2nd Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest Winners Announced!
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

2nd Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest Winners Announced!

This is a discussion on 2nd Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest Winners Announced! within the CAF Annual Discus Grow-out Contest forums, part of the Canadian Aqua Farm Discus Hatchery category; 2nd Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest It's hard to believe that 10 months have already passed since the start ...

Default2nd Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest Winners Announced!

2nd Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest

It's hard to believe that 10 months have already passed since the start of the 2nd Annual Discus Grow Out Contest and the time has come to announce the winners. First though I would like to thank all of the participants for their endless hard work in caring for the fish as well as keeping all of us in the BCA community updated on their progress. I know I am constantly gaining new insights about these magnificent fish by seeing how they respond to the varied set-ups and care regiments that are implemented by the participants. I am sure many others also learn a tremendous amount by following the progress of each participants thread.

I would like to give special recognition to kimrocks, Immus21, crimper and kacairns who all posted at least one update in each of the 10 months that contest ran. Your dedication to the contest is very much appreciated!

I would also like to thank Darcy of the Canadian Discus Association for judging the discus. Each entry was graded on 7 different criteria; body shape, fins, eyes, gill/head structure, colour, health and overall impression with additional points awarded for size and participation. After tallying the final scores it is my pleasure to announce the three top place fish...

1st Place & People's Choice: crimper (winner of $300 gift certificate & Discus Care Pack)

2nd Place: phyeung (winner of $200 gift certificate)

3rd Place: Immus21 (winner of $100 gift certificate)

Runners Up in no particular order:

pieces71

grizadams_7mm

Aswain

kimrocks

kacairns

target

Diztrbd1, Pamela, Smiladon and 6 others like this.
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Congrats Crimper! Everyone did a great job imho but your Ref D is a very deserving winner. Thanks Rick for all the time and effort you put into making this contest happen.

Super Moderator SeaHorse_Fanatic's Avatar

Congrats crimper. Great looking fish and nice work getting it into such beautiful shape. Although I like the unique coloration of kacairns' discus, yours is saaaweeeet looking discus with great shape and healthy looking too.

Anthony
    Immus21, crimper and kacairns like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Immus21 View Post
    Congrats Crimper! Everyone did a great job imho but your Ref D is a very deserving winner. Thanks Rick for all the time and effort you put into making this contest happen.
    I would like to add my congratulations to Crimper for winning Rick's "grow out #2". Also added congratulations to yourself Calvin for placing third, and also to phyeung for his second place finish. Another big THANKS to Rick for making this journey possible for all of the entrants. You are all winners
    Immus21 and crimper like this.

I think you all did well with this tricky fish
    Immus21 likes this.
    500 gallon plywood tank
    230 motor stingray breeding tank. led lighting, dual sump sump,and drip system
    150 gallon saltwater mixed reef.
    150 gallon African cichlid
    90 gallon fahaka puffer tank
    75 gallon flowerhorn tank
    55 gallon axolotle tank
    loads of guppies and shrimp tanks

Super Moderator SeaHorse_Fanatic's Avatar

Rick, on behalf of the BCA family, thank you for sponsoring this very cool contest. Its great to see all these beautiful discus being raised by a lot of aquarists who might otherwise never take the plunge into discus rearing. And such fabulous prizes too.

Anthony
    Diztrbd1, Pamela, bigfry and 3 others like this.

Forum Resident

A big congrats to Crimper, Phyeung and Immus21 - very well deserved!

Thanks very much Rick and looking forward to the next contest - : ).

Cheers,
    Kim
    Immus21 and guppygeorge like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Immus21 View Post
    Thanks Calvin, we are all winners. This wonderful learning experience made us all proud of ourselves. Thanks again to Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
    Congrats crimper. Great looking fish and nice work getting it into such beautiful shape. Although I like the unique coloration of kacairns' discus, yours is saaaweeeet looking discus with great shape and healthy looking too.

Anthony
    Thanks Anthony.

Quote Originally Posted by guppygeorge View Post
    I would like to add my congratulations to Crimper for winning Rick's "grow out #2". Also added congratulations to yourself Calvin for placing third, and also to phyeung for his second place finish. Another big THANKS to Rick for making this journey possible for all of the entrants. You are all winners
    Thanks George. Thanks also for sharing your journal and your wonderful grow out eperience with us.

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I think you all did well with this tricky fish
    Thanks Dino.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimrocks View Post
    A big congrats to Crimper, Phyeung and Immus21 - very well deserved!

Thanks very much Rick and looking forward to the next contest - : ).

Cheers,
    Kim
    Thanks Kabayan Kim. Please drop by and will have some discus talk/celebration

And most of all big thanks to Rick for making this contest to happen. With this, Im sure there will be lots of aquarist out there that would not hesitate to take a plunge in discus keeping. And to all of you fellow BCAyers, thanks for all your support into this great community.

I would like to share what I have learned in this contest in a few words:

1. Water Change - Discus is not a difficult fish to keep if you keep up with daily WC. It's the daily WC that makes it a tedious routine. Crystal Clear water doesnt mean clean water.
    2. KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid) - Bare Bottom tank is the way to go, easy to maintain less ph fluctuation issues, less nitrate issues. Just throw a heater and airstone in the tank and ditch that sponge filter if you are lazy to clean it daily.
    3. Get a healthy stock from a reputable discus vendor/breeder like the Canadian Aquafarm. Great guy and friendly service.

Forum Snooper

Thanks Rick for the contest he arranged. It gives me some valuable experience and learning, it involves lots of hard work and patience but is fun to watch. Thanks Rick for his advices during the course of the contest. Congratulations to Crimper and Immus21 and all other contestants for their hard works and contributions. Now the Reflection D keeps growing bigger and is a male. The Virgin Red stops growing and is a female and she laid eggs before.
    Thanks Rick again because without him I won't be in keeping discus hobby.
    Cheers,
    Peter
    Immus21 and guppygeorge like this.

Forum Guru

Quote Originally Posted by crimper View Post

I would like to share what I have learned in this contest in a few words:

1. Water Change - Discus is not a difficult fish to keep if you keep up with daily WC. It's the daily WC that makes it a tedious routine. Crystal Clear water doesnt mean clean water.
    2. KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid) - Bare Bottom tank is the way to go, easy to maintain less ph fluctuation issues, less nitrate issues. Just throw a heater and airstone in the tank and ditch that sponge filter if you are lazy to clean it daily.
    3. Get a healthy stock from a reputable discus vendor/breeder like the Canadian Aquafarm. Great guy and friendly service.
    Excellent advice Crimper A great short and simple set of rules/advice on how to raise discus from fry/juvies into mature healthy adults. I can see why you placed first by following these basic "rules". I'm certain that you also followed one more "must do" to raise healthy fish..... a good diet, with a variety of quality foods....high in protein
    Last edited by guppygeorge; 09-28-2013 at 09:17 PM.
    crimper likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast