My latest breeding project - Apistogramma Rio Mamore
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By crazy72
  • 1 Post By giraffee
  • 1 Post By giraffee

My latest breeding project - Apistogramma Rio Mamore

This is a discussion on My latest breeding project - Apistogramma Rio Mamore within the Breeding/Spawning Section forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; ...

  1. #1
    Forum God crazy72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East Van (Killarney)
    Posts
    2,204

    Default My latest breeding project - Apistogramma Rio Mamore

    A few months ago I went to Aquariums West with no intention to buy fish but I stumbled on the most stunning pair of apistos that I had ever seen. They were expensive, but being an apisto freak I splashed out and bought them. After a few weeks they started to spawn regularly but I had them in a community tank so the fry got eaten every time. Eventually I decided to remove a batch of fry and raise them. They are now about 3 months old and the biggest ones are almost 1cm long. Thereís almost 40 of them. Iíve raised apistos before but I never managed to keep that many fry alive for so long. Pics below, snapped last night at their dinner time. This is a 10g and Iíll eventually move them into 33g long to take them to adulthood. Fingers crossed.






    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by crazy72; 07-11-2020 at 10:34 AM.
    giraffee likes this.
    Vicenza 260 Limited Edition - apistos, cardinals, sterbais
    75G planted - apistos, pencilfish, duplicareus, farlowella
    Fluval Studio 33G - apistos, chocolate gouramis

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

  3. #2
    Forum God crazy72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East Van (Killarney)
    Posts
    2,204

    Default

    Here’s a pic (from the internet) of an adult male Rio Mamore. Mine looked just like this. Unfortunately he died on me a couple of months ago. I have no idea what happened to him. He was stunning.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by crazy72; 07-11-2020 at 10:47 AM.
    Vicenza 260 Limited Edition - apistos, cardinals, sterbais
    75G planted - apistos, pencilfish, duplicareus, farlowella
    Fluval Studio 33G - apistos, chocolate gouramis

  4. #3
    Super Moderator SeaHorse_Fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Burnaby
    Posts
    6,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazy72 View Post
    Here’s a pic (from the internet) of an adult male Rio Mamore. Mine looked just like this. Unfortunately he died on me a couple of months ago. I have no idea what happened to him. He was stunning.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    OMG, that's probably one of the most beautiful cichlids I've ever seen. RIP little guy. Sorry you lost your male.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

  6. #4
    Forum God crazy72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East Van (Killarney)
    Posts
    2,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
    OMG, that's probably one of the most beautiful cichlids I've ever seen. RIP little guy. Sorry you lost your male.
    Yes, they are stunning. Now you know why I forked out the hefty price!

    Itís exciting to look at the little guys now and think that theyíll turn into such beautiful fish. I am looking forward to seeing the tail colour up red on the males.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vicenza 260 Limited Edition - apistos, cardinals, sterbais
    75G planted - apistos, pencilfish, duplicareus, farlowella
    Fluval Studio 33G - apistos, chocolate gouramis

  7. #5
    Forum Snooper giraffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Burnaby
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazy72 View Post
    Hereís a pic (from the internet) of an adult male Rio Mamore. Mine looked just like this. Unfortunately he died on me a couple of months ago. I have no idea what happened to him. He was stunning.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stunning apisto... Never had a chance to see Rio Mamore live, they are so rare. What kind of breeding setup did you have for them? Do they require really low pH?

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    crazy72 likes this.

  8. #6
    Forum God crazy72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East Van (Killarney)
    Posts
    2,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by giraffee View Post
    Stunning apisto... Never had a chance to see Rio Mamore live, they are so rare. What kind of breeding setup did you have for them? Do they require really low pH?

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    They are very rare, yes. I had never seen them live either. I put them in a community tank. 75G planted, with sand as substrate and lots of wood and caves. Nothing special. pH is just tap water. Somewhere between 6.0 and 6.5. Now you might point out that the male died, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't a pH issue. He was super healthy and active, brightly coloured, and breeding every 3 weeks or so. One day I saw him with his jaw seemingly locked open. The next day he was dead. I have no idea what happened. The female is still in that tank and doing great. The fry are in a 10G tank with the same water parameters.
    Vicenza 260 Limited Edition - apistos, cardinals, sterbais
    75G planted - apistos, pencilfish, duplicareus, farlowella
    Fluval Studio 33G - apistos, chocolate gouramis

  9. #7
    Forum Snooper giraffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Burnaby
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazy72 View Post
    They are very rare, yes. I had never seen them live either. I put them in a community tank. 75G planted, with sand as substrate and lots of wood and caves. Nothing special. pH is just tap water. Somewhere between 6.0 and 6.5. Now you might point out that the male died, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't a pH issue. He was super healthy and active, brightly coloured, and breeding every 3 weeks or so. One day I saw him with his jaw seemingly locked open. The next day he was dead. I have no idea what happened. The female is still in that tank and doing great. The fry are in a 10G tank with the same water parameters.
    Interesting.. I had similar situation with young ram in a community tank with eco complete substrate - the same locked open mouth in the evening and dead in the morning. Appeared had a piece of substrate stuck deep in a throat.
    Anyway, please let me know if you decided you have too many of them - I'm very interested in a pair or trio.

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

  10. #8
    Forum God crazy72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East Van (Killarney)
    Posts
    2,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by giraffee View Post
    Interesting.. I had similar situation with young ram in a community tank with eco complete substrate - the same locked open mouth in the evening and dead in the morning. Appeared had a piece of substrate stuck deep in a throat.
    Anyway, please let me know if you decided you have too many of them - I'm very interested in a pair or trio.

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Hmm. I never thought of that. I suppose itís unlikely with sand, but then it could have been a small piece of wood for instance. In any case, yes Iím sure Iíll sell them at some point (unless I manage to screw it up and kill them all). Iíd like to wait until they are sexable so that people know what they are getting. Hopefully before too long.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vicenza 260 Limited Edition - apistos, cardinals, sterbais
    75G planted - apistos, pencilfish, duplicareus, farlowella
    Fluval Studio 33G - apistos, chocolate gouramis

  11. #9
    Forum Snooper giraffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Burnaby
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazy72 View Post
    Hmm. I never thought of that. I suppose itís unlikely with sand, but then it could have been a small piece of wood for instance. In any case, yes Iím sure Iíll sell them at some point (unless I manage to screw it up and kill them all). Iíd like to wait until they are sexable so that people know what they are getting. Hopefully before too long.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Please put me on your list

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    crazy72 likes this.

  12. #10
    Forum God crazy72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East Van (Killarney)
    Posts
    2,204

    Default

    The little guys are now in their permanent home (until they are sold - I canít keep them all). Itís a 33 long with sand and lots of plants and wood for hide-outs. I did lose a few over the last couple of months, but there are still at least 35 of them. Iím expecting them to grow faster now in the bigger tank. The biggest ones (likely makes) are starting to show a bit of colour on the tail. Theyíre going to be gorgeous!

    As you can see in the second pic, the problem I have to photograph them is that they are so curious that they all face me when I come close enough with the camera!







    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vicenza 260 Limited Edition - apistos, cardinals, sterbais
    75G planted - apistos, pencilfish, duplicareus, farlowella
    Fluval Studio 33G - apistos, chocolate gouramis




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Vancouver Website Hosting Chilliwack Website Design