Global Warming - Time to own up to the problem - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Global Warming - Time to own up to the problem

This is a discussion on Global Warming - Time to own up to the problem within the Aqua Lounge forums, part of the Aqua Lounge category; Similarly that we united globally for Kyoto?...

Similarly that we united globally for Kyoto?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

"1. global minimum wage" I won't waste anyone's time going further than that beyond...:

Let's take it a step further to actually make your plan feasible, let's make a global currency as you suggested, while we ignore one own country's "debt". Global minimum wage?? Unlike your second suggestion, which I feel is almost a ridiculous, at least the previous was percentage based. Not to be ridiculously harsh, but Stalin had a similar plan for his country, did he not?

Mr Know It all

We have little control, partially due to the reason i stated above. But there are greater issues. We have a global economy with no way to put in place measures to control it. There will always be nations ignoring the treaties signed (or treaties forced upon). The only way to limit that would be to re-institute strict trade barriers to the extent of full protectionism. This will hinder the "life-style" of people here since it would cause consumer goods to sky rocket, food prices to increase, etc. People want their toys, now they can't afford 2 ipads, a PC, a big screen tv, and 3 cell phones each (not that they could before hand, but thats another topic). The people who wanted the change will want to ignore global warming again, why? because it affects them on a personal level.

Keep in mind a total restructuring of not only the economy, but the mindset of the corporate world will need to happen, not going to happen when they will be the ones losing money. They will always choose to make as much money as they can now, at the cost of long term sustainability (business wise), why? because they will be long gone (dead or career wise) by the time the negative affects hit the companies.

Now lets look at what we can do.
    Reduce water usage... Locally, that equals less usage of energy to pump water through the grid, water wise, no gains except in july-sept.
    Reduce power usage... We have hydro electric, reduced usage = greater amount of power being sold elsewhere with no dividends being rewarded to us in a form of rate decreases
    Recycle.................... Majority of which you recycle in the blue bins, they go guess where.... THE DUMP! Recycling contractors get paid to pick up the plastics, get paid when they resell the goods, but they dont get paid to sit on the product if they are unable to sell it quickly, so they ship it to the landfill if theres no buyer, which is often.

Now lets look at past global warming campaigns:
    Save the trees! The OZONE LAYER IS DISAPPEARING = greater use of plastics
    Save the fish! = open pen fish farms poisoning the wild fish, seeded areas throughout europe for sustainable 'wild' stock that overtook the local eco systems.
    Stop the crop sprayin! Reduce chemicals used in our farmed food! = raw sewage (not even solids seperated) from septic tanks and johnny on the spots being used throughout canada for fertilizing(yes, blue stuff and all); Genetically engineered crops being used, many of which engineered to not reproduce on their own, meaning you need to keep paying for a crop as a farmer.
    and now: FIX EVERYTHING. = Green products are splashed around everywhere, its a marketing word, often times products being unchanged. We get told to recycle (read above), reduce power, reduce water, reduce waste, etc, we are but a small percentage of the usage, industry being the largest of all (which we indirectly cause). While this is happening, more and more ready to eat foods are being pushed and over packaged to crap. Green labelled products have packages often times triple the necessary size just so we can see it (more waste), Disposable products are at an all time high (gladware, swiffer, cleaning wipes, etc.).

Dont get me wrong, i think change needs to be done, but i do what i can do. I vote for what i believe in, i recycle despite where it ends up, i try not to leave taps on, reuse fish tank water, lowered power usage through alternative lighting methods, i don't drive a car, i use public transit, i refuse to use most disposable products (daipers are the exception), and i almost never eat prepackaged or prepared foods. Overall, it makes no difference to global warming, even if everyone around here did it, but it saves me a ton a lot of cash. Thats the key to all we can do though, people need to realize that a lot of money can be saved at little cost to convenience, with the added bonus of "being green." Beyond that money needs to be spent to buy the politicians since voters aren't taking their jobs away.
    Last edited by neven; 04-07-2012 at 12:54 AM.
    Flytrap likes this.
    33G Reef || 20G Chain Loach Tank || 9.8G Twin Tanks || 2.5G Nano Tank
    Neven's Planted Addiction
    Neven's 33G Reef!

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

I can't disagree with you at the least Neven! (Primarily because nobody boils their kid's dirty shorts anymore!)

Forum Novice

What I like about this whole global warming thing is that everyone seems to think that it's cars and such that are the big issues behind it all, when really, it's something a lot more than that.

Believe it or not, but it's actually livestock.

There are roughly 90 BILLION farm animals out there being raised for food production, and the number is only growing higher with the demand of more meat. What about the energy to grow their food, to feed them, to transport them, to slaughter and finally to your local grocer in the form of packaged flesh OR prepared/frozen meals and various by-products.

Let's not forget these billions of beings produce massive amounts of feces and urine and it has to go somewhere. Negative health issues aside, this practice most certainly contributes to wide scale pollution and contamination of our air, water and land. There is methane and ammonia in all that waste, which are two major factors that contribute to global warming.

Now don't think this is a cry for a vegetarian to try and bring in another point that eating animals is wrong. I very much love my meat. But I also understand that there are obviously a lot of negative effects for having this amount of livestock in the world.
    waterbox likes this.

Banned

And this is the kind of thing we should be doing in Canada:

BBC News - Are Denmark's renewable energy goals wishful thinking?
    waterbox likes this.

Banned

This thread is over 4 years old. It has not been a good past 4 years concerning Global Warming. In fact, things are reaching a crisis point for coral reefs:

Global warming, El Nino leave 36 per cent of coral reefs on death watch - Technology & Science - CBC News

And today comes this news:

Earth's Relentless Warming Just Hit a Terrible New Threshold - Bloomberg

Later this week the National Energy Board is going to be releasing its recommendations concerning the Kinder Morgan Trans-Mountain Pipeline expansion. If it gets approved, get ready for action from climate activists in the months to come.

Banned

Here we go - Kinder Morgan Transmountain pipeline expansion just got approved by the NEB. This means 400 tankers a year off our BC coast filled with dirty TAR SAND climate killing heavy bitumen.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/pipe...tion-1.3589518

Oppose this development and join the Dogwood Initiative today: https://dogwoodinitiative.org/

You can't out-message the organized
    Last edited by stratos; 05-19-2016 at 03:07 PM.

Forum Snooper

Very much appreciate your efforts to revive this thread, stratos. I believe this issue (global warming) should be a priority for everyone in the developed world.

I agree with you: Developing more long-term infrastructure to perpetuate our oil-based economy is madness. We need to put our efforts into developing alternatives to oil consumption. As Denmark and some European countries (like Germany) have shown us, it can be done. It is being done. But for some reason, people in North America (with the exception of a few true leaders, like Elon Musk) prefer to stand around saying, "Well, nothing I do will make a difference. Therefore I will make no effort."

Do you know what it would have taken for North America to meet the goals of the Kyoto accord? Everyone would have to dry their clothes on a line, rather than stuffing it into the clothes dryer--the single most energy-hungry appliance in most of our homes (unless you have central air conditioning). That's all. Not much of an effort, really, to save a planetary ecosystem.

We've got to try harder. We have to curb our energy consumption, give up our private automobiles, reduce consumption of meat, and have no more than one child.

These are things that most of us can do, if we want them badly enough.

The problem is laziness.
    stratos, Flytrap and Geoffrey like this.

Agriculture, specifically cattle ranching is a huge contributor to Global warming, of course, nobody wants to talk about that...
    stratos likes this.
    Cheers,
    Ryan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast