DISCUS Emergency - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

DISCUS Emergency

This is a discussion on DISCUS Emergency within the Hospital Section forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; Because they're fry and I want the tank clean I have them on a bare bottom tank...

Because they're fry and I want the tank clean I have them on a bare bottom tank

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Sponsor

DefaultDISCUS Emergency

Some
    Breeders just
    Do wcs and. O filter as you get swings constant especially when they get eating a lot and
    More waste. The swings is what kills them.
    The best ones I ever raised I had constant drip in and out and no filters. And I used aragonite in the Rubbermaid the water dripped in on top.
    That's what I always tell people the breeding is the easy part. The raising is the hard part. Getting good shape and not
    Having die off at 6 weeks .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to ask regarding the equilibrium - it sounds more like a mineral additive than a pH balancer .. should I add it or just do slower water changes .. I'm kinda terrified this happens tomorrow

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Novice

no idea. I had 6 fry die earlier this year after a few weeks....wasn't a PH swing as suggested as my PH was stable. I believe it was in the food I fed them, believe I may have fed tubifex worms.

No idea, really, anything different in the area that the tank is located in?

My water is soft - comes out the tap at around 6.0-6.4 .
    It sits in my Rubbermaid tub for a few hours with the heater and aeration since I have horribly saturated water and reaches about 6.6-6.8 .
    There is generally still 2-3inches in that tub when I'm done the water change that I just leave in there - which could be sitting at the 6.0 so it's lowering any new water I add- but how much of a difference would cause the shock?
    If I add Kh booster - will that shock them?

There are just so many questions - and I'm really attached to these little guys (it's my first go at discus and I thought I'd done enough research)

Forum Novice

the pH from the tap is 6.0 - 6.4 (which is actually non potable by most municipal standards, but not uncommon here...) but in the tank it is holding at 7.4?? You say you only add Prime, so no buffer? I bet your test kit is off, or your probe needs calibration, or something. I would think your tank would go through pH drops, severe ones, even overnight, the effect is slowly building up as your filters age with the high bioload. Do you clean the filters every day?, at the time of the waterchange? I am with the others, add Equilibrium, or some other buffer system of your choice. RO remineralizers also work. Watley says you get much better growth/health with baby discus in alkaline pH, so keep it up there, 7.5 - 8.0 would be my choice. I would consider a malawi salt buffer system for these guys. It gets expensive with frequent water changes tho!. Brent

Sponsor

Yes definitely better
    Growth with minerals as our water is mineral poor. I was told by my discus friend and fantastic breeder long ago to start buffering and getting the hardness up once free swimming gradually for better growth . Equilibrium is by seachem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abbotsford is not on GVRD water. Where Cstar is, the water could already be medium hard. It should not likely need any hardness buffering. My well water pH comes out of the tap in the low 6's but increases into mid to high 7's as the CO2 gasses off. Hardness here measure +/- 140 ppm out of the tap.
    Cstar. . Have your water tested for hardness. pH is a measure of the acid/ alkalinity of the water, not the hardness.
    Last edited by davefrombc; 11-11-2016 at 08:51 AM.

Sorry i realized I had a typo in the first post and changed it . It should have said pH is steady at 6.6
    Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all. Aristotle

Thank you all for the good advice - i will take a sample of my tap water to my local store to get a full spectrum test done so I know what everything is sitting at.
    rhennessey likes this.
    Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all. Aristotle

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast