Exercise equipment - what works well for you??? - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree7Likes

Exercise equipment - what works well for you???

This is a discussion on Exercise equipment - what works well for you??? within the Aqua Lounge forums, part of the Aqua Lounge category; speaking not from experience, i would say the best would be non machine based resistance gear. They will build toned ...

Mr Know It all

speaking not from experience, i would say the best would be non machine based resistance gear. They will build toned muscle rather than just muscle bulk, they are much cheaper than machines, and they take up almost no space.
    33G Reef || 20G Chain Loach Tank || 9.8G Twin Tanks || 2.5G Nano Tank
    Neven's Planted Addiction
    Neven's 33G Reef!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Guru

Gym membership, theres many around you.
    going to the Gym gives you motivation because of all the people thats there and pumping weights or getting in shape.
    try it out for a month or so first and if you actually think your dedicated to the habit of exercising everyday THEN go get these machines or w.e. p90x.

also, if your thinking " HMMM..gym, I gotta drive there just to get an exercise why not just get a machine and do it at home" if your Thinking that way then dont kid yourself your never going to exercise even if you get the machine at home.
    Last edited by BaoBeiZhu; 01-01-2013 at 07:34 PM.
    Claudia: who cares about kids when u r getting a new tank
    Claudia: hahahahhaha

Quote Originally Posted by BaoBeiZhu View Post
    Gym membership, theres many around you.
    going to the Gym gives you motivation because of all the people thats there and pumping weights or getting in shape.
    try it out for a month or so first and if you actually think your dedicated to the habit of exercising everyday THEN go get these machines or w.e. p90x.
    Children usually get in the way of being able to take off for 1+ hours to go to a gym. Nothing like coming home to a pissed off spouse because you abandon them! If you go to the gym together, you need someone to take care of the children while you're there and you end up having 2 memberships which you'd be much better just getting a extra couple of tanks to take care of with the amount you'd end up spending =)
    Help me clear out some of my excess stuff!
    FS: Variety of items, sump, co2 accessories, food, medication ect

Old Freshwater Planted thread
    180 Gallon Planted/Community

New SW Tank thread
    180g Salt Water... Reef? FOWLR? Who knows!

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

The best I have found for cardio and just in general, full body fitness is a rowing machine. By far... it is better then a bike or treadmill or elliptical. It has to be the one with the cable or chain and the fan for resistance.

The other one... this may sound funny but.. the Wii fit! 30 mins a day doing Wii fit is a pretty awesome workout.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Forum Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kacairns View Post
    Children usually get in the way of being able to take off for 1+ hours to go to a gym. Nothing like coming home to a pissed off spouse because you abandon them! If you go to the gym together, you need someone to take care of the children while you're there and you end up having 2 memberships which you'd be much better just getting a extra couple of tanks to take care of with the amount you'd end up spending =)
    30-45 min gym time is honestly pretty little time. you dont necessary need to go for 1 hour +
    BUT go to gym to do your exercises and not go there to do a 5 min jog and rest for 10 minutes.
    Alot of people do that when their weight lifting. do one set and rest for 5 minutes. keep your rest to 30 seconds - 1 minute tops.

but yeah, cardio 30 mins a day and 3-5 times week.
    if you add that up, your doing 1.5 hours to 2.5 hours of jogging a week. which aint bad at all.
    I personally am a little bit of a gym rat, I spend 45 minimum up to 3 hours. but this is because I m on a program kinda thing.
    Claudia: who cares about kids when u r getting a new tank
    Claudia: hahahahhaha

Coach your kid's soccer team and run with a dog. Both of these have worked for me. No longer have a dog, but I do coach my boy's team. Practice once a week and games every Sat. At the 6 year old level, it's a lot of work as you can't just stand there. You run around with them the whole time. Felicia should be the right age to join a league.
    My 100 gallon square tank
    My pleco picture thread
    46 Gallon Bowfront
    ADA Cube Garden
    Saving the world from being plecoless, one at a time....
    No more sig pics

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsx2 View Post
    Coach your kid's soccer team and run with a dog.
    This.
    I coach a U18 team, and I play in an over-40's rec team with the coaches in my club. (a team full of coaches...urgh...). Plus a half hour walk with the dog in the morning, and another hour in the evening...then I chase my kids around..who needs a gym??
    55 gallon in the set up process - will be apistogrammas
    Empty 65, 33, 20 gallon long waiting...
    Talla, the annoying cat

best that works for me are elliptical trainers for cardio and trx suspension trainer for toning the muscles.

- Keitaro

33g Heavily planted community tank
    10g Medium rimless Iwagumi planted tank.

Super Moderator SeaHorse_Fanatic's Avatar

No time for a gym. Often try to squeeze in some exercise late at night while editing papers or just have something to do while watching some tv in order to multi-task my break time. Used to have a glider-type machine that Felicia and I would use together and then I upgraded to a bigger one that didn't quite work out as well so now I want to get something that we can use when its late at night or the weather is not suitable for walking around the neighbourhood. I take Felicia for a walk or down to the local playgrounds all the time when the weather is nice, but our winters are kinda wet and cold for that sort of activity a lot of times. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

A good pair of running shoes and a running buddy is a great start. I'm a big fan of body weight work and tabatas - my training gym uses them and they need minimal equipment and can be done anywhere. You can also vary the activity so you don't get bored, and there's no need to store a big clunky machine.

If you want something that you can do at home, I would get an exercise mat, a set of resistance bands, a stability ball and a skipping rope (yes, a skipping rope) and look up body weight exercises like these ones: 20 Best Body Weight Exercises. The other great tool is tabatas - high intensity intervals.

I'd shoot for 3 sessions a week, but start gently to avoid injury.

Playgrounds are actually really great for body weight exercises and tabatas because you can use the equipment for stuff like chinups and agility based stuff while playing with the kids. Some playgrounds actually have fitness circuits built in (when I played rugby, we used to use Queen's Park in New West for cross training...ouch).

PS: Anyone in North Van looking for a running partner?
    Last edited by Elle; 01-02-2013 at 04:44 PM.
    hp10BII likes this.

Gone fishing....

Official Plecoholics Member #11

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2