CRS breeding shrimp tank setup
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

CRS breeding shrimp tank setup

This is a discussion on CRS breeding shrimp tank setup within the Crustaceans/Inverts/Mollusks forums, part of the Freshwater Species category; So the time is nearing that I will be able to move the fish from my 8 gallon bowfront and ...

Forum Snooper

Default CRS breeding shrimp tank setup

So the time is nearing that I will be able to move the fish from my 8 gallon bowfront and set up my CRS shrimp tank in it. To give you some background its got an aquaclear 20, stealth heater, and duel 6W T5HO lighting with crypts, flame moss, petite nana and micro sword. I was hoping I could use this thread for the many questions that will pop up, and the few I have now

I read that to have good sucess breeding CRS that you need a tank 20G or larger, is this true? or will it be fairly easy to breed in an 8 gallon?

What kind of water change schedule would be ideal?

Currently I have black fluorite as a substrate, I also have fluorite black sand, and carib sea crystal river, I was thinking of switching out the fluorite to the fluorite black sand before adding shrimp, or am I better with the aged fluorite that has been in there for 2 years?

What can I use for a sponge for the intake of my aquaclear 20? I was thinking of buying this: Hydro Sponge Filter Max I Prefilter - Pets & Ponds

Any fish at all, perhaps ottos? or will they compete for food?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Bred crs successfully in a 5g on ada soil. No heater and just regular 50% water changes every week.

CRS will breed fine in an 8G. Just keep the water ammonia/nitrate free and at a 6-6.4 pH and you should be set. I'd avoid fish- unless you're heavily planted your fry population will take a hit; otto's might work, but I've no experience with them with shrimps.

Jim

Ottos' are fine with shrimp. Never had any ill effects or delays to breeding as a result of them.

Being a smaller tank I should add that it's easier to have swings, so make sure you have a good buffer, and routinely do water changes. If you go with ADA soil, which I suggest, you'll need to wait out the initial ammonia spike that is bound to ensue.

my friend breeds CRS in a 2 gallon, it's not about the size, it's about the water.

Forum Snooper

thanks for all your replies. As far as substrate goes, is sand preferred over gravel for shrimp? I like the look of black fluorite sand over black fluorite, and wanted to switch it out, but not if its going to be worse for the shrimp.

Being as they are detrius feeders, and I would have no fish to start, would gravel/sand vaccuming still be necessary during a water change? or can you simply change out the water only for maintenance without vaccuming the substrate?

If you like the dark gravel look and want to be on the safe side and make sure they do well go with ADA soil this is the magic soil for crs IMHO.

Learning my lesson the hard way, I agree with MananaP, you'll want ADA soil. Florabase works too, but I'd stick with ADA soil. It'll give you the PH level you want for the to breed proficiently and the buffer for them to live happily and productively.

Forum Snooper

thanks, I will have to look into the ada soil, never seen it before. I already have both fluorites however I would hate to buy more, but if its good for long term health its better to start out the right way, I was planning on buffering with seachem equilibrium and alkaline, what is it about ada soil that the shrimp like?

Pros:
    - The soil is acidic (perfect PH)
    - It's dark in colour so it makes the shrimps' colours pop
    - It buffers the water to a perfect level

Cons:
    - $50 a bag, and can be hard to acquire sometimes.
    - Lasts about a year before needing more to top off
    - Initial ammonia spike may last up to a couple of weeks depending on your filtration unit

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast