ADA 60P & 5G Do!Aqua Mini-M (Dou)
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree164Likes

ADA 60P & 5G Do!Aqua Mini-M (Dou)

This is a discussion on ADA 60P & 5G Do!Aqua Mini-M (Dou) within the Tank Journals forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; Hi everyone, So I started with one tank last fall and during Christmas I really wanted another. I also had ...

Dou

DefaultADA 60P & 5G Do!Aqua Mini-M (Dou)

Hi everyone,

So I started with one tank last fall and during Christmas I really wanted another. I also had plants in a bowl and didn't like that anymore... so I ended up going to the store and getting a 5G Do!Aqua tank. This one is my favourite so.. I'm gonna keep a forum journal on it haha. Here are my main learning points so far (spare you the detailed details):
    - Pygmy cories don't move much especially in small tanks (even if there's a lot of them - 13?). They were (and are still) always also hiding behind my big rock... so if you want to see your fish and shrimp, don't put a big rock right smack in the middle and give them space to go behind it lol.
    - Otocats and Pygmy cories will ruin your carpeting... mine freaked out whenever they saw me and kicked up the aquasoil. I had enough of this and eventually fished about 9 pygmy cories out of there. They are hard to catch in a small tank. Basically I find kicked up HC every day after work and replant them.
    - What goes in... is really hard to get back out... I moved things/knocked things over quite a bit.
    - Full dosage of what's recommended on fertilizers give me serious algae issues. Began dosing half of what's suggested and things are much better under control.
    - My crystal red shrimp (CRS) at first didn't go for algae. After I added some red rili shrimp - they kinda showed them how to be a shrimp.
    - HC did not melt, but does not grow very fast either. I ended up adding more easy to grow plants from my other tanks as I did not like how empty it began to look.
    - Creating mounds will not work unless you have substrate supports (you can see in my photos). It really leveled out after 4 months.
    - Anubias Nana Petite (not sure if this is the right name for it) does not like to be directly under light. I removed a section of it as it was growing a lot of algae on top.

Photos:
    Date: 20151225

Date: 20160309

Equipment:
    - Hydor 50W Heater
    - Aquaclear 20 w/ BioMax, Scouring Pads
    - Do!Aqua Mini-M (5G)
    - ADA Solar Mini-M Light & Fixture (27W) // Glorified Desk Lamp x)

Plants:
    - Java Fern
    - HC Cuba
    - Anubias Nana Petites
    - Echinodorus
    - Hygrophila (2 Types.. Can't remember name exactly. One is pink if there's CO2 and the other is Siamenses (sp?))
    - Anubias
    - Fissidens Moss
    - Misc. plants from other tanks that I don't want to throw away (S. Repens, Ludwigia Brevips, Rotala Rotundifolia, Duckweed, Floating Something...)

Inhabitants:
    - 4x Pygmy Cory
    - 10+ CRS & 4+ Babies
    - 6 Red Rili Shrimp
    - 1x Otocat
    - Ramshorn Snails

Other:
    - Expensive Rock
    - Tropica Aquarium Soil Substrate
    - Tropica Premium Fertilizer
    - Aquavitro P Fertilizer
    - Excel (0.5 mL/day)
    - Indian Almond Leaves

Parameters:
    - 7.2-7.4 pH
    - 9-10 gH
    - 2-3 kH

====

ADA 60P

Brio35
    Last edited by Dou; 06-15-2016 at 10:03 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

looking good sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Guy and Dou like this.

Sweet nano tank!
    Dou likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Dou

Added photos of my other 2 tanks... I'm addicted what can I say x). All the green and nature in these tanks really make our little condo feel homey and peaceful.

Nice tanks Dou!! What kind of sand is that in your 60P?
    Apparent "SJW for the aquarist that can't travel or doesn't want to." Fighting for your right to ask for delivery since 2016!

ADA 45P Shrimp & Buce Tank
    ADA 60P High Tech Planted - Addicted to Stems!
    ADA 90P CAF Discus Grow Out Contest

Dou

Quote Originally Posted by battmanh View Post
    Nice tanks Dou!! What kind of sand is that in your 60P?
    ADA Colorado - if you don't need a lot I can give you what I have left over for free =).
    rwong2k10 likes this.

Forum Resident

looks great!
    Dou likes this.
    My Aquarium Blog: (random thoughts written down) http://rwaquariumpages.blogspot.ca/

http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/tank-...aquarium-74226 120 planted aquarium journal on BCA

Quote Originally Posted by Dou View Post
    ADA Colorado - if you don't need a lot I can give you what I have left over for free =).
    Thanks for always being so generous I actually have a bag of the same sand but I haven't used it in a tank yet. I thought I didn't like it but now that I look at it in your tank I might actually use it for my next tank!
    Dou likes this.
    Apparent "SJW for the aquarist that can't travel or doesn't want to." Fighting for your right to ask for delivery since 2016!

ADA 45P Shrimp & Buce Tank
    ADA 60P High Tech Planted - Addicted to Stems!
    ADA 90P CAF Discus Grow Out Contest

Dou

Quote Originally Posted by battmanh View Post
    Thanks for always being so generous I actually have a bag of the same sand but I haven't used it in a tank yet. I thought I didn't like it but now that I look at it in your tank I might actually use it for my next tank!
    Haha my habrosus cories are chilling on it all the time. One of the reasons why I went with this sand is because it looks a bit more natural - which is what I wanted for the tank in general (hence my search for wild-type cherry shrimp... no luck so far, not until Pat gets back at least). Glad it was of some help!

Dou

I wanted to give this journal a little update - but my 5G is not looking so hot right now haha. There are some things I want to do before I take an updated picture... so in its place I have an updated photo of my 60P x). Still trying to solve some algae issues - increased flow, keeping CO2 constant now and hoping for the best.

Edit// Special thanks to Ray (rwong2k10) for all the help/tips!

Last edited by Dou; 04-20-2016 at 10:51 AM.
    The Guy, Reckon, battmanh and 6 others like this.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast