Is dechlorinator necessary when filling a tank with a hose?
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Is dechlorinator necessary when filling a tank with a hose?

This is a discussion on Is dechlorinator necessary when filling a tank with a hose? within the Freshwater Chat forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; So I probably change about 30-50 gallons per day and figure I'm probably spending about $10-15/month on dechlorinator for my ...

Forum Resident

Default Is dechlorinator necessary when filling a tank with a hose?

So I probably change about 30-50 gallons per day and figure I'm probably spending about $10-15/month on dechlorinator for my discus and cichlids but I heard from my friend that he doesn't use anything for his goldfish (he just puts tap water into the tank without using a dechlorinator). So I'm wondering if anyone here knows when dechlorinator is needed? I fill my tank using a homemade python siphon dealio and there's quite a lot of aeration from the hose. Does anyone know if the dechlorinator is necessary?
    343 quintillion gallon salt water tank
    90 gallon mbuna
    55 gallon tanganyikan tank
    30 gallon tanganyikan tank

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator SeaHorse_Fanatic's Avatar

Yes. How does filling with a hose make it any different in terms of level of chlorine from using water just from a tap? Does 25-50' of hose really "dechlorinate" your tap water? Do you use Prime? It should be quite cost effective.
    Diztrbd1, The Guy and mrbob like this.

Discus very sensitive to chlorine all fish really! Put enough Prime in for the whole tank then fill! never pass!! there is a cheaper alternative to Prime! called Seachems Safe a powered prime if you will! I just ordered 4 KG container through JL Aquatics!
    having 27 Tanks running need to save money!!

never fill without dechlorinater! Hose will not help you, would have to at least install a carbon filter system to your water main or better yet R/O

There's heavy metals present in our water supply that can't be removed with aeration alone. A good dechlorinator should be able to do double duty.

This should be an interesting thread.

Im in the middle on this topic. I used to use tap water conditioner but not everytime. As a kid I never used it. Sometimes I forget to add it. I dont think Ive lost any fish over it. Mind you I dont have discus. I think it also depends on where you live in B.C. My Dad. Who I concider well educated seems to beleive if you live in Coquitlam than you are very close to your water source therefor the city doesnt need to add as much chlorine to the water because the water doesnt travel down the pipes as far. Thats his opinion and it does make some sense. My dad never uses tap water conditioner on his tank. I dont know if it effects his fish or not. He old so getting him to change his ways isn't an option.

Some days when I turn on my tap at home (Langley). I can smell the chlorine in the water. Some days it smells a lot, others days nothing. I drink tap water all the time and I like to think its not harmfull to me. If I can drink it, I sure hope a fish can live in it. Thats how I look at it. MrBob mentioned using RO water. Using RO water would strip the water off all it's elements so you would have to add those elements back into the water, which would put you back to square 1. Adding water products.

Now I use Seachem buffers so I dont need to condition my water because Seachem claims it has water conditioner additives in the buffer. I still dose prime every once in awhile but I rely on my buffers to declorinate my water.

Someone should setup 2 tanks and perform water changes at the same time. 1 tank gets declorinator. 1 doesnt. Keep basic fish, maybe a school of tetras in both tanks. After 2 months look at the results. If I was alowed another tank this would be a neat experiment and WE would all finally have an answer.

Forum Resident

Quote Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
    Yes. How does filling with a hose make it any different in terms of level of chlorine from using water just from a tap? Does 25-50' of hose really "dechlorinate" your tap water? Do you use Prime? It should be quite cost effective.
    It's not the hose that dechlorinates the water, but supposedly aeration that removes chlorine. I know that if you leave a glass of chlorinated water around for a couple of days the chlorine dissipates, so I was just wondering if anyone knew if the increased aeration through use of a hose affected that more rapidly. I am currently using "Nutrafin Aqua Plus" - 375 mL bottle for $10.00. It says it treats 750 gallons. So if I change on average 35 gallons/day it would last me 21.5 days leading my to buy 17 bottles per year at a cost of $170.00. Of course, the bigger the bottle I get the more savings there are so I'll have to look into other things but I figured I would see if anyone was filling their tanks without dechlorinators (and apparently some people here do =P)
    90 gallon mbuna

Forum God

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    It's not the hose that dechlorinates the water, but supposedly aeration that removes chlorine. I know that if you leave a glass of chlorinated water around for a couple of days the chlorine dissipates, so I was just wondering if anyone knew if the increased aeration through use of a hose affected that more rapidly. I am currently using "Nutrafin Aqua Plus" - 375 mL bottle for $10.00. It says it treats 750 gallons. So if I change on average 35 gallons/day it would last me 21.5 days leading my to buy 17 bottles per year at a cost of $170.00. Of course, the bigger the bottle I get the more savings there are so I'll have to look into other things but I figured I would see if anyone was filling their tanks without dechlorinators (and apparently some people here do =P)
    Look at using some different products. For instance, Prime or Safe. For 35g of water, Prime's dosage is only 3.5ml. For 4L of Prime, its approximately $80 or so. Your Prime cost would only be $0.07 per dose. If you choose to use Safe, it's powder but its even cheaper. 5 grams for every 450 gallons. $30 per kg. Your dosage would be 0.4g if my math is right. That bottle of Safe will last you 2500 days, almost 7 years.
    Pamela and mrbob like this.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    400g L200a/L95/L75/L106/L128
    100g Cube L046 project

Forum Guru

chloramines will not dissipate like chlorine. it is meant to last longer. so letting it sit wont do the trick unless you know for sure the city just adds chlorine. and remember, we are talking fufu prince and princess discus here........lol
    Diztrbd1, mrbob and Vancitycam like this.

Forum Resident

Vancouver doesn't use chloramines
    90 gallon mbuna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast