Is over Filtration really necessary?
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Is over Filtration really necessary?

This is a discussion on Is over Filtration really necessary? within the Old World Cichlids forums, part of the Freshwater Species category; Hi, Ok so was told need to over filtrate my cichlid tank. I'm sure most people with Africans would agree ...

DefaultIs over Filtration really necessary?

Hi,

Ok so was told need to over filtrate my cichlid tank. I'm sure most people with Africans would agree this is the thing to do right? Over the past half year I realized that no matter how much filtration I have I will never get rid of nitrates unless I do more water changes. So since I now need to change 50 percent water once a week to keep my nitrates down to an acceptable range. Why then do I need to over filtrate my tank and how does it help? Also one of my filters broke down and was worried things were going to get bad in my tank. To my surprize I have been finding my numbers just as good with the less filtration, since I need to do water changes once a week anyway to keep nitrates down. Just thought I would ask what you think about over filtering your tank and the reason you are doing it or not? This has been a learning process for me as been told if I had extra filtration I could go longer between water changes.(I was all for less water changes. Now I feel not necessary to over filtrate. Any thoughts, maybe I'm wrong? Do I need to go out and get another filter?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Addicted

what size tank and how stocked is your tank. what type of filters are you running? I have a 72g bowfront with about 13 cichlids a small pleco anda huge rhino pleco. i had a 110 aquaclear and a canister running, the canister it is said is a nitrate factory. I stopped using it when it needed cleaning (had it running for about 5years). I have a spongefilter though which provides water movement and keep the water level a bit low so lots of surface aggitation from the aquaclear. I do only top ups and a couple decent water changes a month and my stock is fine. I stopped checking perimeters a long time ago. when i change the water i do about 1/3 I have been told you shouldnt change more than 5 inches. moral of my story is if your fish have lots of water movement, the other readings r in range that nitrates arent really harmful as i get them from the well water anyway. i would say keep 2 going anyway because you might need to set up an emergency tank or if you r like me set up tanks for impulse buying. I dont vacuum my sand so lots of floaties at feeding time and such but the fish are healthy. just my opinion

Not sure what you consider over filtration.

Most filtration I am aware works to supply water movement / surface agitation - dissolved air for oxygen, mechanical water polishing - particulates and breakdown of bio-solids, control of ammonia. There are filter systems that help with nitrates i.e. sumps with hydro-ponic plant growth but they are less common.

The breakdown of ammonia happens aerobically, that's what your filters were handling as bio-solids and extra food is broken down. Nitrate breakdown is an anaerobic process so unless you are using a special filter media in your filters that promotes that anaerobic bacterial process, water changes are really effective - eliminates it instantly especially from our Lower Mainland reservoir source.

I have kept African tanks for a number of years, bred a number of species and this set-up has worked well for me.

1) Cycled the water through my filters at 10x the water volume of each tank per / hr. when filters are at peak efficiency

2) Used 2 filters a canister and a HOB, sometimes I add a sponge filter but not always

3) Kept the fish bio-load around 15 cm (6") of fish for every 10 l (3 gal) of water.

4) Used bio-active Carib sand subtrate - this was a huge improvement a few years ago when I started using it

This arrangement has worked well for me for years. The only thing I have added is power flow units to create current and reduce dead spots.

Hope this helps, I am sure there will be a number of other opinions.
    Last edited by VElderton; 12-26-2016 at 08:41 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Ok thanks guys, thats alot of good info will re read a few times to absorb it all. My tank is 125g and is stocked with 30 assorted africans. At moment have xp3 and AC 110, was also running fluval 404 too but it started leaking a little and don't trust it. I also have wavemaker for more agitation and to prevent dead spots. Do you think I need to add another filter as right now would be a good time to get one with all the sales going on? Everything is good with my schedule of once a week water changes and everyone is healthy. Nitrates do seem to climb more then I like tho but its manageable.

Super Moderator SeaHorse_Fanatic's Avatar

Add some hydroton to your filters and the clay balls will eventually house the anaerobic nitrate-consuming bacteria to help reduce your nitrates.

I would not consider a med. canister and a lg HOB filter to be anywhere close to being overfiltered for a tank that size with large cichlids. I had 3 canisters & 3 HOB on a 65g overstocked community planted tank, which was overfiltered but I like it that way.

Anthony

Think will add another xp3. Does anyone know price of one at king eds during sale?

Just got some hydroton given to me a while ago. Do you think its better then reg biomedia for helping with nitrates?
    Last edited by blueberry; 12-27-2016 at 11:50 AM.

Hydroton controls all three nitrogen-based waste products. The other bio media only do Ammonia & Nitrite, NOT nitrate.

Ok thats sounds great! Will give it a try!

Rinse clean before using hydroton. Usually quite a bit of dust.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast