Mini-Monsters?
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mini-Monsters?

This is a discussion on Mini-Monsters? within the Monster FISH!! forums, part of the Freshwater Species category; Hi all, after a long hiatus from the hobby due to moving around and such, I am finally settling down ...

Forum Snooper

DefaultMini-Monsters?

Hi all, after a long hiatus from the hobby due to moving around and such, I am finally settling down again and starting to think about and plan my next project. I've kept shrimp, apistos, and other smaller types of fish (less than 4"). But recently I've been watching a lot of DIY King's vids on Youtube and his arowana has me thinking about going an entirely different route, and going for one or a pair of larger fish. I know arowana's get big, like upwards of 4ft, and i am not looking for something that big, but something substantial. Unfortunately I'm not as learned in available fish species as others here, so I'm hoping for some help and suggestions to start my research for the following:

1) suggestion for a fish or a pair of fish that would get upwards of 12 to 16" full grown
    2) initial tank size consideration is 100 to 150gallons (would this be big enough for the size of fish suggested?) I would have room for approximately 6'x2' tank.
    3) freshwater
    4) locally available, preferably without breaking the bank. IE. a fish that doesnt cost 1000$.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks.
    mini-monster on its way....just dont know what yet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Snooper

I think a couple bichirs sound like the perfect fish for you.

That or tire track/fire/peacock eels could be cool

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Forum Snooper

There are certain African cichlid species that can reach that size. Although you may have to order them in, or have an LFS order them some of them in for you.

Watching DIY King's videos, you're probably aware of uaru already.

I've seen Bay Snook (typically the red variety) available locally. They look great, and they'll reach the size you're looking for. Apparently they are predatory, they might not be exactly what you're looking for.

Growing out arowana is always an option as well. There's a certain LFS with a large display tank that would likely readily take in a large arowana.

Another option would be channa. Although they are currently considered an invasive species. They are predatory, but the majority of the species available locally are of the smaller (and arguably non-invasive) variety. That being said, they are one of the most visually stunning and entertaining to watch options.

Oscars would be an option, albeit not a very exotic option.

I've seen some spotted gar available locally as well.

A fire eel would be an interesting option.

I'll let someone who knows a thing or two more than I do about freshwater rays say whether or not that would be an appropriate tank size, but I know certain species are also available locally.

If you find something that you're interested in and can't seem to find, there's a very good chance one of the LFS can order it in for you, or you may be able to order it yourself from Spencer Jack. That's all I can really think of, at least off of the top of my head. Hopefully something in all of that helps!

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

It really depends on what you like. Monster fish keepers are slowly moving back to huge community tank rather it is mini fish or medium size fish; but nevertheless, community tank. It is just more relaxing, can keep a lot of fish, and more nature like.

You can keep medium size fish like bichirs and eel with geo and perhaps a cheaper jardini arawana. Or you can keep hundreds of school fish and watch the schooling effect and have a natural biotope in your living space.

We specialize in rare and exotic fish from around the world.
    Come see us at www.canadianaquatics.com

Forum Snooper

Quote Originally Posted by indefine View Post
    Hi all, after a long hiatus from the hobby due to moving around and such, I am finally settling down again and starting to think about and plan my next project. I've kept shrimp, apistos, and other smaller types of fish (less than 4"). But recently I've been watching a lot of DIY King's vids on Youtube and his arowana has me thinking about going an entirely different route, and going for one or a pair of larger fish. I know arowana's get big, like upwards of 4ft, and i am not looking for something that big, but something substantial. Unfortunately I'm not as learned in available fish species as others here, so I'm hoping for some help and suggestions to start my research for the following:

1) suggestion for a fish or a pair of fish that would get upwards of 12 to 16" full grown
    2) initial tank size consideration is 100 to 150gallons (would this be big enough for the size of fish suggested?) I would have room for approximately 6'x2' tank.
    3) freshwater
    4) locally available, preferably without breaking the bank. IE. a fish that doesnt cost 1000$.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks.
    I would say go with a 6' x 2' if you want "mini monsters"

Stocking option, jardini arowana for a bit but it would need 30"+ width for life. Silver arowana would also be able to work for a short time, but they will outgrow the tank

Like others said, bichirs, fire eels (might outgrow tank) datnoids

Now onto rays, you could do "teacup" rays but they are very hard to get to eat, and are very sensitive. Motoros could work for some time but would outgrow tank.. Hystrix rays stay fairly small, but with 2' width you're pretty limited.

Clown knifes could work, although I've seen some over 2' long

Catfish- for this size tank you could do a Lima Shovelnose

"Sharks" couple id sharks could be there for some time also, they "can get 2'" but most times they are sold as runts so they stay smaller

Couple of Gulper catfish would work, but those would be the only fish you could keep as they will eat other fish.

I've seen a fahaka puffer in a 7' x 2', you could keep one, but tank mates aren't recommend with the. Although puffers are like water puppies.

That's all I can think of right now

Forum Addicted

Teacup ray is not a species it's just a b.s. Name sellers gave small rays. Make no mistake they get big
    230 motor stingray tank. led lighting, dual sump sump,and drip system
    85 gal reef tank 50 gallon custom sump(refugium),100lbs rock,dual overflow,,triple pharoah led,custom stand
    5 gallon nano reef tank

Forum Snooper

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    Teacup ray is not a species it's just a b.s. Name sellers gave small rays. Make no mistake they get big
    That is why I put it in quotation

They can either be P. Reticulata, orb rays, brown Peru rays

teacup is just cause they can't identify the Ray at the time

Forum Snooper

Thanks for the responses, some very good suggestions and points in here.

Ideally, there would be an arowana-like fish that stunted growth at about 1 ft. unfortunately, this doesn't exist. I'm not a big fan of bichirs or eels and rays are or other bottom dwellers are not really my thing. predatory is fine, but i think i am looking more for a swimmer and something that'd be confident/majestic in the tank as more of a display swimmer and inhabit the mid to upper regions of the tank often.

a school of a hundred small schooling fish could be cool too, but i've had a school of 30 ember tetras in the past. Now that I get a chance to start fresh, I really am thinking of trying something different. looks like i have some further researching to do, but luckily i'm not looking to set anything up until late spring/early summer.

thanks again for the responses, and of course any further suggestions appreciated.
    mini-monster on its way....just dont know what yet.

I'd look into dwarf snake head species, bowfin, peacock bass and Cuban gars.

Forum Snooper

Quote Originally Posted by stratos View Post
    I'd look into dwarf snake head species, bowfin, peacock bass and Cuban gars.
    Gachua/limbata, stewartii, and aurantimaculata are what you're most likely to find locally, as far as snakeheads go.

A large school of clown loaches could be an interesting option as well. Especially if you get a group with a big variation in sizes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast