2nd Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Rules & Entry
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

2nd Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Rules & Entry

This is a discussion on 2nd Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Rules & Entry within the CAF Annual Discus Grow-out Contest forums, part of the Canadian Aqua Farm Discus Hatchery category; Canadian Aqua Farm's 2nd Annual Discus Grow Out Contest www.CanadianAquaFarm.com Our last grow out contest was a huge success (many ...

Default2nd Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Rules & Entry

Canadian Aqua Farm's 2nd Annual Discus Grow Out Contest

Our last grow out contest was a huge success (many thanks to all of the amazing folks that partook) and it is with great pleasure that I announce the official entry and rules for the 2nd Annual Discus Grow Out. Below you will find all of the details required to submit your entry. Please read over this post carefully and make sure that you are able to commit to all that is required. Keep in mind that monthly updates accompanied by photos and/or video are expected.

Overview:
    Each entrant in the grow out contest will receive six A grade imported discus from my supplier, Forrest, at a cost of $135 which is about half of the regular price. Many thanks to Forrest for helping make this possible! The discus will be around 3" give or take a little. Each group of six will contain multiple colour strains. Each contestant will grow their discus over a period of approximately 10 months. At the end of that time each contestant will select the one discus that they feel is the best and submit photos for judging. During the period of the contest each contestant will maintain a thread in Canadian Aqua Farm's sponsor section that will need to be updated at least once a month with current photos and or video for the entire duration of the contest.

Deadline for entry: November 4th, 2012.
    Start date: Mid to late November. I will announce the exact date as soon as I know. I am currently coordinating with my discus supplier.
    End date: August 31st, 2013
    Winners Announced & Prizes Awarded: September 2013
    *Please only enter if you are serious about seeing the contest through from start to finish.

Hobbyists of all experience levels are encouraged to enter. First time keepers are welcome. In order for your entry to be valid you must agree to the following:
    1. Must have been a member of BCA on or before October 23rd, 2012. Each member is limited to one entry.
    2. Must be willing and able to post photo updates on BCA at least once in each calendar month and include details about the frequency of water changes, feedings and so on for the entire 10 months that the contest runs. Each participant will have their own thread in Canadian Aqua Farm's sponsor section in which to post the updates.
    3. Must be able to pick up contest fish in Maple Ridge. Long distance participants are welcome but must pay all shipping costs associated with receiving the fish ($35-$95 depending on location).
    4. Must be able to provide suitable living conditions for a group of 6 juvenile discus. If you are unsure if your set-up is suitable please feel free to contact me for guidance.

Judging:
    The contest will end on August 31st, 2013. Participants will be expected to submit photos of their best one fish for assessment. I will find an expert or possibly a panel of experts to do the judging.

Required is one profile photo showing the fish from the side, it should not be angled towards nor away from the camera and it should be as clear as possible. This photo will be used to judge the following criteria:

Body Shape (roundness, smooth contours, lack of blemishes) /10
    Fins (shape, balance, rays well formed, lack of blemishes) /10
    Eyes (shape, proportion to body, colour) /10
    Gill/Head Structure (well formed with smooth contours) /10
    Colour (intensity, pattern) /10
    Health (erect fins, bright colours, clear eyes, etc) /10
    Overall Impression /10

The second photo needs to show the fish with a ruler or measuring tape on top of it's body. This photo will be used to judge the size of the fish and points will be awarded as follows.

Over 3" +5.0 points
    Over 3.5" +7.5 points
    Over 4" +10.0 points
    Over 4.5" +12.5 points
    Over 5" +15.0 points
    Over 5.5" +17.5 points
    Over 6" +20.0 points

The third criteria that points will be awarded for is participation. One point will be awarded for each calendar month in which an update accompanied by video and/or photos is posted. More frequent updates are welcome and encouraged This will add up to a possible 10 points and will likely be a significant factor in the final placement.

Prizes:
    1st Place - $300 Canadian Aqua Farm Gift Certificate
    2nd Place - $200 Canadian Aqua Farm Gift Certificate
    3rd Place - $100 Canadian Aqua Farm Gift Certificate
    People's Choice as voted by the members of BCA - Discus care pack (100g FD Australian Black Worms, 50g FD Brine Shrimp, 50g Dechlorinator Crystals)

How to enter:
    Please send me a PM expressing your interest to enter the contest and include a link to a BCA thread in which you have posted a photo. If you have never posted a photo on BCA then please post a photo on this thread to demonstrate your awesome photo taking/posting abilities.
    Upon receipt of your entry I will send you a confirmation by PM and post your user ID below. If you do not hear from me or see your user ID below then please contact me.

Confirmed Entries:
    Immus21
    crimper
    kacairns
    clairel
    FishFreaks
    stlove1
    jiayaw
    ndnhuy
    kimrocks
    aswain
    smiladon
    grizadams_7mm
    tony1928
    phyeung
    pieces71
    sunshine_1965
    target

FAQ's:
    Below are the answers to some of the more commonly asked questions that I have been receiving:

Q. What strains are available and can we choose our own fish?
    A. The exact strains used will depend upon what is available from my supplier. Selection will not be allowed. The available fish will be divided into equal groups. It will not matter if you are first or last to pick-up your fish. Everyone will receive equally nice discus with an even distribution of strains.

Q. Can I mix the grow out fish with other discus?
    A. Yes, provided that we can still easily identify which fish are in the grow out contest. As always caution is advised if you are mixing discus from different sources and QT is always recommended. Extreme caution is recommended if mixing discus from different countries.

Q. Can I buy multiple groups of the grow out discus?
    A. No, each entrant is limited to one group. I will have other discus available for sale but again in order to be able to easily identify those fish that are in the grow out contest any additional purchases would have to be of a different variety.
    Last edited by Canadian_Aqua_Farm; 11-03-2012 at 11:24 PM. Reason: entrants added
    Diztrbd1 likes this.
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

PM sent. Getting excited. Let the fun begin.
    crimper likes this.
    10G Shrimp Tank. (RCS & Yellows) BNP's.
    20G creamsicle lyretail mollies,Sword-tails.
    90G 12+ Assorted BNP's, 1 Flower-horn,6 Rotkiel Sevrums & 4 short bodied Pearl-scale cichlids.
    135G 10 regular pearlscale cichlids, 3 salvini cichlid,1 Jaguar cichlid,1 Green terror,1 Jack Dempsey,2 Blood Parrots & a High fin spotted pleco.
    27G Discus 1 Red Melon & 2 Refraction D Crosses.

240th near Dewdney trunk rd
    East Maple Ridge

Paul

awfully quiet on this thread lol guess everyone's busy sending Rick PM's lol
    Good luck to everyone who gets in and again.... Thank you Rick for providing this contest & awesome opportunity for BCA members!

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Diztrbd1 View Post
    awfully quiet on this thread lol guess everyone's busy sending Rick PM's lol
    Good luck to everyone who gets in and again.... Thank you Rick for providing this contest & awesome opportunity for BCA members!
    Can't type I bet, everyones hands are too shaky with excitement...

Excited and looking forward to this, the wife even gave me approval to do it which is amazing, she furthered her support by telling me to buy a bed and put in the fish room! Although I'm not sure how that would work as it was barely big enough for the 180gallon tank
    Help me clear out some of my excess stuff!
    FS: Variety of items, sump, co2 accessories, food, medication ect

Old Freshwater Planted thread
    180 Gallon Planted/Community

New SW Tank thread
    180g Salt Water... Reef? FOWLR? Who knows!

Quote Originally Posted by kacairns View Post
    Excited and looking forward to this, the wife even gave me approval to do it which is amazing, she furthered her support by telling me to buy a bed and put in the fish room! Although I'm not sure how that would work as it was barely big enough for the 180gallon tank
    I hope you're kidding about the bed in your fishroom part....

I did not ask the wife. I would rather ask for her forgiveness after I get the fish home. She has her hobby and I have mine. We just accept that. Good luck to all the participants.
    10G Shrimp Tank. (RCS & Yellows) BNP's.
    20G creamsicle lyretail mollies,Sword-tails.
    90G 12+ Assorted BNP's, 1 Flower-horn,6 Rotkiel Sevrums & 4 short bodied Pearl-scale cichlids.
    135G 10 regular pearlscale cichlids, 3 salvini cichlid,1 Jaguar cichlid,1 Green terror,1 Jack Dempsey,2 Blood Parrots & a High fin spotted pleco.
    27G Discus 1 Red Melon & 2 Refraction D Crosses.

240th near Dewdney trunk rd
    East Maple Ridge

Paul

lol thats too funny! You barely have enough room for a sleeping bag in there, let alone a bed lol

The best part was the question of "so who will take care of these fish when we are on vacation in the summer".. I volunteered you John hope you don't mind =)
    Help me clear out some of my excess stuff!
    FS: Variety of items, sump, co2 accessories, food, medication ect

Old Freshwater Planted thread
    180 Gallon Planted/Community

New SW Tank thread
    180g Salt Water... Reef? FOWLR? Who knows!

Forum Resident

//she furthered her support by telling me to buy a bed and put in the fish room!// everybody should feel lucky when you have a wife/girl friend that support your hobby.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast