Looking to try my hand in breeding egg-scattering fish
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TomC
  • 1 Post By Redshrimp2709

Looking to try my hand in breeding egg-scattering fish

This is a discussion on Looking to try my hand in breeding egg-scattering fish within the Breeding/Spawning Section forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; ...

Forum Novice

DefaultLooking to try my hand in breeding egg-scattering fish

Does anyone have a breeding pair of spark inline gouramis, or a brood of ember tetras, ottos, or corydora pygmaeus? I would have a black water nano tank (about 9 gallons) that is well established and ready for breeding egg layers/scatterers.

I also have trades and sold plants and shrimp for several years now. I have a 90 gallon where I can later transition the adult fish, but in all my years, I’ve never had any luck with breeding egg layers! I don’t know if it’s too much aquascaping, or breeding tanks without substrate. Any tips would be appreciated.

Photo of the established breeding tank set up below.

Andrew L.
    Neighbourhood Freshwater Hobbyist

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Hello Drew.

Just curious. What are spark inline gouramis? I bred sparkling gouramis are they are relatively easy and don’t require much room.

JMHO.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TANKFUL IN VANCOUVER

ADDICTED TO PRESSURIZED CO2

Forum God

Watch some of the videos by Marks Aquatics on Youtube. Some are quite informative.
    Redshrimp2709 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Novice

Are you saying you’ve bred Sparking Gouramis, or you’re not sure if we’re talking about the same species? They also go by another common name, “pygmy gourami” or Trichopsis pumila is the scientific name I think. Pic of one of mine below. I’m disappointed because I bought 4 from Aquarium Wesr, and they are beautiful, but I think all of them are males, what are the chances!

Andrew L.

Forum Novice

I actually watched all of Mark’s videos until the end of December 2019. Just yesterday I decided on a school of corydoras pygmaeus. I’ll post updates to see how that goes.

Right now I have an ADA 45P (about 9 US gal.) already 1 yr established. It’s a blackwater setup.

Details:

pH: 6.6
    Low kH & gH, less than 2dKH/dGH (low TDS)
    Temp. 23C to 24C

I plan to cool the water to 22C when doing water changes when it’s dreary outside. Apparently atmospheric pressure and temperature are more significant factors. I just bought the school of 7 Cory cats from April’s Aquarium yesterday. They are all seemingly healthy and active, but not eating. Will check in again tomorrow.

Andrew L.

Quote Originally Posted by Redshrimp2709 View Post
    Are you saying you’ve bred Sparking Gouramis, or you’re not sure if we’re talking about the same species? They also go by another common name, “pygmy gourami” or Trichopsis pumila is the scientific name I think. Pic of one of mine below. I’m disappointed because I bought 4 from Aquarium Wesr, and they are beautiful, but I think all of them are males, what are the chances!

No what you had in your possible list of species was”spark inline gourami”, but now I know you meant sparkling gourami......

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TANKFUL IN VANCOUVER

ADDICTED TO PRESSURIZED CO2

Forum Novice

Apologies for the typo CRS Fan - LOL

OK - Just my luck, all my sparkling (Pygmy Gouramis) appear to be males, and I don’t have space right now to get females. Also, my planted “freshwater reef” tank is moderate surface flow and agitation, which is not great for bubble nest breeders.

So instead I sourced out 7 corydoras pygmaeus and put them in my blackwater setup. 6 survived, but I already have eggs and fry! I’m hoping that they will live and grow to maturity. Online literature on breeding this species mentioned not feeding dry when newly hatched for a few days, as they are too small for even micro worms (unless you have a special breeding tank for them and infusoria). The adult school do not appear predate on any of them, as most who have had experience breeding them have also said that this is rare.

If any of you have any suggestions or comments, let me know.

Tank - ADA 45P (about 10 gallons)

PH:6.5
    Temp: 24C, lowered for several days with cool water changes until it’s about 22C.

Here are some pics:

https://i.imgur.com/pSDKo6D.jpg
    Last edited by Redshrimp2709; 04-28-2020 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Adding proper link
    CRS Fan likes this.
    Andrew L.