Experiences with Callamanus worms and Solutions - Page 3
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Experiences with Callamanus worms and Solutions

This is a discussion on Experiences with Callamanus worms and Solutions within the Hospital Section forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; PM sent......

Sponsor

PM sent...
    Here fishy fishy.......

CanadianAquatics

Currently breeding and have lots available of:
    -Tiger, red cherry, crystal red and black, golden bee, yellow, and snowball shrimps
    -King Tiger (L-066) and bristlenose plecos
    -Marble crayfish

We also have pure Levamisole HCl for treating the camallanus / callamanus worms and
    we also carry "No Planaria" for getting rid of planaria with out killing your shrimps, fish and plants.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Newbie

DefaultAlso looking for meds

Hi - I'm also on the hunt for meds for callanus worms. Could you please PM me. Thanks so much.

Sponsor

Sorry for the late reply. PM sent
    Here fishy fishy.......

CanadianAquatics

-Tiger, red cherry, crystal red and black, golden bee, yellow, and snowball shrimps
    -Marble crayfish

We also have pure Levamisole HCl for treating the camallanus / callamanus worms and
    we also carry "No Planaria" for getting rid of planaria with out killing your shrimps, fish and plants.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Hey, Pat, Chuck, Dave and the rest of the bcaquaria gang. I'm getting some self appointed expert on another thread saying that Camallanus worms can survive on an intermediate host like snails, etc. etc. I think he's full of it but can't seem to find any scientific sources. Can anyone on this "real" fish site do an update? FYI I have just planted nano at the time but it looks like two guppies brought something in, so I'm going to let the tank stand for a couple months with just invertebrates. A few pond snails show up occasionally and I have two Amano shrimp in one tank. Thanks, guys, and hello from the bush!
    Last edited by BigFatLyre; 01-29-2015 at 05:11 AM. Reason: spelling

Sponsor

Hi, thanks for bringing this up. Unfortunately in the aquarium trade the actual name of this parasite is camallanus worms and to be precise it's a nematode (round worm). It's often called the callamanus worm in the aquarium trade but it was likely an attempt to spell camallanus. Unfortunately I used the name which most aquarists go by but the actual name is camallanus.

There are several species of camallanus nematodes and like many parasites they will have multiple hosts. There are lots of literature which indicates that some species will require an intermediate host such as a copepod, while other species of camallanus can reproduce without the copepod. I was looking up references for snails being an intermediate hosts but I wasn't able to find any scientific literature on it but there are a few people who have 'experienced' their snails passing along the parasite but no controlled experiment was conducted. I'm sorry but I wasn't able to find 'hard evidence' that states that snails can be a host for this parasite, BUT any copepods which may have piggy backed a ride in the bag of fish or snail can be.
    Here fishy fishy.......

CanadianAquatics

-Marble crayfish

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123