are able to find out what caused the losses. It definitely sucks to lose two in a short period of time. Best of luck with the remainders. I lost a few the first time I did this contest but still ended up with some beauties at the end so keep your head up!

Forum Snooper

Thats to bad Lebon, I wonder if its your water quality. Have you considered doing more water changes? Do you noticed any tiny bubbles on the sides of the turquoise after your water changes?

No I have not noticed bubbles on the sides of the fish. I would love to do more water changes ... well not really to be honest.... what I would like to do it have an auto drip system... that would be great... but realizing also that with a gravelled tank, it needs to be vacuumed regularly as well. The problem is that I am on wells, not city water, and during the summer water becomes less available. This past summer was the first in many years that we had to start trucking water in. And it started very early in the summer which was odd because we didn't have a real hot dry start to summer, other than perhaps a weeks worth. I am concerned the water table has changed in our area. I sure hope not, or that this is going to be the new norm. The fish have always seemed to do really well on the well water!
    Ocean likes this.

Looks awesome, I'm sure the remaining juvies will do great. Sometimes a little extra competition for food is a good thing to keep them active and hungry. Hate it when fish go belly up without any warning, makes you paranoid about everything. Any chance we could see a full tank shot of your show tank? I'd love to do something like this later on when my little guys get bigger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast