Yet another cycling question from a newb
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Yet another cycling question from a newb

This is a discussion on Yet another cycling question from a newb within the Marine Chat forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; This is my first ever tank. Water parameters after day four Ammonia <.15 Nitrite .1 Nitrate 5 ppm Used cured ...

Forum Newbie

DefaultYet another cycling question from a newb

This is my first ever tank.

Water parameters after day four

Ammonia <.15
    Nitrite .1
    Nitrate 5 ppm

Used cured live rock and carib sea sand

So are these normal? When do i start seeing ammonia spike? How come there is nitrate i thought those come after nitrite spike or is 5 ppm normal? Should i add a fish yet? Its a 10 gal tank.

Temp 77
    Salinity 1.026
    Lights on 5 hrs a day 75 blue 25 white
    Koralia 240 gph
    Stock return
    Also using tap with aqueon water conditioner for top off (should i go rodi or not?)

Input needed on how i should proceed thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Newbie

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Pic of aquascape taken day 2
    Dou likes this.

Luv your user name....

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Forum Addicted

so you will have a lot to learn in your journey of salt water and I encourage you to study as much as possible before really doing anything so you don't waste your time and money. but ill try and help and I think some on this site are much more knowledgeable than me. do not add any fish its to early in my opinion and you wont want any nitrite or ammonia in your tank. I always use a bottled bacteria when cycling my tanks and its always worked for me. I do find it odd you have nitrates though, Im guessing the rock had debris and that sort of thing in it. what are your plans? fish only just use tap water I use rodi for my reef though and I like it as I find it helps a lot with algae and phosphates
    230 motor stingray tank. led lighting, dual sump sump,and drip system
    85 gal reef tank 50 gallon custom sump(refugium),100lbs rock,dual overflow,,triple pharoah led,custom stand
    5 gallon nano reef tank

Forum Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    so you will have a lot to learn in your journey of salt water and I encourage you to study as much as possible before really doing anything so you don't waste your time and money. but ill try and help and I think some on this site are much more knowledgeable than me. do not add any fish its to early in my opinion and you wont want any nitrite or ammonia in your tank. I always use a bottled bacteria when cycling my tanks and its always worked for me. I do find it odd you have nitrates though, Im guessing the rock had debris and that sort of thing in it. what are your plans? fish only just use tap water I use rodi for my reef though and I like it as I find it helps a lot with algae and phosphates

Ok so no fishy yet. So should i keep the lights on? My nitrate did go down from 10 ppm to 5ppm. Would leaving the lights of kill the bacteria thats eating my nitrates i read last night im suppose to leave lights of while cycling? Plan is for a zoa and paly tank with a couple of fishy maybe some lps later on. Also is distilled water better than using tap? or should i just get a rodi system? Do you know any lfs that sell rodi water? Thanks for the help dino. Also should i start checking for the rest of my water para? I only checked alk and it was at 9.
    Last edited by JaxOphalot; 11-24-2016 at 12:41 PM.

Forum Addicted

So it's up to you on keeping the lights on but you don't really need them when cycling. Most grocery stores sell ro water and some lfs sell rodi but in Burnaby I bet you gave low tds so to be honest you don't need rodi for what your doing . But down the road you might want to. Your tank has no load or coral do you won't need to do anything with alk and calcium really so eventually just test as you add corals and even then softies don't use much . I test my salt though and try to keep things stable and consistent.
    230 motor stingray tank. led lighting, dual sump sump,and drip system
    85 gal reef tank 50 gallon custom sump(refugium),100lbs rock,dual overflow,,triple pharoah led,custom stand
    5 gallon nano reef tank

Forum Newbie

Couldnt wait i went and bought a fishy a few hours ago. Dunked him in the tank and he went straight for that spot and hes been there since. kinda annoying i tried poking him but he goes right back is he mental or something?

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Hope you didn't just dump him in the tank with out acclimation to the new water and parameters. This is very important, if he/she was just dumped in it probably went into shock . Like dino mentioned you shouldn't put fish in until your tank parameters are steady and smooth. When doing a salt water tank it requires lots of patience.
    and will bring you a great salt water tank. Good luck.
    PLecoholics Anonymous Club member #16 , 2 Fluval Spec V tank's set up right now
    ​Just aquired a hard to find Fluval Osaka 155 cube tank

Forum Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by The Guy View Post
    Hope you didn't just dump him in the tank with out acclimation to the new water and parameters. This is very important, if he/she was just dumped in it probably went into shock . Like dino mentioned you shouldn't put fish in until your tank parameters are steady and smooth. When doing a salt water tank it requires lots of patience.
    and will bring you a great salt water tank. Good luck.
    Ya i did just dunk him in there. I dont think he liked it much hes still swimming erratically in that one corner. Is he gonna die? i tried feeding him because I figured he must be tired and hungry from just swimming there but he wont eat ...if he did die do i leave him in there to kickstart my cycle? My ammonia never went above .15 from day 1 and went to 0 after day 5. My nitrate was at 10 day 1 and now its at 2.5. Its day 10 now and im kind of getting impatient waiting for my ammonia to go up. I read that i could add some of my pissin there but ya i didnt feel like doing that lol and then i read that i could add a fishy and wait for it to poop and pee out some ammonia but maybe if he did die that would be faster? I was gonna buy the black one that was 120 bucks i really liked it good thing i didnt do that this guy was only 20 bucks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast