Lake Victoria Breeding : Haplochromis thereuterion
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By VElderton
  • 1 Post By VElderton

Lake Victoria Breeding : Haplochromis thereuterion

This is a discussion on Lake Victoria Breeding : Haplochromis thereuterion within the Old World Cichlids forums, part of the Freshwater Species category; As the subject line states I have had a successful spawning of this Victorian sp. I was able to acquire ...

DefaultLake Victoria Breeding : Haplochromis thereuterion

As the subject line states I have had a successful spawning of this Victorian sp.

I was able to acquire a small group, five - 2 males + 3 females, of these small, peaceful cichlids. When I purchased them from the original owner both of us thought that maybe one of the females was holding. After a few days in my tank I was convinced that one of the females was holding eggs. So, the question was should I strip the eggs and tumble them or let the female incubate them? Given the small size of these fish and rather delicate bodies I decided to let the female incubate her eggs. Today the female expelled her fry ... about 15!

Today they were fed ground cichlid pellets and flakes and decapsulated brine shrimp, tomorrow I wil start feeding live brine shrimp. I hope they get through this first week ... that should indicate some success.
    Last edited by VElderton; 1 Week Ago at 02:24 PM.
    Sargasso, Smiladon and Mark Brown like this.
    Small fish room, 19 tanks - various sizes.

Fish Room Album

I keep most of my breeding groups in biotope tanks. I remove pairs or breeding groups to special tanks to spawn and raise fry. Cichlids are what I breed mostly but have an interest in catfish - corys & dwarf plecos.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Day 2 update : approx. 12 surviving fry, some live brine shrimp feeding.

I have done a bit of research on this species ... nice little article from Cichlid Forum - Haplochromis thereuterion , interesting that at one time they were thought to be extinct.
    Jousters likes this.

Fish Room Album

I keep most of my breeding groups in biotope tanks. I remove pairs or breeding groups to special tanks to spawn and raise fry. Cichlids are what I breed mostly but have an interest in catfish - corys & dwarf plecos.

Be nice to grow a few of these out Victor, and spread them around. Attractive fish. Keep that brine shrimp coming!

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

I can hardly keep up with the species of fish you keep mate. Seems like something is always populating. Good work!

Thanks for the comments besides the payoff from the fish each day and a successful spawning it is encouraging to know others have an interest.

Regarding this species a hobbyist called me to offer them and they were too interesting to pass up.

Yes if I have fry that survive I definitely will make them available to others. My plan is to provide updates every few weeks at significant points of development ... I have no sense how fast they might grow.
    Last edited by VElderton; 1 Week Ago at 01:42 AM.

The Haplochromis thereuterion fry have done well on the newly hatched brine shrimp. Of the 13 - 14 expelled fry, 11 have survived well.

Feeding Regime

• Brine shrimp feeding each morning
    • Small portion of gelled food in the net basket for them to pick at throughout the day

This system has worked well with other Africans and it is good to see Haplochromis thereuterion take to it as well. As they grow I hope to get some pictures but right now they are pretty much nondescript grey/blue fry about 5 mm (1/4 in)

Stay tuned ...
    Last edited by VElderton; 5 Days Ago at 08:40 PM.

Fish Room Album