How do you make fish grow faster?
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 69

How do you make fish grow faster?

This is a discussion on How do you make fish grow faster? within the Freshwater Chat forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; is there any " magic" formula that you can do to make fish grow faster... or is it simply a ...

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Burnaby-Metrotown
    Posts
    621

    DefaultHow do you make fish grow faster?

    is there any " magic" formula that you can do to make fish grow faster...
    or is it simply a process of keeping the water clean

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Forum Novice
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    476

    Default

    give it grow hormones? lol

  4. #3
    Mr Know It all Rastapus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Coquitlam/Vanuatu
    Posts
    3,138

    Default

    Very frequent water change. Most breeders perform daily water changes to speed up growth. Aquaculture commercially works under the same premise. Pheromones accumulate in our aquariums acting as a growth inhibitor. By diluting these levels through water change fish will grow at a much higher rate.

    Also ensure your aquarium is properly buffered, to ensure there is adequate calcium and other minerals present in the water. Our "sticky" on water quality in BC explains this.
    www.islandpets.ca
    Self proclaimed "Buffer crusader!" "Anti cyanide crusader!"

  5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    beN
    beN is offline
    Mr Know It all beN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    PITT MEADOWS
    Posts
    2,823

    Default

    water changes as per Grant from Island Pets. Apparently Fish release hormones in the water which make them i guess you can say "uncomfortable" so when you do a water change apparently all of those hormones are lost and fish will gain size from having a clean change.

  7. #5
    beN
    beN is offline
    Mr Know It all beN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    PITT MEADOWS
    Posts
    2,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rastapus View Post
    Very frequent water change. Most breeders perform daily water changes to speed up growth. Aquaculture commercially works under the same premise. Pheromones accumulate in our aquariums acting as a growth inhibitor. By diluting these levels through water change fish will grow at a much higher rate.

    Also ensure your aquarium is properly buffered, to ensure there is adequate calcium and other minerals present in the water. Our "sticky" on water quality in BC explains this.

    you beat me to it!! hahaha

  8. #6
    Mr Know It all Rastapus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Coquitlam/Vanuatu
    Posts
    3,138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beN View Post
    water changes as per Grant from Island Pets. Apparently Fish release hormones in the water which make them i guess you can say "uncomfortable" so when you do a water change apparently all of those hormones are lost and fish will gain size from having a clean change.
    Hey Ben, Pheromones are naturally produced by fish as natures defense against outgrowing their environment. These Pheromones are diluted naturally in the wild but in a closed system they accumulate. Yet another reason why water changes are crucial to an aquarium. I cant tell you how many hobbyists don't perform water changes at all.
    Pheromones don't evaporate.........
    www.islandpets.ca
    Self proclaimed "Buffer crusader!" "Anti cyanide crusader!"

  9. #7
    beN
    beN is offline
    Mr Know It all beN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    PITT MEADOWS
    Posts
    2,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rastapus View Post
    Hey Ben, Pheromones are naturally produced by fish as natures defense against outgrowing their environment. These Pheromones are diluted naturally in the wild but in a closed system they accumulate. Yet another reason why water changes are crucial to an aquarium. I cant tell you how many hobbyists don't perform water changes at all.
    Pheromones don't evaporate.........
    thats some cool info !.. there you have it folks..KEEP DOING YOUR WATER CHANGES!!!.. i heard Clown Loaches will grow faster if you do changes 3 times a week. So I assume its with all fish.

  10. #8
    Mr Know It all Mferko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,925

    Default

    yeah the pheromones are produced by the fish which also has receptors for these pheromones, a higher concentration of them will imply a smaller body of water and the fish wont grow as big, a low concentration and the body interprets this as a large body of water and keeps growing
    daily water changes will keep the pheromone concentrations low, simulating a large body of water, = fast growth and large final size.
    but it doesnt stop there either
    enzymes work best within a specific ph as well as temperature, they can start to become denatured outside of the optimal conditions. like most reactions, heat will usually speed up how fast the enzymes are working (heat means the molecules in the solution are moving around faster, therefore they collide and "fit" into the active site on the enzyme more often. you want to have the tank on the warmer side of the fishes optimal temperature range keeping in mind most enzymes are more tolerant to being cold than hot, so dont go too hot!

    long story short, do lots of water changes and keep the temperature near the high end of what the fish like, and keep the PH in the optimal range to keep the enzymes cranking out products as fast as possible.

  11. #9
    Forum Snooper
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    north shore
    Posts
    148

    Default

    umm cant you just bump the heat up as well?

  12. #10
    Mr Know It all Mferko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thharris View Post
    umm cant you just bump the heat up as well?
    someone didnt read my wall of text.

 

 
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Did anyone try to grow your own fish food??
    By champion_qh in forum Freshwater Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-17-2013, 10:45 AM
  2. To make it clear
    By Claudia in forum Aqua Lounge
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 10:18 PM
  3. yellow shrimp grow out rate
    By dwarf_puffer in forum Crustaceans/Inverts/Mollusks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-06-2010, 05:39 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-15-2010, 11:56 PM
  5. Do u want to make a pillow?
    By Claudia in forum Aqua Lounge
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-26-2010, 07:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Vancouver Website Hosting Chilliwack Website Design