**3rd Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest ~Official Rules & Entry~**
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

**3rd Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest ~Official Rules & Entry~**

This is a discussion on **3rd Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest ~Official Rules & Entry~** within the CAF Annual Discus Grow-out Contest forums, part of the Canadian Aqua Farm Discus Hatchery category; Canadian Aqua Farm's 3rd Annual Discus Grow Out Contest www.CanadianAquaFarm.com I am excited to announce the official rules and entry ...

Default**3rd Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest ~Official Rules & Entry~**

Canadian Aqua Farm's 3rd Annual Discus Grow Out Contest

I am excited to announce the official rules and entry for the 3rd Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest. Below you will find all of the details required to submit your entry. Please read over this post carefully and make sure that you are able to commit to all that is required. Keep in mind that monthly updates accompanied by photos and/or video are expected.

There will be a limited number of entries accepted this year. There are 12 spots available in the contest.

Overview:
    Each entrant in the grow out contest will receive six A grade imported discus from my supplier, Forrest, at a cost of $135. Many thanks to Forrest for helping make this possible! Each contestant will grow their discus over a period of approximately 10 months. At the end of that time each contestant will select the one discus that they feel is the best and submit photos for judging. During the period of the contest each contestant will maintain a thread in Canadian Aqua Farm's sponsor section that will need to be updated at least once a month with current photos and or video for the entire duration of the contest.

Deadline for entry: January 6th, 2014
    Start date: Fish can be picked up between Dec 15th, 2013 and Jan 6th, 2014
    End date: October 31st, 2014
    Winners Announced & Prizes Awarded: November 2014
    *Please only enter if you are serious about seeing the contest through from start to finish.

Hobbyists of all experience levels are encouraged to enter. First time keepers are welcome. In order for your entry to be valid you must agree to the following:
    1. Must have been a member of BCA on or before November 26th, 2013. Each member is limited to one entry.
    2. Must be willing and able to post photo updates on BCA at least once in each calendar month and include details about the frequency of water changes, feedings and so on for the entire 10 months that the contest runs. Each participant will have their own thread in Canadian Aqua Farm's sponsor section in which to post the updates.
    3. Must be able to pick up contest fish in Maple Ridge. Long distance participants are welcome but must pay all shipping costs associated with receiving the fish ($35-$95 depending on location).
    4. Must be able to provide suitable living conditions for a group of 6 juvenile discus. If you are unsure if your set-up is suitable please feel free to contact me for guidance.

Judging:
    The contest will end on October 31st, 2014. Participants will be expected to submit photos of their best one fish for assessment. I will find an expert or possibly a panel of experts to do the judging.

Required is one profile photo showing the fish from the side, it should not be angled towards nor away from the camera and it should be as clear as possible. This photo will be used to judge the following criteria:

Body Shape (roundness, smooth contours, lack of blemishes) /10
    Fins (shape, balance, rays well formed, lack of blemishes) /10
    Eyes (shape, proportion to body, colour) /10
    Gill/Head Structure (well formed with smooth contours) /10
    Colour (intensity, pattern) /10
    Health (erect fins, bright colours, clear eyes, etc) /10
    Overall Impression /10

The second photo needs to show the fish with a ruler or measuring tape on top of it's body. This photo will be used to judge the size of the fish and points will be awarded as follows.

Over 3" +5.0 points
    Over 3.5" +7.5 points
    Over 4" +10.0 points
    Over 4.5" +12.5 points
    Over 5" +15.0 points
    Over 5.5" +17.5 points
    Over 6" +20.0 points

The third criteria that points will be awarded for is participation. One point will be awarded for each calendar month in which an update accompanied by video and/or photos is posted. More frequent updates are welcome and encouraged This will add up to a possible 10 points and will likely be a significant factor in the final placement.

Prizes:
    1st Place - $300 Canadian Aqua Farm Gift Certificate
    2nd Place - $200 Canadian Aqua Farm Gift Certificate
    3rd Place - $100 Canadian Aqua Farm Gift Certificate

How to enter:
    Please send me a PM expressing your interest to enter the contest and include a link to a BCA thread in which you have posted a photo. If you have never posted a photo on BCA then please post a photo on this thread to demonstrate your awesome photo taking/posting abilities.
    Upon receipt of your entry I will send you a confirmation by PM and post your user ID below. If you do not hear from me or see your user ID below then please contact me.

Confirmed Entries:
    Junior D
    Kimrocks
    Otolith
    Marcus Aurelius
    Smiladon
    AWW
    hamburgerhelper
    mrbob
    Fish rookie
    natali113
    Last edited by Canadian_Aqua_Farm; 12-29-2013 at 12:44 AM. Reason: entries updated
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Hi Rick,
    Thank you very much for organizing this event again, and for saving a spot for me.
    I would really love to join but my wife wanted to go on a 15-30 days family vacation next year in summer. She said I should come along and spend time with the children rather than stay home to change water. Therefore, I am not sure if I can commit to this contest as I am supposed to.
    Would it be possible to let MrBob take my spot if that is okay with you, please?
    I am very sorry about backing out and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
    Once again, thank you so much.
    Good luck everyone!
    Richard

Edit: After pleading with the wife she has agreed to let me join if I can manage to keep them and still spend the holiday with the family. After discussing with Rick (thanks so much for Rick's valuable advice by the way) I have decided to take a different approach and will keep them in a non-bare bottom tank with a canister filter and UV sterilizer. I will be doing less than 90% daily water changes because there are other fish in the tank as well. This is something I have not tried before and I am quite excited to face the challenge. Will start a thread once I pick up the fish. Thanks so much to Rick for giving me this opportunity to learn more about growing and keeping discus.
    Last edited by Fish rookie; 12-13-2013 at 09:23 AM.
    mrbob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish rookie View Post
    Hi Rick,
    Thank you very much for organizing this event again, and for saving a spot for me.
    I would really love to join but my wife wanted to go on a 15-30 days family vacation next year in summer. She said I should come along and spend time with the children rather than stay home to change water. Therefore, I am not sure if I can commit to this contest as I am supposed to.
    Would it be possible to let MrBob take my spot if that is okay with you, please?
    I am very sorry about backing out and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
    Once again, thank you so much.
    Good luck everyone!
    Richard

Hi Richard, no problem I will pass your spot along to Mr. Bob.
    Fish rookie and mrbob like this.
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Thank you Richard! very nice of you! sorry you couldn't be in the contest!!
    Fish rookie likes this.
    I have MTS Please send Help! lol

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
    Thank you Richard! very nice of you! sorry you couldn't be in the contest!!
    Hi Mr. Bob,
    Good luck and may you have a great time with your discus. Cheers.
    Richard
    mrbob likes this.

Good news for any one else that is interested in entering, a couple of spaces have opened up.

Here is a preview of the discus that will be coming in for the contest. There will be 3 Blue Diamonds and 3 Forrest Giant Blues for each participant. The Forrest Giant Blues were selected for good solid colour and will be a nice match to the blue diamonds.

Last edited by Canadian_Aqua_Farm; 12-05-2013 at 08:06 PM.
    Diztrbd1, AWW, crimper and 4 others like this.

Forum Snooper

Very Nice Rick!

Impressive looking blue discus!

cheers
    Junior
    100 Gallon Community Display Tank with Sump!

Can't wait

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    75 Gallon Planted Tank: {Video}
    155 Gallon BowFront Tank:{Video}

They look amazing, and seem to be a good size already. Their tank is already to go

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast