British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

***1st Annual BCA Auction Thread ***

9K views 86 replies 39 participants last post by  gklaw 
#1 ·
THANK YOU EVERYONE THAT CAME DOWN! Was a good turnout. Managed to get through alot of the stuff. Meet alot of people. I hope those that participated had fun.

This was our first auction so we understand there will be some gripes and we're learning as it comes.

So if you have some complaints, suggestions or praises feel free to share them here.

A few things I think we could've done better

1. FOOD (we ran out early, we were expecting a smaller crowd. Maybe a bit more variety too.)
2. Organizing the bids and items for sale better (one computer wasn't compatible with the program we designed which slowed us down a little). Got a little chaotic near the end.
3. More time. We were very rushed at the end with piles of stuff to go. Would've been nice to be able to talk to more people and get to put names to faces.

Feel free to throw some more at us for we know better for next time.

Extra special thanks to those that helped out with the setup (Luke, Anthony plus the many others. You know who you are. I apologize I don't know everyone by name), the vendors that donated the giveaways, Stu AKA CRS Fan for being the auctioneer (you did an awesome job) and lastly.....Shawn AKA Nicklfire for more or less setting up and organizing the whole thing. Without them this wouldn't have been possible.

Thanks again everyone!!! Hopefully we'll do better and be a bit more efficient next time around.

See less See more
#7 ·
I had a great time and boght some fantastic items! Thank you for for everyone involved!! cant wait for next year!!

#10 ·
Wow, was that a great auciton, it went much smoother then i thought.

Thanks C for starting this thread, much needed and we are very thanksful to everyone who showed up as well all of the volunteers. I have said we have a GREAT Staff and to take battle wounds (seahorse) that's taking one for the team :) Luc who i drove to the auction turned into a runner which saved our butt. The concession girl was a nice treat wasnt it!!! she did amazing and saved us in a pinch. Also shaobo who had to do a petty cash run to the tank and took his time out.. much appreciated

I'd like to thank Tom our SOLE expo vendor, i hope it was wroth his wild and he was a GREAT asset there. He's a really nice and knowledgable guy.

VAHS- i'll apologize for our auction taking place so near to yours, glad you guys could make it, i welcome the support and the offering for the help which i should have taken you up on your offer :)

STU- you were a bad ass auctioneer, you did amazing, i was very very impressed, you were comedic and grat knowledge, im very satisifed in your ability and would ask you again in a sec.. (if you accepted)

I believe about 350 items went through if my calculations are correct. All said and done i think we made a profit of about 75$ lol. That may seem not like alot but we had ALOT of fun, the venue was GREAT , overpriced but GREAT i loved it... AND we didnt LOSE money lol.. Again thanks everyone

If anyone has any pictures then please post them i'd love to see them.

If anyone has any follow up you can always pm me

also slight apology to anyone who bought the crush sodas and hated it, my wife pointed out they are diet... DOH!!! cant blame anyone but myself.

#13 ·
It was a very well run event, thanks to everyone involved. I had a great time, reconnected with some old friends, overspent on livestock. All in all, a day well spent. :)

#15 · (Edited)
I had an awesome time! Thanks to Clarence, Shawn, Anthony, and Stu! And of course all the buyers and sellers! There was so much to bid on, both awesome live-stock and equipment! I'm looking forward to next year because it will be even better. You guys can write me down as a volunteer in advance Running around was tiring but fun, I have no complaints, I enjoyed all of it!

Thanks again to everyone!
Luc

P.S I love my new Betta :D He's loving the planted 33 :p

#17 · (Edited)
I was supposed to go back home and work at noon but had so much fun I ended up staying the whole day. It was great. Waaaaay smoother than I thought it would be considering its our first go at a big auction. Thanks Shawn & Clarence for setting it up, especially our buddy from the Wack. Luc, good "running" with you. I thank everyone who came, saw, bought, sold, talked & hung out. Thanks to Pam and all for the Fluval Flora. Mr. Frogfish loves his new home.

BTW, Fraggelrock has volunteered to take charge of the food next year if we do it again (she's a baker;))

Anthony

#25 ·
Oh so sweet Chris :) Cinnamon buns coming your way......

#19 ·
The auction went very well indeed; especially for a first for BCA..Next year might call for a bigger venue with a little more time given to BCA. Unfortunately it had to be ended this time with quite a number of things that didn't make it to the auctioneer .. Thanks Clarence and especially Shawn for setting it up ... and to Stu for doing the barking .. Anthony and Luc for doing the running .

#21 ·
There were still quite a few nice items in my big tub :) Must we wait another year ?

I still can put together a tub of 50 better goods. It is getting tougher though - but will certainly better :D Cannot believe those VHOs went for under $10 ea :rolleyes: Hate my remaining treasures go unreserved after that. The rest did make it up pretty good. Thanks to all the buyers.

Two lateral filing cabinets almost completely empty !! I think I will fill them back up by cleaning up the goodies from my laundry room :) My wife would love that for sure.

#27 ·
I really enjoyed the auction. It was great to see some familiar faces & to meet some new people as well. Thanks so much to Shawn, Clarence, Stuart, Anthony, Luc, & anyone else whose name I missed for all the hard work. Thank you also to the two kind gentlemen who carried in 75 lbs of sand for me. Shaobo/Ed - I'm loving my new Betta albimarginata's :)

#28 ·
I had a really good time and was happy with the few things I picked up. I laughed when I realized that my plecos were already fighting over the double slate pleco cave within a few minutes of putting it in my tank! Maybe that means some more babies will be on the way soon. I picked up some HC for my nano tank which is exciting to try out and I am looking forward to planting all the rest of my plant acquisitions tomorrow.

I agree that it went really well for a first go and thanks to the organizers.

#29 ·
By the time I got all my livestock sorted and plants planted it was dark and my lights had shut off so I did not get the opportunity to sit and stare at my new fish.
Fortunately I had a couple of 5 gallon tanks cycling with 50% of the water from water changes in other tanks and the AC sponge filters wrung out into the tanks to start them.

The endelers went into one with 10 of my ABNP fry.
And the mixed bag Swordtails, Platies, and Guppies along with the L 144 male BNP went into my BioCube.
I will have to remove the lace fin ABNP and put one of my other female L144's in with him to start setting up house <I hope>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.