Death of the Modern Forum - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Death of the Modern Forum

This is a discussion on Death of the Modern Forum within the Aqua Lounge forums, part of the Aqua Lounge category; I too noticed in around 2014ish/2015 a lot of the names I knew were not showing up on the BCA ...

I too noticed in around 2014ish/2015 a lot of the names I knew were not showing up on the BCA site anymore. Things change and people come and go it seems, I know myself when I was into the saltwater I rarely was on our forum as it seems to be more freshwater folks here. Glad to hear others that like using the BCA forum as I do.
    I have nothing against social media tools and use them often, but not for my hobby.
    mikebike likes this.
    Back in the hobby, 1- 20 gallon shrimp tank and a 42 gallon community corner tank

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

I don't post in the forum very often now, but do check it daily , and usually more than once daily. I also am in other forums following other interests , and on Facebook. Forums are better for posting and answering questions that you want to be able to come back to. Facebook groups are very poor for looking back even a couple of days, but they are much easier to post pix up on , or for opening a conversation, either by text or by voice and video and for sharing pix and files during that chat.

I use the forums, FB, and Skype regularly to keep in touch with friends and family as well as text and regular voice connections on my cell phone. Yes, it's becoming a very interconnected digital world we're in now. FB may be the biggest reason activity has dropped on many forums, but the forums remain a valuable asset for every interest group. Being able to use both forums and FB is an ideal situation in my opinion. They complement one another rather than being a replacement.
    The Guy and Mark Brown like this.

Super Moderator SeaHorse_Fanatic's Avatar

I use FB to keep up with personal friends, family & such. I also try to avoid posting info upcoming trips on FB or pics of my kids. Also, as soon as you hit return on FB, whatever you typed is posted forever and cannot be edited.

BCAquaria is where I call my online home. I also used to be more active on Canreef cause of the reefing side of my addiction, but as my sw tanks are mainly full and some of the changes that happened within the membership there, I am not as active on that sw forum. Since sw is by far the more expensive fishy addiction, I find that a lot of my old reefing buddies are no longer in the hobby or have become inactive on the forums.

BCA was also a lot more active a couple years ago. My analysis of the drop in activity seems to point to several causes:

FB & other social media sucking up people's online time
    Life changes (moving, having kids, different hobbies) causing young-middle aged members to sell off their tanks
    Retirement & changing priorities (sell off fish room to go traveling more) causing the loss of many long-time older members
    Too many other digital distractions (ie. video games & tv) resulting in low recruitment of new, young aquarists
    Insanely high housing prices, cost-of-living, & moving into strata controlled condos where aquariums are forbidden or greatly restricted & people have no funds available for aquariums
    All these negative factors have lead to more LFS shutting down and even less people staying or entering this hobby

Unfortunately, the last couple years has been like a "perfect storm" that is hurting the fish-keeping hobby in general and reducing traffic on online fish forums like BCA.

I will most likely never be an active FB group member for my hobby/addiction for many of the same reasons posted by other members. I like trying to build a community on BCA and getting to know members on a more personal level, through discussions, pms, phone calls & even visits and hosting BCA bbqs. I would NEVER do a lot of that for a FB group. I prefer the lively discussions in our different subforums, find topics and threads easily on BCA, and, yes, the ability to ban "bad" or troublemaking members to keep this a family-oriented forum.

Too often, trolls and cowards use FB & other social media to be "snarky" as someone mentioned and act tough or in ways they would never actually act or say in real life. They like to remain anonymous. On forums like ours, members have the ability to complain or notify moderators if someone is causing trouble or a thread is going sideways in a bad way. Hard to do this on FB groups.

Sorry for the essay.

Anthony

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Novice

FACEBOOK is too invasive for my liking. I prefer the FORUM format - like BCAquaria - for connecting with other hobbyists.

Forum God

I agree with the causes Anthony listed for the decline of BCAquaria, but would add one more: a lack of promotion. Before it was sold to corporate interests, there used to be monthly prizes for users who posted 25 times or more a month. This greatly increased participation. A few other efforts were made such as contests and once, if I remember right, there was a VAHS style auction. Of course, the time and money required for this sort of thing makes no business sense, so it had to stop. Too bad, but things change.

I can think of one other factor. It may be a small one, but could be easily changed. Last year a new, complicated password system was implemented. Many people were locked out of their accounts, and some never returned. It was stated at the time that in one year everybody would be required to change passwords once again. If this happens, we will lose another wave of members when some decide against going through the bother of re-opening accounts.

Super Moderator SeaHorse_Fanatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    I agree with the causes Anthony listed for the decline of BCAquaria, but would add one more: a lack of promotion. Before it was sold to corporate interests, there used to be monthly prizes for users who posted 25 times or more a month. This greatly increased participation. A few other efforts were made such as contests and once, if I remember right, there was a VAHS style auction. Of course, the time and money required for this sort of thing makes no business sense, so it had to stop. Too bad, but things change.

I can think of one other factor. It may be a small one, but could be easily changed. Last year a new, complicated password system was implemented. Many people were locked out of their accounts, and some never returned. It was stated at the time that in one year everybody would be required to change passwords once again. If this happens, we will lose another wave of members when some decide against going through the bother of re-opening accounts.
    I agree with Tom's points. I will bring this up with the admin.

PS: Have sent TomC's "factors" to Yungster (admin) who will hopefully discuss these concerns with the team that admins BCA. Fingers crossed that something will be done to positively affect these issues.
    Last edited by SeaHorse_Fanatic; 02-20-2017 at 01:26 PM.

I don't have Facebook and I never will.
    Mark Brown likes this.

Well put. I really do like that there is such a strong presence of serious aquarists on this forum. Facebook might be convenient for casuals but nothing beats the depth of discussion on forums.
    Mark Brown likes this.

Forum Novice

Someone mentioned it's easy to ban people on forums - to be fair, it's just as easy to ban troublemakers on Facebook.

Also, I agree with the password thing too. It's a pain to comeback to a forum to find I need to change my password for no reason and I'm REALLY not looking forward to doing it again for no reason. We aren't exactly a place that requires "high security" after all (no credit card info is stored in the profiles, etc).
    It would be sad if more people left due to forced password changes

Regarding fb vs forums again though, it also takes more conscious effort to check forums than it does to check fb. Many people (myself included) browse the fb app whenever they want to kill 5 min. Through that various things are seen, checked on, etc. For a forum it requires conscious effort: "I'm going to go and look at BCA". Plus it's just not as easy to get here (or to any forum) on a mobile device as it is to get to fb.

I second the "neverbooker" motion. Facebook has consumed my wife's soul. Here I thought marriage meant heart and soul till death do you part...damn you Mark Zuckerberg!!

All jest aside, I gotta say I do love that no matter the subject or inquisition someone here has always got an answer to give, a post to recommend or some other miracle of helpful advice to lend. Seems like an amazing group of people that I for one I can say I'm very happy to latch on to

I haven't even scratched the surface of the back catalogue of information that is available to me here and no matter what that had to take a lot of hard work and dedication from a lot of knowledgeable people. For this I thank you all.
    SeaHorse_Fanatic likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast