A Bit more African Cichlid Spawning - Malawi & Tanganyika
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By VElderton

A Bit more African Cichlid Spawning - Malawi & Tanganyika

This is a discussion on A Bit more African Cichlid Spawning - Malawi & Tanganyika within the Breeding/Spawning Section forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; Recently I have been trying to spawn some lesser known Mbuna species from Lake Malawi. Along those lines I recently ...

Thumbs upA Bit more African Cichlid Spawning - Malawi & Tanganyika

Recently I have been trying to spawn some lesser known Mbuna species from Lake Malawi. Along those lines I recently acquired a breeding group of 9 (2 males + 7 females) Labeotropheus fuelleborni - OB marmalade cats. I have not had any successful spawning of these yet but they are interesting fish.

What I really like about these fish are the males are OB - blue and females OB - orange. I am hoping to get the conditions right and see some fry from this group soon. I have been told that they will breed as a colony but I am not convinced about this - I will have to wait and see.

Another Mbuna I have been successful with is Labeotropheus trewavasae - albino. I have 4 fish in this breeding group (1 male + 3 females)

This is an interesting species as the males are ice blue-white and females pinkish / orange. I have had a bit of success with this group and 5 fry/juveniles now and hope to have more in future.

One thing I have noticed about these two Labeotropheus species is that the L. fuelleborni are veracious eaters and very interactive. The L. trewavasae are quite shy and not active feeders.

I am still working on some Tanganyikan spawning as well. I really like colony breeders - love the interaction and no need for grow out tanks. I continue to have great success with Juliochromis ornatus and recently acquired some locally raised Neolamprologus brichardi juveniles. I started up one intensional breeding tank of these feisty little fish. The aggression was quite high in the 5 I started with so I separated the less dominant fish from a dominant trio.

I expected the intentional tank would be where spawning would start but that was not the case. That group has no fry yet. This morning my eye caught some movement and sure enough in the subordinate fish are a pair and they have a group of tiny fry

I have micro worms and baby brine on the go all the time so I started the L. trewavasae off on those live foods supplemented by finely ground dry food. For the new Neolamprologus brichardi I will be doing the same thing. As the N. brichardi grow I hope to get some video but right now they are way too small for anyone to really notice - similar to the early free swimming J. ornatus

If all goes well I hope to have some surplus juveniles in the few months to share out with other BC Aquaria members and VAHS hobbyists.
    Last edited by VElderton; 07-26-2018 at 12:30 AM.
    Small fish room, 24 tanks - various sizes. Inside the house (1) 40 - Breeder + 2 show tank 1 Fluval Venezia 190 L & Fluval Venezia 350 L

Fish Room Album

I keep most of my breeding groups in biotope tanks. I move pairs or breeding groups to special tanks to spawn and raise fry. I also take full advantage of Ziss & Marina water circulating breeder boxes. African Cichlids are what I breed mostly but have gotten more interested in catfish - corys & BN plecos in the past 12 months.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator SeaHorse_Fanatic's Avatar

Sounds like some very interesting breeding projects going on in your fish room. Good luck my friend.

Anthony

Thanks Anthony. I am heading to Portland for a conference and will be checking out the Wet Spot to see what they have to offer. A new fish friend and colleague from SFU and I are interested in expanding our Mbuna species that you see locally.

We have:

Chewere (Pseudotropheus elongatus)

Jalo Reef (Cynotilapia afra)

Maingano (Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos)

P. socolofi (Pseudotropheus socolofi)

Mbuna are on our list, so stay tuned.
    Small fish room, 24 tanks - various sizes. Inside the house (1) 40 - Breeder + 2 show tank 1 Fluval Venezia 190 L & Fluval Venezia 350 L

Fish Room Album

I keep most of my breeding groups in biotope tanks. I move pairs or breeding groups to special tanks to spawn and raise fry. I also take full advantage of Ziss & Marina water circulating breeder boxes. African Cichlids are what I breed mostly but have gotten more interested in catfish - corys & BN plecos in the past 12 months.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Resident

Hi VElderton, it's been about 5-6 years since I been on here. Any luck breeding fuelleborni?