Returning to maintaining an Aquarium... Looking for tips, tricks, advice and plants
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Returning to maintaining an Aquarium... Looking for tips, tricks, advice and plants

This is a discussion on Returning to maintaining an Aquarium... Looking for tips, tricks, advice and plants within the Introduction Area forums, part of the BCA Main Navigation category; Hi everybody, InnerTubeMan. About 11 years ago I had a thriving 20g tank, fully planted, natural bog wood, slightly black ...

DefaultReturning to maintaining an Aquarium... Looking for tips, tricks, advice and plants

Hi everybody,
    InnerTubeMan. About 11 years ago I had a thriving 20g tank, fully planted, natural bog wood, slightly black water. I was making my own filter bags with peat, charcoal, a bit of oyster shell sprinkled in there too. My dwarf gouramies (a breeding pair) and school of harlequin rasboras were happy as can be. We had a kid, moved to a different place, life got busy, and all the fish got sick and died.
    Now we have 3 kids and a 40g tank, and am about to embark on a similar journey. However, I see that lighting options have changed (not sure which brand of readily available LED hoods to choose for a soon to be planted tank) and the price of plants has gotten way out of control. Or maybe I just remember have a multitude on hand from my overgrown tank and having to through them out every few months.
    If any users on here are in the Maple Ridge area and find themselves having to compost bucket loads of plants every few months, let me know. I could use a few to help get my setup inhabitable.

I'm going to pet smart tomorrow morning for the black friday sale to get a new heater, and to check out LED hood options.

When I get this tank set up, I will probably populate it with a dozen Zebra Danios (due to their $1 each pricetag) until I can get a good amount of plants to allow Gouramies to be happy.

Anybody know where to buy bog wood locally?
    What about water test kits? Are the test strips worth it? or should I start off with the middle of the road kit that does 8 different tests?

If you read this far, Thank-you. I look forward to maybe getting know some of you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like you pretty much know what you are doing.
    Lighting is the thing that has probably changed the most since you were last keeping fish.
    LED's are the way to go now.
    Check out J&L Aquatics for best price locally.
    InnerTubeMan likes this.
    220 Gallon Turtle and South American Cichlid Tank.
    210 Gallon Turtle and African Cichlid Tank.
    65 Gallon South American Cichlid Tank.
    11 Gallon Dart frog Vivarium.
    40 Gallon Whites Tree frog Vivarium.

Yeah it's changed for sure. Usually you gotta drop hundreds of dollars on lighting if you hope to achieve anything with LED, I like t5ho better in that regard. With our dollar as low as it is, it's a waste of time and money going with cheaper brands and having to pay the shipping and duties. Danios are a good choice. So are white clouds. Pet Lovers in Abby is a good store somewhat close by you.
    Geoffrey likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Snooper

In regards to lighting it depends on what you want (low/high tech). LEDs can be comparable to T5's, but the initial start up costs is much higher (if you're looking for the good quality brands). Some still prefer T5's over LEDs due to growth or colour rendition. If you get LEDs, don't go for the LED hoods, they're not good for growing plants (not all LEDs are created equal).

Keep an eye on the Plant Classified here on the forum. You'll find deals here and there.

Test strips are known to be inaccurate. Go for a liquid test kit instead. The API Master Test kit is the cheapest one and good enough.

Trout, it seems white clouds are restricted now.
    http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/fresh...minnow-187722/
    InnerTubeMan likes this.

I have done it, but it's been a long time. I picked up some plants from Petland's Black Friday sale. Give me a year and I'll hopefully have something to barter trades with.

Geoffrey, I did pick up that API test kit. the one that has the 5 different tests in it. PH, PH High, Nitrite, nitrate etc. thanks for affirming my decision.

I will have to look into the price difference for T5 HO's. There's gotta be some good info in the DIY section here to eh.

Thanks everybody.

Hey if you are capable, there's great options for Led DIY lighting. YouTube has lots of info and step by step.

Welcome to BCA

We specialize in rare and exotic fish from around the world.
    Come see us at www.canadianaquatics.com

After a month of being setup, I noticed my corydoras doing a strange dance and watched them place eggs on my filter tube. Things must be going good in this little aquarium. The zebra danios sure do want to eat them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Geoffrey likes this.

Forum Snooper

Yes, the API kit is better for accuracy than the strips. Also, L.E.D. lights have their limitations as far as benefiting live plants is concerned. I still use fluorescent lighting. Plants do just fine (and I do not use any fertilizers).

Note: I have placed each bundle of plants in its own plastic container (i.e. small bead jars from the dollar store with a hole cut in the lids). I use sand for the bottom of the tank and put the same sand inside each container in which the plants root. The containers are buried in the sand wherever I wish to put them . . . and I am free to move these around from time to time without disturbing the root system (e.g. change of scenery, routine maintenance, etc.). When plants grow too tall, I trim and start a new plant with the clippings. (Of course, one has to pick plants that are grown in this fashion.)

Works for me.

Forum Snooper

I am impressed that the Corys breed. I have one male and one female. They are inseparable . . . but no babies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast