6th CAF Discus Grow Out Contest
I am excited to announce the official rules and entry for the 6th CAF Discus Grow Out Contest. As mentioned in the entry to the 5th CAF Discus Grow Contest there will be some overlap however each grow out is being run complete independent from the other. Participants in the 5th grow can also enter the 6th grow out if desired. Below you will find all of the details required to submit your entry. Please read over this post carefully and make sure that you are able to commit to all that is required. Keep in mind that monthly updates accompanied by photos and/or video are expected.
Each entrant in the grow out contest will receive a group of six Turquoise discus fry that were born and raised here at CAF. The cost will be $100 (shipping if required is extra). In order to distribute the discus in the most fair manner possible each group of discus will be selected by me and contain an equal representation of sizes/patterns/shapes (no customer selection allowed). Each contestant will grow their discus until September 30th, 2017. At the end of that time each contestant will select the one discus from their group that they feel is the best and submit photos for judging. During the period of the contest each contestant will maintain a thread in Canadian Aqua Farm's sponsor section that will need to be updated at least once a month with current photos and or video for the entire duration of the contest. All contestants that provide at least one update accompanied with a photo or video in each of the calendar months that the contest runs will receive a $50 gift CAF gift certificate.
Entries will be accepted until all 10 groups of contest fish are gone or until January 15th, 2017, whichever comes first.
Start date: November, 2016 onwards
End date: September 30th, 2017
Winners Announced: October, 2017
*Please only enter if you are serious about seeing the contest through from start to finish.
Hobbyists of all experience levels are encouraged to enter. First time keepers are welcome. In order for your entry to be valid you must agree to the following:
1. Each member is limited to one entry.
2. Each participant must start a thread in the grow out contest sub forum CAF Annual Discus Grow-out Contest at the start of the contest detailing their set-up and plan for growing the discus. Subsequent updates will be posted to that thread.
3. Must be willing and able to post photo updates on BCA at least once in each calendar month. Including details about the frequency of water changes, feedings and so on is encouraged.
4. Must be able to pick up contest fish in Maple Ridge. Long distance participants are welcome but must pay all shipping costs associated with receiving the fish ($40-$95 depending on location).
5. Must be able to provide suitable living conditions for a group of juvenile discus. If you are unsure if your set-up is suitable please feel free to contact me for guidance.
6. Must not mix the contest discus with any other similar looking strains. I would also strongly recommend not mixing with any other discus or fish as there has been some bad bugs going around lately. I have completely quarantined my fish room to the point that the only fish I have on site are discus from Forrest and my own home grown fry which are offspring of Forrest's discus.
7. Agree that I may repost your contest photos on my website, social media and/or BC Aquaria.
The contest will end on September 30th, 2017. Participants will be expected to submit photos of their best one fish for assessment. A deadline for submitting these photos will be posted closer to the end of the contest. Judging of the photos will be done by me. I was fortunate to attend an excellent lecture on judging discus this summer by head judge John Nicholson at NADA 2016 in Chicago and look forward to putting these lessons to use.
Required is one profile photo showing the fish from the side, it should not be angled towards nor away from the camera and it should be as clear as possible. This photo will be used to judge the following criteria:
Body Shape (roundness, smooth contours, lack of blemishes) /10
Fins (shape, balance, rays well formed, lack of blemishes) /10
Eyes (shape, proportion to body, colour) /10
Gill/Head Structure (well formed with smooth contours) /10
Colour (intensity, pattern) /10
Health (erect fins, bright colours, clear eyes, etc) /10
Overall Impression /10
The second photo needs to show the fish with a ruler or measuring tape on top of it's body. This photo will be used to judge the size of the fish and points will be awarded as follows.
Over 3" +5.0 points
Over 3.5" +7.5 points
Over 4" +10.0 points
Over 4.5" +12.5 points
Over 5" +15.0 points
Over 5.5" +17.5 points
Over 6" +20.0 points
The third criteria that points will be awarded for is participation. One point will be awarded for each calendar month in which an update accompanied by video and/or photos is posted (starting December 2016 and running through to September 2017). More frequent updates are welcome and encouraged This will add up to a possible 10 points and may be a significant factor in the final placement.
1st, 2nd and 3rd place will receive plaques. 1st place will also have a photo of their fish posted in the CAF Hall Of Fame located on the customer photo's section of my website. All participants that provide a photo or video update in each of the 10 months (December 2016 to September 2017) will receive a $50 CAF gift certificate.
How to enter:
Please send me a PM expressing your interest to enter the contest. Upon receipt of your entry I will send you a confirmation. If you do not hear from me or see your user ID below then please contact me.
These are the parents of the fry being used in this grow out contest: