6th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: hamburgerhelper - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

6th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: hamburgerhelper

This is a discussion on 6th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: hamburgerhelper within the CAF Annual Discus Grow-out Contest forums, part of the Canadian Aqua Farm Discus Hatchery category; How are you preparing the water for water changes? With the extreme cold weather that we are experiencing recently extra ...

How are you preparing the water for water changes? With the extreme cold weather that we are experiencing recently extra precautions against gas bubble disease need to be taken especially when doing 100% water changes. Laying over could indicate a problem with the swim bladder which is one of the organs most likely to be affected by GBD. If the discus are showing any stress immediately after a water change this should be considered the most likely cause.

In the past I've tried feeding beef heart to fry and experienced unexplained losses. Possibly due to bacteria blooms from the raw meat? Something to consider if the problem continues.
    hamburgerhelper likes this.
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Good point Rick. Exactly why I am going to get a container to age my water during these winter months. I am sure once it warms up and fish are older water changes from the tap will not be a problem considering ph swings are not an issue, but until then the less stress on the fish the better.
    Matt Lister

20g Long Planted High Tech Tank

Forum Snooper

I will definitely be watchful for GBD. I didn't notice any odd behaviour during the last water change before it died but perhaps I didn't monitor long enough. I will also be careful with the beefheart too if I see any more problems. I removed the large sponge filter in case there was any bad bacteria on that too. I replaced it with a small one that I thoroughly cleaned. I've been doing water changes everyday so I think it should be ok. I'm pretty sure I used a small one in the previous contest too. The rest of the discus seem to be OK the last few days but I have one that is extremely aggressive. I guess a pecking order is starting in the tank. Probably the most aggressive little discus I've ever seen LOL.
    Canadian_Aqua_Farm likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Snooper

I lost another one on Christmas day. I went out for a quick dinner on Christmas eve and everything in the tank looked fine. The last water change was the night before and there was no feeding within a few hours. All the fish looked fine. When I got home a few hours later, I found one discus swimming somewhat erratically. It only swam to the right. The other fish looked like they were spooked from the erratic swimming. I did a water change but the discus exhibited similar behaviour. The next morning I found that one fish dead but the other fish looked a lot more comfortable. I have been quite careful to to reduce the chance of GBD since the death of the first discus. I even inspected the dead fish to see if I could see any gas bubbles but they were non-existent. I was doing some readings on the subject last night and it said that the gases could get trapped if the water was heated up too rapidly. Perhaps this was the case with the water that I was putting in the tank. I have since put cooler water during water changes and the remaining four look good. They rush to my hand during feeding time and look very comfortable around the tank. Hopefully this will be my final loss.
    Dou likes this.

Sorry to hear about the loss. I too hope it is the last one. It's a good sign that the others are rushing to you at feeding time. Doesn't sound like they are under any stress at this time.
    Dou likes this.
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

Forum Snooper

Are you aging your water? I recommend getting a 33g garbage tub. Aerated and heated for 24 hours. That worked great for me when i was growing my discus out as young fry. Although i did get lazy nearing the end and lost 2 fry because of it... you will pay for not aging your water....

Sorry to hear this... I too have lost two of my grow outs. Same thing, just sudden... erratic swimming and then dead. I will be doing an update shortly.

Forum Snooper

Thank for the tip Thaim. I'll be honest, in all the years of fish keeping I have never aged my water. I have never had catastrophic losses in any of my tanks (knock on wood). I believe the water in the tri-cities are mainly treated by UV sterilizers and chlorine is used when there is bad weather like torrential rainfall that makes the water extra dirty. However, I'm not saying there is no merit to aging water as I have had friends that have had tanks cleaned out because they didn't age or treat their water but they usually lived in other areas. I have had fish affected by chlorine after a water change but have found using baking soda effective in neutralizing the chlorine quickly. I monitor my fish for a while after every water change just to make sure nothing looks off. As for the two fish that died, I think I might have figured out why they were exhibiting odd behavior and dying suddenly within hours of looking very healthy. Two weeks ago I picked up 3 Penang Eruptions from Rick to join what was left of my contest fish. After adding them in, I decided to watch them for a while to make sure they made a good transition. As I watched them I noticed that one of my contest fish started showing similar behavior to the other that died. It would just have random freak outs and dash across the tank. It swam with the other fish normally and had clear eyes with no clamped fins but would occasionally just have that skiddish behavior. It wouldn't attack the food either when I fed the group and would occasionally just float to a corner. I actually sat in my garage for an hour observing that fish to try to figure out what was going on. It looked stressed and upon asking Rick, was considering moving it to my community tank. I knew I had observed the skiddish behavior before in the past in another one of my tanks but I couldn't remember what caused it. Then it hit me. I had lowered the water because I put that yogurt container to block the condensation from my autofeeder. I did this in the past in another tank to medicate I think (Don't 100% remember). Those LEDs I have on top are pretty weak and when the water is a fair distance away, it seems to cast odd shadows from the bubbles and waves from the foam filter. I ended up cutting the yogurt container again so that it was much thinner so i could raise the water a bit and I lowered the lights. I decided to wait a few days and observe before responding back to Rick in case my hypothesis was wrong. Sure enough though, the fish responded well immediately. Odd behavior is completely gone and he's back attacking the food with the rest of the gang. Not sure if the other two fish got spooked from the shadow and died from stress. Their deaths were unexpected and pretty sudden. Hopefully this will solve the problem I was having in my tank. Everything seems pretty consistent now. Here are a few photos I snapped up with my phone a couple weeks ago.

IMG_20170103_201547.jpgIMG_20170103_203247.jpgIMG_20170103_203525.jpgIMG_20170103_203844.jpg

Forum Snooper

Glad to hear you got it under control. I noticed my group of 6 turquoise are skiddish compared to my other group of 18 other discus. Your discus are looking great.

Your fish are looking good! They look much more red than mine. Not sure if that is just the lighting, camera, or what, but never the less, they look good.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast