Shrimp feeding time!!! Organic Mulberry Leaves! **Picture heavy**
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Mykiss
  • 1 Post By Mykiss

Shrimp feeding time!!! Organic Mulberry Leaves! **Picture heavy**

This is a discussion on Shrimp feeding time!!! Organic Mulberry Leaves! **Picture heavy** within the Canadian Aquatics forums, part of the Sponsors category; So, as many people know we have our own mulberry trees which we grow inside a green house so that ...

Sponsor

DefaultShrimp feeding time!!! Organic Mulberry Leaves! **Picture heavy**

So, as many people know we have our own mulberry trees which we grow inside a green house so that they don't get accidental pesticide/chemical sprays from surrounding areas. For a while now our fresh leaves were not in stock, but as the weather has been warming up, many new large and deep green leaves have been growing. So as it was feeding time yesterday, I thought I'd take a few photos and share.

For those who have shrimps but have never used mulberry leaves, the leaves serves as a great source of nutrition for all types of shrimps. You can feed your shrimps the leaves on their own, or foods with leaves in them such as the GlasGarten shrimp snacks which have mulberry leaf pellets and blends of foods with mulberry leaves.

If you are feeding your shrimps with the fresh leaves I typically add them into boiling water for at least 4 minutes before I wash them with cold water and feed to the shrimps. The boiling helps break down the cell walls of the leaves but I also think it helps 'wash' away the sap from the leaves as well. After cooking it, you don't want to add it in your tank while still hot, so that's why I wash them in cold water first. You can add the leaves whole, or you can cut it up into smaller pieces.

For the dry leaves, you don't have to boil them as I will often just throw them in my tank and usually over night it sinks. Over time it will sink and the shrimps will be able to get at the leaf. However, it doesn't hurt to boil them down if you want to be safe about it.

The good thing about feeding leaves is that even if they don't eat it all in a day, it's ok to leave in your tank for even a week as it doesn't rot or mold like other processed foods do.

OK so I'll post before and after pictures. Keep in mind that the pictures are only 1 day apart...in fact, not even 24 hours.

Before:

Jousters and MDT like this.
    Here fishy fishy.......

CanadianAquatics

Currently breeding and have lots available of:
    -Tiger, red cherry, crystal red and black, golden bee, yellow, and snowball shrimps
    -King Tiger (L-066) and bristlenose plecos
    -Marble crayfish

We also have pure Levamisole HCl for treating the camallanus / callamanus worms and
    we also carry "No Planaria" for getting rid of planaria with out killing your shrimps, fish and plants.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Sponsor

And after.... (less then 24 hours)

Here fishy fishy.......

CanadianAquatics

-Tiger, red cherry, crystal red and black, golden bee, yellow, and snowball shrimps
    -Marble crayfish

We also have pure Levamisole HCl for treating the camallanus / callamanus worms and
    we also carry "No Planaria" for getting rid of planaria with out killing your shrimps, fish and plants.

Sponsor

And after.... (less then 24 hours)

barvinok likes this.
    Here fishy fishy.......

CanadianAquatics

-Marble crayfish

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Novice

Nice shrimp.
    Fresh leaves are their all time favorite food