Pleco covered in ick - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Pleco covered in ick

This is a discussion on Pleco covered in ick within the Hospital Section forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; Sorry to hear that, but yeah he looked pretty far gone I haven't heard anything about feeding regarding treating ich, ...

Forum Snooper

Sorry to hear that, but yeah he looked pretty far gone
    I haven't heard anything about feeding regarding treating ich, but like rhennessey said, heat speeds up the metabolism so it'd make sense for them to need more food. You'd probably just need to keep on top of the water changes, which is beneficial to a sick fish anyways.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Thank you. I thought the same about feeding as well. The ottos are sooo skinny. I told her to add some zucchini and blanched spinach for them. I hope that was ok. I told her to remove after a couple of hours. She did take the fish back today and got angry with them. They refunded her money but barely offered an apology. Hopefully lessons have been learned. I definitely learned more about ick. I had no clue they had life cycle. Kinda disgusting actually. Makes a girl wonder if it they can get in your skin 😨

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Forum Snooper

I haven't kept otos, mostly because their sensitivity scares me. Most are wild caught and generally don't accept commercial food. Hopefully the otos accept the zucchini and/or spinach, but if not, she may need to grow some algae. I think this blog is a good read on otos and here's an excerpt on growing algae:
    http://www.myaquariumclub.com/before...this-8507.html

"I do a couple of things to try to make sure my Otos eat as well as possible. One trick I use is keeping a lot of small rocks in large jars of water, which I leave under the strongest possible lighting for a minimum of 16 hours a day and preferably 24/7. Direct sunlight works too, if you live in warm enough place. I feed the jars with some fertilizer which is made to grow algae specifically but any fertilizer used to grow plants in a fish tank would likely do as well. The water in the jars comes from tank water changes and is also used to top them up.

I have found that marble chips and ceramic filter media seem to grow the most algae in the least amount of time. Some other rocks work too, so long as they are not polished. If a rock isn’t turning green, just take it out. I drop a few green rocks in the tank at each end, then return them to the jars when they’re clean. My Malaysian Trumpet and Rabbit snails appear to adore the rock algae too and will swarm a new rock in minutes. I have to make sure there are enough rocks so the Otos get their share."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12