Returning to maintaining an Aquarium... Looking for tips, tricks, advice and plants - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Returning to maintaining an Aquarium... Looking for tips, tricks, advice and plants

This is a discussion on Returning to maintaining an Aquarium... Looking for tips, tricks, advice and plants within the Introduction Area forums, part of the BCA Main Navigation category; " . . . Danios are a good choice. So are white clouds . . . " ----------------------------------------------------------------- Zebra Danios ...

Forum Beginner

" . . . Danios are a good choice. So are white clouds . . . "

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Zebra Danios can be quite aggressive in small numbers. I had a trio that tormented everyone else in the tank . . . so they had to go. Kept in LARGER numbers - a dozen or more? - Danios, I am told, learn to play nicely with others.

I think I read an article somewhere a couple of months ago that it is now illegal to breed/sell WHITE CLOUDS in BC. Was that my imagination or is there something to this? Anyone know more?
    Last edited by Mick2016; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:30 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by InnerTubeMan View Post
    Hi everybody,
    InnerTubeMan. About 11 years ago I had a thriving 20g tank, fully planted, natural bog wood, slightly black water. I was making my own filter bags with peat, charcoal, a bit of oyster shell sprinkled in there too. My dwarf gouramies (a breeding pair) and school of harlequin rasboras were happy as can be. We had a kid, moved to a different place, life got busy, and all the fish got sick and died.
    Now we have 3 kids and a 40g tank, and am about to embark on a similar journey. However, I see that lighting options have changed (not sure which brand of readily available LED hoods to choose for a soon to be planted tank) and the price of plants has gotten way out of control. Or maybe I just remember have a multitude on hand from my overgrown tank and having to through them out every few months.
    If any users on here are in the Maple Ridge area and find themselves having to compost bucket loads of plants every few months, let me know. I could use a few to help get my setup inhabitable.

I'm going to pet smart tomorrow morning for the black friday sale to get a new heater, and to check out LED hood options.

When I get this tank set up, I will probably populate it with a dozen Zebra Danios (due to their $1 each pricetag) until I can get a good amount of plants to allow Gouramies to be happy.

Anybody know where to buy bog wood locally?
    What about water test kits? Are the test strips worth it? or should I start off with the middle of the road kit that does 8 different tests?

If you read this far, Thank-you. I look forward to maybe getting know some of you.
    I think able to get quality fish is one of the most important factors. Another important factor is know/learn the right environment for your fish.
    Last edited by waynec; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick2016 View Post
    " . . . Danios are a good choice. So are white clouds . . . "

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Zebra Danios can be quite aggressive in small numbers. I had a trio that tormented everyone else in the tank . . . so they had to go. Kept in LARGER numbers - a dozen or more? - Danios, I am told, learn to play nicely with others.

I think I read an article somewhere a couple of months ago that it is now illegal to breed/sell WHITE CLOUDS in BC. Was that my imagination or is there something to this? Anyone know more?
    The zebra danios are quick quick, they play extremely roughly with each other but leave the corys alone. Even when it's feeding time and they are all goin at the same food, they don't bump or push them around. But to one another? Watch out.
    I want to get a dwarf gourami, but I am hesitant to until my tall plants fill in more. Plus, I'm nut sure how the mob will react to sharing the mid and top water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12