Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By VElderton
  • 1 Post By VElderton
  • 2 Post By VElderton
  • 1 Post By VElderton

Julidochromis marileri - Success

This is a discussion on Julidochromis marileri - Success within the Breeding/Spawning Section forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; I had a pair of J. marlieri that spawned in a community tank and raised a couple fry successfully. Six ...

DefaultJulidochromis marileri - Success

I had a pair of J. marlieri that spawned in a community tank and raised a couple fry successfully. Six weeks ago I moved them to their own tank in the hopes of starting another Tanganyikan colony. Today while doing my weekly water change I noticed at least 8 tiny fry - success! I hope they raise fry as well as my two J. ornatus colonies.

Julidochromis marlieri video ... look closely for the tiny fry swimming under a hovering, watchful mom.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/308726182
    Last edited by VElderton; 03-11-2019 at 08:16 AM.
    Small fish room, 24 tanks - various sizes. Inside the house (1) 40 - Breeder + 2 show tank 1 Fluval Venezia 190 L & Fluval Venezia 350 L

Fish Room Album

I keep most of my breeding groups in biotope tanks. I move pairs or breeding groups to special tanks to spawn and raise fry. I also take full advantage of Ziss & Marina water circulating breeder boxes. African Cichlids are what I breed mostly but have gotten more interested in catfish - corys & BN plecos in the past 12 months.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Snooper jennhughes83@gmail.com's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VElderton View Post
    I had a pair of J. marilieri that spawned in a community tank and raised a couple fry successfully. Six weeks ago I moved them to their own tank in the hopes of starting another Tanganyikan colony. Today while doing my weekly water change I noticed at least 8 tiny fry - success! I hope they raise fry as well as my two J. ornatus colonies.

Interested in some fry if you're selling when they are of size

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Will let you know how this colony comes along. I am keeping them the same as J. ornatus so hopefully it goes well. If so in about 6 - 8 weeks they should be some big enough to sell. They start off really small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [email protected] likes this.
    Small fish room, 24 tanks - various sizes. Inside the house (1) 40 - Breeder + 2 show tank 1 Fluval Venezia 190 L & Fluval Venezia 350 L

Fish Room Album

I keep most of my breeding groups in biotope tanks. I move pairs or breeding groups to special tanks to spawn and raise fry. I also take full advantage of Ziss & Marina water circulating breeder boxes. African Cichlids are what I breed mostly but have gotten more interested in catfish - corys & BN plecos in the past 12 months.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Resident

Have moved away from Tangs but I would have to say Julies still remain my favorite!
    210G South American - , Corydoras julii, Altum Angels, Discus, Clown pleco, Black Ghost knifefish
    90G for "Bobby the Turtle"
    120G South American - Discus, Neon Tetras, Rummy nose tetras, Yoyo loach and low tech plants

Yes this genus is great no question. Starting with J.ornatus I have really been liking the colonial Tanganyikan species. Just posted some video from the J. marlieri tank this morning.
    Last edited by VElderton; 03-11-2019 at 08:17 AM.

Fish Room Album

Super Moderator SeaHorse_Fanatic's Avatar

Congrats Victor. Those are some beautiful fish, that's for sure.

Anthony

Thanx for posting the video Victor, and congrats on your success. I love the Julies too.

Now that BC Aquaria photo/video issues have pretty much been worked out I renewed my premium membership to the site. Less ads the better!

The J. marlieri are pretty tiny but they are taking live brine shrimp naplauli and I always have micro worm cultures on the go.

In a couple weeks when they look a bit more like juveniles I will post another video link.
    Last edited by VElderton; 03-11-2019 at 08:17 AM.
    [email protected] and JUICE like this.

Fish Room Album

Julidochromis marlieri video ... I promised an update when the fry were @ 2 weeks. In the video you can see that older fry are starting to colour up as young juveniles. The largest juvenile fry are about 10 mm (1/2 in). You can see various sizes in these young Julidochromis, my assumption is different hatchings, all getting along well - loving these colony breeders.

Julidochromis marlieri video @ 2 weeks

Last edited by VElderton; 03-11-2019 at 08:19 AM.
    tredford8 likes this.

Fish Room Album

Super Moderator SeaHorse_Fanatic's Avatar

Looking real good there Victor. Those fish are gorgeous and babies are really cute.