Do Algae eaters count for Bio Load?!?! And a couple other related questions.
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do Algae eaters count for Bio Load?!?! And a couple other related questions.

This is a discussion on Do Algae eaters count for Bio Load?!?! And a couple other related questions. within the Freshwater Chat forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; OK, hope I don't start a debate here, but I was at a petstore in guildford mall and the guy ...

Arrow Do Algae eaters count for Bio Load?!?! And a couple other related questions.

OK, hope I don't start a debate here, but I was at a petstore in guildford mall and the guy was telling me some stuff that I'm really not sure about.

1st- he said catfish and algae eaters do not count towards the 1 inch per gallon guidline (i realise this isnt a hard a fast rule and has lots of variables, but didn't sound right)

2nd- he suggested I put 2 panda cory's and 1 otto or pleco in my 6 gallon tank along with the 3 guppies I have because I asked if I could add a panda cory to my smallish tank. Can I have 2 with my 3 guppies?

3rd- he said I could put a chinese algae eater in my tank but I heard they can be agressive, is that true?

I'm not ready to add anymore fish right now, so I said I would think about it.

It seems everyone has different ideas on the subject and since I've decided to use you folks as my source of info, could you please advise? Thanks
    33 Gallon, 3 German Rams, 2 SAE, Cardinal
    20 Gallon, (housing the rams right now) Soon to be a cherry shrimp and pygmy cory tank. Lightly planted withJungle Vals, swords, crypts, and Sunset hygro polysperma, hygro corymbosa
    10 Gallon 6 pygmy cories and some left over endler fry.
    6 Gallon Cherry and Amano Shrimp
    3g, possible amano zoe tank.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

1st) agree that doesn't sound right, they are still fish and imo should be included in that factor and are very much part of the bio-load imo

2nd) I don't see why you couldn't put them together, I wouldn't go with a pleco in a 6gal however, maybe just 2 cory's or 2 ottos

3rd) stay away from Chinese algae eaters, they grow quick, suck at eating algae, are somewhat aggressive & when they discover how good the food you feed the rest of the fish is, will become big time competitors at feeding time & very aggressive at feeding time as well from what I have experienced with them.

Bottom feeders and catfish can be some of the messiest fish and put a load on your system for sure. Ask the employee if you were to put a 12" pleco in your aquarium would that count?

Cory cats would be fine in that aquarium, just ensure they get enough food.

Chinese algae eaters can be extremely aggressive in smaller aquariums, Oto catfish would be a much better choice.
    www.islandpets.ca
    Self proclaimed "Buffer crusader!" "Anti cyanide crusader!"

thanks for the advice, i'd really like to get a couple panda cory's for my tank, but first i want to get it planted properly and make sure the water quality stays good.
    20 Gallon, (housing the rams right now) Soon to be a cherry shrimp and pygmy cory tank. Lightly planted withJungle Vals, swords, crypts, and Sunset hygro polysperma, hygro corymbosa

Forum Addicted

Your panda cories will apreciate some plants in there as they use them for cover and to feel safe with.I would try to keep a group with three or more,much more active and they like the company.In your 6 gallon three would ok.Otocinclus are great little work horses,and do keep the house cleaning in check.As already mentioned, make sure the bottom feeders are taken care of food wise.
    PLECOHOLICS ANONYMOUS MEMBER # 24
    WILD TEFE DISCUS KEEPER

Forum Resident

A smaller cory might work too. You maybe able to track down some pygmy corys, or hasbrosus. The pygmys are often labeled as hastatus. I have not been breeding any this year, and don't have any available.
    Plecoholics Anonymous Member #4

A 6 gallon is a great size for a tank, but is actually much more difficult to maintain than a larger tank. Toxins can build up very quickly and even mild overfeeding can be disastrous. Before you add any more fish, let us know how the tank is filtered, how long it's been running, and what your water change regime is.

ok, good to know that he wasn't completely off his rocker. I do like the lil catfish but was only going to add one, but then found out they get nervous on their own.

I have 3 live plants and I'm going to be adding a number of fake plants until I can afford more, this has cost us a lot more then we expected, with all the test kits and water conditioner, cycle etc.

This tank was giving to me by my son, I cleaned it up (too much as I now learned) and now I've had it just over a week with 3 fish and a load of yucky snails. A havent seen a smidge of amonia and I am using a cycle treatment. I have 3 guppies atm and won't be adding anything for quite awhile. Just planning ahead.

Mr Know It all

generally speaking, many consider don't count algae eating shrimp towards their bioload. But if you look at the stock calculator stickied in the freshwater section, it says otherwise :P
    33G Reef || 20G Chain Loach Tank || 9.8G Twin Tanks || 2.5G Nano Tank
    Neven's Planted Addiction
    Neven's 33G Reef!

And there lies the confusion. Some say yes, some say no. I think I should be ok with 3 guppies and 2 cory's in a 6 gallon.

But don't think I should add them for at least a month.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast