Do my snails have parasites?
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Do my snails have parasites?

This is a discussion on Do my snails have parasites? within the Crustaceans/Inverts/Mollusks forums, part of the Freshwater Species category; So recently a few snail eggs in my tank have hatched. Last night I noticed maybe 5-10 baby snail crawling ...

Default Do my snails have parasites?

So recently a few snail eggs in my tank have hatched. Last night I noticed maybe 5-10 baby snail crawling around,
    but this morning I woke up to a bunch of beige-white, thin-string looking things all over the glass.
    It looks kindof like poo, except it's a lighter color, super thin, no more than an inch long, and if I watch close enough they seem to move!
    So my snails have parasites, and if they do, how do I get rid of them?
    If they don't, what are these string things?

006.jpg
    You can see a few white lines just to the right of the thermo.
    Last edited by snailies3; 04-07-2013 at 02:02 PM.
    Nothing special here, just one 10 gallon tank with many Ramshorn, trumpet, pond snails, and their eggs/babies.
    and another 10 gallon tank with about 10 mystery snails.
    I will be selling/giving away snails starting in a few months, as these things love to lay eggs in the right conditions!
    Have unwanted snails? I'll most likely come pick some up from you! Just message me or text 778 994 3313

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

do they look like the ones in this link?worms in my cycling tank (picture added)
    15G Planted low tech with some Cardinals and Cherry Shrimp. And a few Amanos.

Quote Originally Posted by 77_Bus_Girl View Post
    do they look like the ones in this link?worms in my cycling tank (picture added)
    Yeah, they're the same color but they're a lot thinner. Will they harm my snails? How do I get rid of them?
    Nothing special here, just one 10 gallon tank with many Ramshorn, trumpet, pond snails, and their eggs/babies.
    I will be selling/giving away snails starting in a few months, as these things love to lay eggs in the right conditions!
    Have unwanted snails? I'll most likely come pick some up from you! Just message me or text 778 994 3313

pictures would help....do they resemble these, which i believe are smaller than the previous link provided: micro white worms on the glass...planaria?

I was thinking planaria immediately, but the description is pretty vague to pin point what type of worm it is.

Can you tell if it's segmented and flat? If it's not, it wouldn't be planaria.

Quote Originally Posted by effox View Post
    I was thinking planaria immediately, but the description is pretty vague to pin point what type of worm it is.

Can you tell if it's segmented and flat? If it's not, it wouldn't be planaria.
    They're too small to tell. I will go see if I can get a picture right now. They more resemble the video posted up there^

There I have posted a picture

I don't think its planaria (could be just "hatched" though), it could be a type of microworm, can't recall which at the moment (will post a link when I find it).
    Not harmful to the snails, just not pleasant to look at when their number increase.

Updated;
    Found link;Aquarium, Pond Fish Parasites; Trematodes, Flatworms, Nematodes, Detritus, Anchor Worms

Scroll down to "Annelids", it shows the difference between planaria and detritus worms.

Second update;
    Another link explaining in great detail the differences, and that annelids are not harmful (unless population gets out of control); http://www.fish-as-pets.com/2007/11/...t-answers.html
    Last edited by Sploosh; 04-07-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sploosh View Post
    I don't think its planaria (could be just "hatched" though), it could be a type of microworm, can't recall which at the moment (will post a link when I find it).
    Not harmful to the snails, just not pleasant to look at when their number increase.
    What do they do, and is it harmful to humans? Do you know if there's any easy way to get rid of/kill them?
    Thank you!
    Also I did just have a few baby snails hatch yesterday.

They're unsightly pests, but people feel the same way about pond snails.

They're likely detrivores and not harmful, feeding on snail waste. Feeding the snails less, and more frequent gravel vacuuming would help the situation.