HST vote! - Page 5
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

HST vote!

This is a discussion on HST vote! within the Aqua Lounge forums, part of the Aqua Lounge category; I just voted No to extinguishing the HST. No, I do not believe the ballot question is misleading considering those ...

I just voted No to extinguishing the HST. No, I do not believe the ballot question is misleading considering those who it is pandering to - those who are in favour of having it extinguished.
    A harmonized tax can only be efficient in the long run - it effectively cuts reporting costs by both the business person and the government in half.

Having a look at the list posted by Neven, I can't imagine, as a poor student, "needing" any of those aside from smoke detectors and school supplies. I would love to see the day when I can hire and Accountant, Architect, Private Fitness Trainer, Massage Therapist, Wedding Planner, Tailor, and be able to have my grass cut while I Moore my Yacht, before I catch my private Bus to the Spa during the trip to the Ski Hill. This consumption tax certainly targets the poor.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cpool View Post
    I think something that BCers should be up in arms over more than the HST is the cost differences between here and the Stats and if we can get our costs down, then the HST won't make that much of a difference. I mean $2 a gallon for milk compaired to almost $5 here, seriously, that is crazy.
    Man, that is the truth...just shop online with companies that have both american and canadian sites. I found a $500.00 price difference for the exact same product for something I wanted between a US and Canadian site...how does the retailer justify a $500.00 cost difference? Chances are the product is shipped out of the same US warehouse anyways but where is the $500.00 upcharge?

Canadians are getting ripped off by retailers in my mind. The Seattle Premium Outlet Mall is a great example. I bought two pairs of dress shoes (first line, not factory seconds) and two Nike tennis shirts, for the same price as I could buy one pair of dress shoes here in Vancouver.

We get taxed to death here in Canada and the retailers use the cost difference in the dollar and import fees and stuff like that to justify prices...sorry I dont buy it...I too shop south of the border and until such times as someone tells me straight up, why the HST is better for this province and better for me, I will support Mr. Vander Zalm and vote YES to extinguish the HST

Forum Newbie

This HST discussion is quite interesting. Given the distance we in BC have gone down the HST path to date, turning back the clock does not seem prudent or practical. People are best to vent their unhappiness at the next Provincial Election.

The Proposition model (like this HST vote), where citizens make virtually day-to-day decisions on whether they want to pay taxes has been shown in California to not work well at all (the outcomes have created huge problems for basic services to the population as this link target shows):

The 2011-12 Budget: California's Fiscal Outlook

As for the differences in cost of goods between the US and Canada. In specific cases, sure there are issues and anomalies. But by and large the two most significant reasons for cheap US goods are:

1) The US market (2010 census put it at about 308 million) is approximately 10x larger than the Canadian market, and

2) The US economy is not reflecting the true cost of goods to its consumers.

Note that:

As of June 29th, 2011, the Total Public Debt Outstanding of the United States of America was $14.46*trillion and was approximately 98.6% of calendar year 2010's annual gross domestic product (GDP) of $14.66*trillion.

So, if Greece is any indicator, you should expect that things are not going to remain cheap in the US for very much longer.

Would anyone wish to trade both the Canadian population size and the deficit for the current US situation?

To me the HST seems easier to work with and fine tune. If there are applications of the tax we disagree with, then we should lobby our politicians to address those specific issues and determine what programs should be cut or where that revenue will be recovered. For sure, in my view, the budget models being used south of the border are not something we want to emulate.

Cheers.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by bcareader View Post
    This HST discussion is quite interesting. Given the distance we in BC have gone down the HST path to date, turning back the clock does not seem prudent or practical. People are best to vent their unhappiness at the next Provincial Election.

The Proposition model (like this HST vote), where citizens make virtually day-to-day decisions on whether they want to pay taxes has been shown in California to not work well at all (the outcomes have created huge problems for basic services to the population as this link target shows):

The 2011-12 Budget: California's Fiscal Outlook

As for the differences in cost of goods between the US and Canada. In specific cases, sure there are issues and anomalies. But by and large the two most significant reasons for cheap US goods are:

1) The US market (2010 census put it at about 308 million) is approximately 10x larger than the Canadian market, and

2) The US economy is not reflecting the true cost of goods to its consumers.

Note that:

As of June 29th, 2011, the Total Public Debt Outstanding of the United States of America was $14.46*trillion and was approximately 98.6% of calendar year 2010's annual gross domestic product (GDP) of $14.66*trillion.

So, if Greece is any indicator, you should expect that things are not going to remain cheap in the US for very much longer.

Would anyone wish to trade both the Canadian population size and the deficit for the current US situation?

To me the HST seems easier to work with and fine tune. If there are applications of the tax we disagree with, then we should lobby our politicians to address those specific issues and determine what programs should be cut or where that revenue will be recovered. For sure, in my view, the budget models being used south of the border are not something we want to emulate.

Cheers.
    California is far from having low taxes. I spent 25 years there, and they find very creative ways to get your money in "fees".

California needs to learn to spend less, and learn they dont need to offer as many social services as they do, and get inline with most of the other 48 states.

Forum Novice

This tax has been brought in by a bunch of amatuers. If this is a good tax why couldn't they bring it to the legislature to debate like a democracy? Oh right, we don't open the legislature, it's too inconvenient for the liberals.

Now we here we need upgraded hydro metres at our homes, that will cost us hundreds of millions and all the benefits touted by the government are turning out to be lies.(they are open to hackers)

Utilities commision has been cut out of policy decisions so insiders can lock up power contracts

BC Rail sale...
    ...and I could go on but for what?

If there's cynacism out here it's well earned.

But I think it's probably a good tax.

As far as trickle down effect... our dollar has risen from 66 cents to over $1.00 yet a vehicle hasn't dropped 70%. Trickle down is the biggest load of bollucks since the oil shortage.

Just voted No. As stated before I think there should have been a 3rd question, to keep it until 2015.

BcaReader is absolutely correct. There is one detail to remember. The person that introduced this has already lost his job. The other Liberals may or may not have been involved, but to accuse them with solid evidence, is no different to a friend of yours getting terminated at work, then you getting terminated as well, with the employer reasoning that if he/she committed the offense that you, being his/her must be guilty as well.

If you are upset let your MLA know, and send a CC to the premier, don't forget to offer solutions. Next election you can vote them out or in, your choice.

I urge everyone who is thinking emotionally to stop, take a deep breath and think about what is best.

Unlike some people I still shop up here, pay taxes so that we may still have the social safety net that we all enjoy, and keep some of my fellow BCers employed at the same time
    Plecoholics Anonymous Member #4

No matter what we vote government will get us somehow. Either way, somebody will pay for it, mostly working class. I just wish they spent those $5mil on schools or hospitals instead of those stupid stick men. I don't buy junk food, so no difference there for me, but I'm already taxed on my income, so I don't want to be charged extra on my other bills. I vote yes to get rid of it!

I'm in the plumbing and heating service biz ... it has added 7% to absolutely every invoice I create. The number of "cash" customers has gone through the roof. Up untill the HST, I was required to collect GST only as PST was considered "paid at source" ... now I am the source and have to add that extra 7%!

400 gallon guppy tank coming soon.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5