6th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: hamburgerhelper - Page 3
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

6th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: hamburgerhelper

This is a discussion on 6th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: hamburgerhelper within the CAF Annual Discus Grow-out Contest forums, part of the Canadian Aqua Farm Discus Hatchery category; They do have more of a reddish hue compared to when I first got them. It might be from the ...

Forum Snooper

They do have more of a reddish hue compared to when I first got them. It might be from the paprika I added in my beefheart mix and I'm also feeding the CAF colour enhancing FDB.
    mrbob likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Darn I missed the chance to beat ya this time lol 2nd place last time lol next time will battle again my friend lol good job they look good. Doesn't take much to loose a juvenile discus good luck I'll be watching this one.
    hamburgerhelper likes this.
    I have MTS Please send Help! lol

Forum Snooper

Good to hear you got it under control. I bought a batch of juvies years back from rick and lost every single one of them. Never did figure out the issue. I went under the assumption of GBD. I wasn't aging my water nor was I adding baking soda. The concept of the baking soda deactivating the chlorine is new to me though...

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Snooper

Quote Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
    Darn I missed the chance to beat ya this time lol 2nd place last time lol next time will battle again my friend lol good job they look good. Doesn't take much to loose a juvenile discus good luck I'll be watching this one.
    LOL. Thanks Bob. Honestly, I really liked your contest fish from last time. If I recall yours had those blood red eyes that I just could never seem to get. Care to share your secret?
    mrbob likes this.

Forum Snooper

Quote Originally Posted by Thaim View Post
    Good to hear you got it under control. I bought a batch of juvies years back from rick and lost every single one of them. Never did figure out the issue. I went under the assumption of GBD. I wasn't aging my water nor was I adding baking soda. The concept of the baking soda deactivating the chlorine is new to me though...
    Hmmm... too be honest I don't remember where I got that info from either. Perhaps it wasn't chlorine. I've used baking soda in the past where I thought it was needed and it worked. That being said, it does change the tank parameters as well because its basic. Please disregard my comment about the baking soda completely as I can't verify my source and I don't want to be passing around bad information. My apology to everyone.

Forum Snooper

Well, I have some terrible news. Last night when I got home I started doing my routine water change. All the fish looked great and everything was going as usual. As I was siphoning the water out one of my PE suddenly started freaking out. It was freaking out so bad that it spooked all the fish in my tank and they started freaking out. I had fish darting around, spinning in tight circles, and flying out of the water. I have never seen such a chain reaction before and it had me freaking out. I cut the siphon and watched helplessly. When everything settled I had 4 of my discus lying flat on the ground breathing heavily while the remaining kept very still. I watched them for about and hour and 3 of them eventually popped back up and swam normally. The original PE that was freaking out laid there breathing heavily. It was a very stressful night and an even more stressful morning. When I woke up I went down to check on them to find the PE expired and one of the turqs lying flat and breathing heavily. The other discus looked stressed still. I removed the dead PE and did a water change to prevent an ammonia spike. I don't think the turq will make it but maybe a miracle will occur. Both fish were getting big. The PE was the biggest of the 3 that I had and it was actually catching up to the contest fish. I'm completely confused of why my fish are so sensitive. Can't be GBD because I was siphoning water out and they looked fine up to the point of the PE freaking out. I did go camping on the weekend (Yes, it was cold and my friends are crazy) but my wife fed them regularly with FDB. Despite not having their daily water change I didn't see any change from them the following days after. I'm traumatized, stressed, confused, and was an hour late for work but like Ocean said before, this is part of fish keeping. I will recover and hopefully my fish will too. Hopefully my next post will be on a more positive note
    Ocean likes this.

Sorry to hear about your casualties. How much water are you draining out before filling? I've seen some people drain their tank until there is just enough water for the discus to remain submerged lying flat, but I would imagine it would really stress them out.

My larger koi would sometimes do this in my outdoor tub when I drained the water to do a thorough cleaning. Luckily they settled down once the water filled up, but I have since made it a habit of adding new water while the old water is being siphoned out. Might be worth a try if they don't like the lower water level?

Forum Snooper

Hope things turn around for you hamburgerhelper.

Forum Snooper

Hope things turn around for you hamburgerhelper. Maybe start playing it safe by changing your feeding or water change routine. I heard Rick had some bad experiences with beefheart.. Glad your staying positive.
    Last edited by Ocean; 01-12-2017 at 12:30 PM.

Forum Snooper

MOLOTO - I had actually only taken out about a 1/4 of the tank before the freak out

Ocean - I have actually reduced my beefheart feedings tremendously since the winter holidays ended. The majority of their diet is tetrabits and FDB. I'll try cutting it out completely for now

The thing that bothers me the most is that the onset of these freakouts are so sudden and unpredictable. Just didn't know what to do when the chain reaction started

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast