6th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: hamburgerhelper
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

6th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: hamburgerhelper

This is a discussion on 6th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: hamburgerhelper within the CAF Annual Discus Grow-out Contest forums, part of the Canadian Aqua Farm Discus Hatchery category; Firstly, thanks again to Rick for hosting this awesome contest. I had such a blast the last time that I've ...

Forum Snooper

Default6th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: hamburgerhelper

Firstly, thanks again to Rick for hosting this awesome contest. I had such a blast the last time that I've been itching to do this again.

I learned a lot the last time and I'm sure I still have a lot more learning to do.

I was fortunate enough to visit Rick on Saturday to pick up the contest fish and browse through the amazing stock he has right now.

Hopefully I can get remotely close to the pristine condition his tanks are in.

The fish will be housed in my garage with the same tank I used the last time (35 gallon long... I think).

The walls were spray painted blue and white paper put underneath.

I will have one giant sponge filter and an air stone running in there, as well as, a heater set to 30 degrees Celsius.

This time I also decided tape 3 pieces of styrofoam to the back and sides. I hope they will slightly help in case of a power outage.

I will have 2 sets of weaker LEDs running 24/7 so that the fish don't crash into anything.

I plan on doing a 100% water change everyday. This time around I will also attempt to wipe down the walls every time too.

For feeding I have an autofeeder set to feed 4 times throughout the day with tetracolor granules (aka tetrabits).

On top of that I will be feeding a beefheart mix and Rick's FDBW.

Hopefully I can keep up with my maintenance goals and improve from last time's results.

I will be very happy if I have all 6 discus by the end of this contest.

Lastly, Good luck to everyone in the contest!! I really look forward to reading everyone's journals and learning how to be a better fish keeper.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Snooper

Now for some pics. Forgive me for the poor quality cellphone shots.

I will try to get some better shots with a better camera as the contest progresses.

They acclimated very well and hung around the foam filter for the first few minutes.

After that they were exploring the tank and were full of energy.

They pick the tetrabits as they land on the bottom but havent really attacked them while they're floating on top. I figure they just need some time to adjust to the new environment and food.

I hand fed them the black worms and they were all over it LOL. Hopefully they will like the beefheart too (Just made it so haven't had a chance to cut it into cubes yet).

They're very active and have great appetites (They poop a lot too for such small fish)

IMG_20161203_150831.jpgIMG_20161203_150844.jpgIMG_20161203_152644.jpgIMG_20161203_152658.jpg
    mtlister and Dou like this.

Forum Snooper

Goodluck. I'm interested in how they do with your plans.
    hamburgerhelper likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Good luck in the contest. The auto feeder is probably going to come in really handy.
    Matt Lister

20g Long Planted High Tech Tank

Sounds like a good plan. I'm happy to have you back for another year (those that followed Grow Out #3 may recall that hamburgerhelper raised the grand champion!). Can't wait to see how these ones do in your tank. Good luck in the contest!
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

Forum Snooper

Thanks Rick! Good to be back in the routine

Just a quick update. Looks like I hit a bit of a bump in my progress. The steam from my tank appeared to create condensation on my auto feeder and sealed the door shut with the moisture. I cut a piece out of a yogurt container to try and block off the condensation while still allowing the tertrabits to fall into the water. My first attempt failed as the condensation still built up and sealed the door shut.

Attempt #1
    IMG_20161207_212209.jpg

I used the other piece of the yogurt container on my second attempt and had better success.

Attempt #2
    IMG_20161209_201330.jpg

I don't recall having these issues during the last contest but perhaps my garage is colder this time due to the weather.
    I lost a couple days of auto feeding but I don't think it will make too much of a difference. I made up for it with extra feedings this weekend

I like it. Ingenious modification for what can be a common problem with auto feeders.
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

Forum Snooper

Off to a bad start One of my fish died overnight. Came home from work last night and it was dark and lying in the corner. I did an immediate water change and it looked like it was getting better. Started to lighten up and was swimming around the tank. Didn't really follow the group around but was at least swimming around. This morning my wife said she saw one lying at the bottom. Not really sure what happened. The rest of the fish seem fine but I will be monitoring carefully the next few days. I don't think it was a bullying issue as it was one of the biggest if not the biggest one in the tank. Pretty choked about the loss as that one had a lot of potential :'(

Forum Snooper

Sorry to hear that. Part of the hobby

Sorry to hear hopefully you don't lose anymore to the same issue.
    Matt Lister

20g Long Planted High Tech Tank

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast