Question about the species banned in BC
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Question about the species banned in BC

This is a discussion on Question about the species banned in BC within the Aqua Lounge forums, part of the Aqua Lounge category; I was wondering what is the law for the species that are banned in BC. If keeping / breeding / ...

DefaultQuestion about the species banned in BC

I was wondering what is the law for the species that are banned in BC.
    If keeping / breeding / selling / buying for example white clouds is illegal, if someone already keeping them what should do with those fish, kill them!!!!!????

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Novice

I am no lawyer for endangered species or conservation issues, but my GUESS would be that YOU can keep your own until they die. Just don't breed, give away, or toss these critters into natural streams and lakes (including sewer systems).
    arash53 likes this.

Forum Guru

Yes that’s how it goes . Just keep and don’t let into natural environments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator SeaHorse_Fanatic's Avatar

Yup, they are sort of grandfathered in for "old" owners. Can't get new ones or release your old ones, but you're allowed to keep what you already have.

I think a lot of the push to ban possibly invasive species (which could potentially survive in BC waters and lands) was due to the released snakehead found in Central Park's pond in Burnaby a few years back. The media blew it way out of proportions, reporting that snakeheads could possibly attack children and such, and so the government began a campaign of banning fish & reptiles as pets.

Anthony
    The Guy, arash53 and geealexg like this.

White Cloud Mountain Minnow is one of my favorite fish , I wish I had some before got banned

Prohibited Live Species: Schedule 3

Under Schedule 3 a number of fish species found in the live food and / or aquarium trade were listed:

Family Channidae : all Asian & African Snakeheads

Family Cobitae : Oriental weatherfish (or weather loach)

Family Cyprinidae: ‘Asian carps’ (specifically grass, silver, bighead and black carps);Bitterlings (genus Rhodeus); Tench ; White cloud mountain minnow

Family Gobidae: Gobies (round, monkey, tubenose and Amur gobies)

Family Ictaluridae: All species (bullheads, madtoms & channel catfishes)

Family Poecilidae : Western mosquitofish

Why is the white cloud minnow banned? I cant seem to find any info on that

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    125 Reef display tank!

https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hra/invasi...nnow_alert.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1535 View Post
    Why is the white cloud minnow banned? I cant seem to find any info on that

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Forum Guru

A danger to our environment. So they say. Also weather loaches. MAy overtake our lakes. It all was decided after the snakehead incident in Central Park. Thry has ubc do research to decide. I know that as Thry came
    To my shop on Dunbar to ask what I thought. I said not likely people are releasing them. Thry are usually in an aquarium or a tiny water fountain on a deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    arash53 likes this.

Unfortunately the white clouds are in the carp family and can survive in colder water so in theory they can survive in our streams and lakes. Some biologist banned whole families because they could live in the wild here. Theory and practicality collide in the case of the white clouds. there is near zero chance of them establishing in any body of water in BC. If any damn fool were to release any into our waters they would very quickly become a lunch snack for any of our native fish. First , they are small enough as adults they would fall prey to just about any of our natives.. The only exception would be the sticklebacks ,but even they would snack on any fry they encountered , and secondly , they do not reproduce that rapidly. That didn't stop the government from banning them because of their family and there hasn't been enough pressure from hobbyists to get them excepted from the bans. As we all know government is quick to make a stupid decision and very slow to correct it .
    hp10BII, joker1535 and arash53 like this.

Why goldfish and Koi are not banned?
    I thought those are also in the carp family
    Quote Originally Posted by davefrombc View Post
    Unfortunately the white clouds are in the carp family and can survive in colder water so in theory they can survive in our streams and lakes. Some biologist banned whole families because they could live in the wild here. Theory and practicality collide in the case of the white clouds. there is near zero chance of them establishing in any body of water in BC. If any damn fool were to release any into our waters they would very quickly become a lunch snack for any of our native fish. First , they are small enough as adults they would fall prey to just about any of our natives.. The only exception would be the sticklebacks ,but even they would snack on any fry they encountered , and secondly , they do not reproduce that rapidly. That didn't stop the government from banning them because of their family and there hasn't been enough pressure from hobbyists to get them excepted from the bans. As we all know government is quick to make a stupid decision and very slow to correct it .
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast