DISCUS Emergency - Page 3
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

DISCUS Emergency

This is a discussion on DISCUS Emergency within the Hospital Section forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; Did you wash your hands and forarms before clean your tank. I once killed entire tank of wild discus and ...

Did you wash your hands and forarms before clean your tank. I once killed entire tank of wild discus and angels when I didn't wash my hands properly after servicing my lawn mower.
    400 gallon guppy tank coming soon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Sponsor

If the store is using test strips they aren't very accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So had the store check my water
    Tap is 7.6pH
    The Discus Tank 6.8PH
    KH - 0

To use the Equilibrium to bring the tank water up to Medium Hardness said it would be 100tspns/1600g (which would get expensive quick) so i bought some pH down - that ended in a whoops . I added half a dose than recommended and the pH bottomed to 6.0 (AAAAHHHH!!!!) so I added baking soda to try bring it back up and I got 7.4 (tears of frustration at this point) so I spent close to 4 hours slowly dripping the water in to slowly acclimate them to the new pH.
    Some troubles i think I may have caused myself - the filter was a crappy petsmart one that I think just accumulated the debris and leeched it back into the tank. Scrapped that - bought a sponge filter like they were being bred with. Have become extremely pedantic about small feedings and siphoning everything.

Question - if Discus in a 20gallon tank need 90% daily changes - would the same discus in an 80gallon get by with just 10% daily changes ? With a sponge filter and Fluval canister running.
    Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all. Aristotle

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Just had a discus freak out - dart like crazy around the tank - right into a wall and dead ... my day just can't improve

Sounds like a ph swing. Discus darting around and banging and into the glass. Discus like consistent ph. I have a tank at 7.2 and one tank at 6.5. If you keep it consistent your discus should be good. Using ph down then baking soda right after that is brutal for discus. I find smaller frequent water changes work better for my discus. I do 1/3 of the water every day rather than 50% every other day. When you find some system that works for you stick to it. Discus like consistency in water chemistry. I also find when your discus don't look so good just increase water changes. Not the amount but how often. Maybe twice a day. Just don't throw in meds or baking soda they'll throw off the ph.
    Dou likes this.

The ph down and baking Soda went into my aging barrel - but yes agreed stability is key.
    My water is so soft though

Forum Novice

Rick has a number of good sticky articles on raising discus fry (like the gas bubble issue, and others), I don't know where they are, but I am sure they could be found with minimal looking, maybe in his forum section. Good luck. Brent
    Last edited by mollyb; 11-12-2016 at 07:40 AM.

Sponsor

Put them in a big tank and cordon them off in a small space somehow so they get the benefit of stable water and feel secure in a tight group. I'd ditch the canister, hang o filter and just do the sponge . Go
    Buy some aragonite and add some to the tank and your wc barrel. Anymore shock and they will get behind on growth and shape .

90% daily water changes seem excessive to me. Is this needed? Does the water quality get that bad in such a short time? Typically the fish do get stressed every time you do a water change, so perhaps doing less is better? ie: less stress, less possible water differences ie: ph, etc. just my opinion.

Sponsor

For good growth and shape yes. And 4 feedings at least a day they do create a lot of biolaod.
    The 20 gallon is too small now. Water is t staying stable . Too many swings .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast