6th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: Ocean
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

6th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: Ocean

This is a discussion on 6th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: Ocean within the CAF Annual Discus Grow-out Contest forums, part of the Canadian Aqua Farm Discus Hatchery category; Trying again after losing all my discus in the 5th grow out contest, I wanted to try again but this ...

Forum Snooper

Default6th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: Ocean

Trying again after losing all my discus in the 5th grow out contest, I wanted to try again but this time I will not be trying to cut corners and will be trying my best to grow these discus out.

I visited Rick yesterday and picked up 24 discus. 6 turquoise for the contest, 6 Penang eruptions, 6 blue heckle cross and 6 leopards. Im aiming for the strength in numbers strategy.

I am using a lighting diffuser/egg create divider to separate the contestant fish from the other discus until they show signs of distinct differences.

The filteration I am using is hamburg mattenfilter from Swisstropicals. I was really impressed watching this video by pecktec on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3dyXBpmbNQ

Not only do I like the filteration capability but how I can use it as a divider and also for breeding purposes. It also prevents gas bubble disease for my discus because when I fill up the tank using a python hose, I fill it up on the other side of the mat and it absorbs all the micro bubbles.

Going to be doing 50% water change twice a day.

Feeding exclusively new life spectrum grow.

Good luck to everyone in the contest. Hope we all make it to the end

Thank you Rick for the awesome discus and your support.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ocean; 12-23-2016 at 10:41 PM.
    hamburgerhelper and Dou like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Very nice setup and great collection of discus! The mattenfilter is a great technique to achieve multiple goals at once. What size tank? Good luck!
    Matt Lister

20g Long Planted High Tech Tank

Forum Snooper

Thanks, it is a 33g aquarium.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Snooper

Good luck Ocean! That filtration system looks awesome
    Ocean likes this.

Forum Snooper

Awesome set up. Id like to know how this holds up especially with the gas bubbles.

Welcome aboard for another year and good luck in the contest! I look forward to seeing how the mattenfilter works out. Are the fry taking to the NLS?
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

Forum Snooper

Thanks Rick. The majority of them ate NLS on day 2. The discus are going strong.
    Canadian_Aqua_Farm likes this.

That's fantastic!
    Ocean likes this.
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

Big group you have, should be cool to see them grow and change as they get bigger. Hope you have great success!

Forum Snooper

January update:

My fish seem to have not done as well growing this month because I was feeding exclusively new life spectrum. Although I was seeing good coloration, the fish did not seem to grow vigorously as they should. I started to see signs of stunted growth (big eyes). This made me quickly change up my feeding. My fish seem to be a lot smaller than other discus from the same batch like Rick's and the other contestants. From Rick's recent video of his turquoise discus they were already showing amazing colouring!

My discus have been growing steadily now. Lots of changes made to my first routine. Still doing my daily water changes but have increased to 75%.

Changed my feeding to freeze dried black worms 2-3 times a day, 4-5 on weekends. Last feeding is Hikari bloodworms for them to eat during the night. I give a nice big portion. 2 times a week I soak the FDBW with Vitachem freshwater from Boyd Enterprises.

I noticed that I was getting gas bubbles on 2 of my heckle cross discus so I started following Rick's method of using a brass spray nozel to turn the water into a mist when im feeling the tank up during water change. All my discus show no signs of gas bubbles on there fins now. Seems like the heckle cross discus are more sensitive compared to the different types.

Also made a siphon with cpvc pipe to suck up waste connecting it to my python hose. The python hose is connected to a female adapter that I can change between the pipe and spray nozzle.

I am optimistic that they will catch up as long as I maintain my daily water changes and feeding.

DSC00106.jpgDSC00079.jpgDSC00078.jpgDSC00075.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast