Burnaby is considering banning animal sales in pet shops!!!! City Hall meeting Monday - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Burnaby is considering banning animal sales in pet shops!!!! City Hall meeting Monday

This is a discussion on Burnaby is considering banning animal sales in pet shops!!!! City Hall meeting Monday within the Aqua Lounge forums, part of the Aqua Lounge category; Hey, maybe they'll extend it to ban those people who take up two parking spaces! I could support that....

Hey, maybe they'll extend it to ban those people who take up two parking spaces! I could support that.

Gone fishing....

Official Plecoholics Member #11

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Anthony's right. Post-sec institutions have to go through miles of red tape to keep anything higher than invertebrates. It's all in the name of animal rights, and though I believe in their rights, I'm not for the wackjobs that want animals treated better than people.

Unless people take responsibility, it will come down to extremists slowly instituting their agenda and people will start living by "this is why we can't have nice things".

I doubt I'll be able to make the hearing, maybe if my wife is out there that day she'll feel compelled to go. Hopefully some people who represent the interests of the aquatic hobbyist community and LFS's will be there to defend us. Hopefully Nicole doesn't go and undermine the majority of aquarists, or instead decides to buy her marine fish from clean sources, or at least does homework on how they're caught if it deeply matters to her. That whole dirty fishing issue is something the aquatic community can address (right here on BCA even) without asking municipalities to make laws banning all sales outright. Please don't take offense Nicole, but I think that's the way to see the right kind of change. People need to be educated. Taking away all marine fish sales in Burnaby would probably annoy more than a couple of people, nor does it directly address the issue. Grant marketed net caught fish, and has posts on here describing differences in stores between net and cyanide caught fish. Maybe the new IPU will continue this. However, if you ban all marine sales, they won't be able to even offer you that.

I'm not for the wackjobs that want animals treated better than people.
    If you mean some of the far-out extremists at PETA, no argument. But enforcing basic care and responsibility isn't "treating animals better than people", nor are the two mutually exclusive. Ignorant whackjobs who abuse animals are far more likely to abuse other humans, IME, and both should be prevented at all costs.

I hope that the new ownership at IPU continues the practice of education around dirty fishing and horrible practices like dyed fish. The more people who are aware of it, the more people will know to ask questions when buying their fish, and hopefully be able to make better choices. I do fully support sale or trade bans on endangered or at-risk species of any description, and believe any store caught dealing in those species should be fined severely.

If Burnaby wanted to really do something useful, they might start by partnering with local pet stores and rescues to develop a comprehensive public education program...oh, and maybe actually enforce their own animal control/treatment bylaws.
    Diztrbd1 and datfish like this.

Gone fishing....

Official Plecoholics Member #11

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Banned

I will try to be there even though I do not live in Burnaby.

Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    If you mean some of the far-out extremists at PETA, no argument. But enforcing basic care and responsibility isn't "treating animals better than people", nor are the two mutually exclusive. Ignorant whackjobs who abuse animals are far more likely to abuse other humans, IME, and both should be prevented at all costs.
    Absolutely, I did mean the PETA types and the culture and mentality they foster. Many people aren't willing to take responsibility, and it's basically shaping our world now, especially anything legal or judicial.

Maybe the city of Burnaby could do more about following up on stink holes like Pet Habitat. If even after the CBC marketplace feature they're still doing what they do (and I haven't been there since but I'm assuming they do), maybe heavier enforcement crackdowns could start there, and not bother other businesses like IPU and KE that aren't dirty and don't need tv programs to expose them.

Banned

I fully agree with the ban of the sales of puppies and kittens in stores, but not fish or corals...

Puppies and cats should only be allowed to be sold from licensed breeders.

Banning the sale of fish and corals is completely stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by DBam View Post
    Hopefully Nicole doesn't go and undermine the majority of aquarists, or instead decides to buy her marine fish from clean sources, or at least does homework on how they're caught if it deeply matters to her. That whole dirty fishing issue is something the aquatic community can address (right here on BCA even) without asking municipalities to make laws banning all sales outright. Please don't take offense Nicole, but I think that's the way to see the right kind of change. People need to be educated. Taking away all marine fish sales in Burnaby would probably annoy more than a couple of people, nor does it directly address the issue. Grant marketed net caught fish, and has posts on here describing differences in stores between net and cyanide caught fish. Maybe the new IPU will continue this. However, if you ban all marine sales, they won't be able to even offer you that.
    ?? When did I say I want everything to be banned ?? Of course I'll take offence for something I didn't say. In my first post I said "Maybe there shouldn't be a ban but there should be stricter regulations." Then in my second post I once again said, "That's why I suggested stricter regulations instead of banning all animals." As a fish keeper, why would I want to ban myself from keeping fish?! Goodness, I need to learn to keep my 2 cents to myself on here. So, this is my last post on this thread.

I want the ban for mistreated animals (which includes fish) but there are definitely good pet stores too or else I wouldn't have anything in my tanks! I never said I wanted to ban all marine sales. Did you not notice all the past coral group buys? I said I can see why there are other people who would want the ban to pass. They most likely don't keep any pets and all they see is the cruelty behind it. I would be very upset if I couldn't buy any more corals..I do support aquacultured corals and captive bred fish over wild caught ones though. I 100% support responsible pet stores.

I agree education is key. Easier said than done though. The dirty fishing business cannot be solved through just talking about it, just like the whole puppy mill business. It's been talked about for years. I'm not confident KE isn't dirty but let's not get into that because frankly, there are people who just don't care how they get what they want. I think most people on here agree that there should be a ban on the sales of dogs/cats and that's the side I'm on.
    Last edited by Nicole; 11-20-2013 at 06:11 PM.
    Elle and Master wilkins like this.
    Thanks for all the kindness exhibited by BCA members.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    I didn't realize fish would be included in the ban. It is unfortunate but i am for the ban if it means shops like pet habitat can quit selling their puppy mill dogs and deceiving customers into thinking they come from some non-existant championship family line. I know many of us on here are disgusted when you see shops sell unhealthy fish. What about unhealthy cats, dogs, birds, etc?
    I think the above quote is what he was referring to.

Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion and I do not have a problem with you either for it or against it or whatever you feel is right.

People could lose income and shops may close down which concerns me more.
    Last edited by Fish rookie; 11-20-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Super Moderator SeaHorse_Fanatic's Avatar

The main agenda is to get bans on puppies, kittens and rabbits, but heard through the grapevine that they will try to expand any animal ban to include pretty much anything that pet shops sell, including corals and sw fish. In reality, they can make a stronger argument to stop the selling of imported, wild-harvest sw fish and corals than they can for kittens and rabbits IMO. I think that having as many pet lovers attending will help get the message that regulating puppy sales to keep puppy mill pups out is something people can support but that trying to shut down our petshops and expanding their demands to pretty much every animal is not.

With fanatics like this, you know that its a "give them an inch and they'll take a mile" kind of mentality. They send out their first media salvo mentioning puppy mills & etc. but their true agenda is to shut down all pet shops since they don't think animals should be sold or kept as pets. If they had their way, we'd all be vegans and all the animals would be running around loose with more rights than humans.

Just a while ago, they were trying to ban all reptiles and exotic animals in BC if I remember correctly.
    Fish rookie likes this.

Here we go again.

People, please do enough deligence on reading post before jumping into conclusion. Can we avoid posting things that may provoke debate and disagreement unless otherwised asked for your own opinion. And please stop stirring the pot if we can.

This thread is posted to make all of us aware about the proposed ban and not to have a discussion and debate.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast