4th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: RyanGSP
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

4th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: RyanGSP

This is a discussion on 4th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: RyanGSP within the CAF Annual Discus Grow-out Contest forums, part of the Canadian Aqua Farm Discus Hatchery category; Tank: 20 Gallon Filtration: Aquaclear 50 Heater: Ehiem 200w Submersible 2 Air Stones Temperature: 85F Food: Omega One Super Color, ...

Forum Beginner

Default4th Annual Discus Grow Out Contest Journal: RyanGSP

Tank: 20 Gallon
    Filtration: Aquaclear 50
    Heater: Ehiem 200w Submersible
    2 Air Stones
    Temperature: 85F
    Food: Omega One Super Color, NLS Tropical Flakes, CAf Freeze Dried Black Worms with Spirulina.

I ordered 12 Discus for my first crack at the grow out contest. So far off to a bad start. Fish were due at 7pm tonight and werent on the flight. They might make the ones that lands at 12:15am Tuesday. Guess I get to stay up late.
    Canadian_Aqua_Farm likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

This will be a great start for them. Looking forward to photos or video when you get a chance.
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

Forum Beginner

Well a small update after uploading some pictures.

I lost one fish last night. He was a cull, was the smallest, had big eyes and horrible shape, and to be honest I was going to cull him anyway.

I am still having problems with the fd black worms and keeping them stuck to the glass for more than a minute.

They are slowly becoming more bold, strength in numbers I guess.

image.jpg
    pamdb33 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Are you doing your daily 100% w/c ? It's a must are these guys always at bottom pointing downwards? Good luck with the contest.
    I have MTS Please send Help! lol

Forum Beginner

Nah thats what filters are for, so I dont have to do the big water changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryangsp View Post
    Well a small update after uploading some pictures.

I lost one fish last night. He was a cull, was the smallest, had big eyes and horrible shape, and to be honest I was going to cull him anyway.

I am still having problems with the fd black worms and keeping them stuck to the glass for more than a minute.

They are slowly becoming more bold, strength in numbers I guess.

image.jpg
    Good to hear that they are becoming more bold and I'm sorry to hear of the losses. Hopefully they are stabilizing now. To get the worms to stick to the glass you have to press really hard and basically squish the cube flat. You also need to move quite quickly because as soon as the worms hit the water they start rehydrating and won't stick as well. Once you get the hang of it they worms will stick to the glass indefinitely.
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

Maybe you should read Ricks sticky on raising Discus if you think u don't have to do daily w/c good luck
    guppygeorge and Staceym like this.
    I have MTS Please send Help! lol

Forum Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
    Maybe you should read Ricks sticky on raising Discus if you think u don't have to do daily w/c good luck
    I like to feed 1/2 cube of bloodworms once a day that way the heater keeps the water nice and clean.

Forum Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_Aqua_Farm View Post
    Good to hear that they are becoming more bold and I'm sorry to hear of the losses. Hopefully they are stabilizing now. To get the worms to stick to the glass you have to press really hard and basically squish the cube flat. You also need to move quite quickly because as soon as the worms hit the water they start rehydrating and won't stick as well. Once you get the hang of it they worms will stick to the glass indefinitely.

Thanks Rick. I think another problem I was having was the microfilm on the glass. When wiping the tank I was missing the spot where I was sticking the FD worms which didnt help. I think I got that hang of it now, if only the fish would stop eating from the middle of the cube. They saw it right in half the little buggers.

I am also seeing 1/2 the fry turning gold and the other 1/2 white. Not sure whats going on with that if some fish are growing faster and are turning gold or if they will mature into different looking fish. I am assuming they should all look the same with both parents being Red Maps but maybe, like the checkerboards, there is a "super" or double dose form.

Forum Beginner

Been training these guys to lay down everyday, they disnt like it at first but seem okay now.

Had them on a ruler lastnight as well, how are we measuring fish? Base of tail or including tail?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast