7th Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest: Fishman21
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

7th Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest: Fishman21

This is a discussion on 7th Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest: Fishman21 within the CAF Annual Discus Grow-out Contest forums, part of the Canadian Aqua Farm Discus Hatchery category; So...Here goes: Day 1 I'm new to Discus care. I have been in the hobby for many, many years, always ...

Forum Resident

Default7th Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest: Fishman21

So...Here goes:

Day 1

I'm new to Discus care. I have been in the hobby for many, many years, always with an interest in cichlids, however too intimidated to try something as complex as Discus. Late last year I decided it was time for a new challenge and I believe this is it. So after patiently waiting through Christmas, I headed over to collect my 6 guys from Rick today and saw the setup. His fish are amazing! Many different types and sizes but not a single sick fish in sight, and every tank is spotless. A great collection and real motivation to grow these little guys out.

My plan for the competition starts out as follows:
    - 10 gallon tank to start - it makes water changes much easier.
    - Temperature 30
    - Daily water changes using water from my 70G reservoir tank (I keep this tank running continuously to support water changes in my 210G)
    - Food - initially FD blackworms as they are accustomed to, then over time transitioning to a mix of FD BW, frozen foods and flakes.

Discus day 1.jpg

Long term plan - I plan to rehouse these to my 210 in several months time once they when they are a healthy size.

210G.jpg

210G II.jpg

(Apologies for the phone pic quality)

Thanks for checking in!
    Last edited by Fishman21; 01-10-2018 at 08:13 PM.
    210G South American - , Corydoras julii, Altum Angels, Discus, Clown pleco, Black Ghost knifefish
    90G for "Bobby the Turtle"

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Resident

Default7th Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest: Fishman21 Day 3

Day 3

After a good start for the first few days, the fish took on a much darker shade and did not seem altogether happy, although all of them kept fins erect which was reassuring. I checked in with Rick who indicated that if they were feeding (Which they were) then it could simply be their initial adjustment to a new environment. I also have been carrying out daily 80% water changes.

Discus day 3.jpg
    210G South American - , Corydoras julii, Altum Angels, Discus, Clown pleco, Black Ghost knifefish

Forum Resident

Default7th Annual CAF Discus Grow Out Contest: Fishman21 Day 4

Day 4

So based on their condition yesterday I made a few changes:

- Added a sponge filter
    - Water change now 50% in the morning and 75% at night still using matured water from my reservoir tank.

Fish are still shy when there is activity near the tank, but have improved their color and are eating really well.

Discus day 4.jpg

Discus day 4.1.jpg

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

I'm loving the frequent updates! The colour change in the discus is most likely due to the background colour as they will try to match their surroundings. It's awesome to hear that they are eating well. That is the best measure of their happiness. Good luck!
    Visit us online http://canadianaquafarm.com Freeze Dried Black Worms Free Shipping! Click here to order
    Keep up on the latest news by liking our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/discuscanada and following on Instagram @Canadianaquafarm https://instagram.com/canadianaquafarm/

Forum Resident

Day 5

Nothing to report other than that now I understand the need to wipe down when doing a water change. With such heavy feeding, there is a rapid build up of micro-organisms living on the glass surface - giving a hazy look to the tank. This slime coat needs to be removed as it will also be a location where harmful micro organisms can flourish.

Just my learning for the day....

Good luck with this progress ... can't wait to see them in the 210 habitat. I can atest to your fish keeping dedication for sure Fisherman21. Discus are a bit intense for me, especially the water change rate, but seeing Rick's specimens and set-up is inspriring for sure! I will be experimenting with anoxic filtration in 2018, if this turns out as good as reported I will enter the Discus realm in the future.

Thanks for the updates
    Last edited by VElderton; 01-13-2018 at 09:50 AM.
    guppygeorge likes this.
    Small fish room, 24 tanks - various sizes. Inside the house (1) 40 - Breeder + 2 show tank 1 Fluval Venezia 190 L & Fluval Venezia 350 L

Fish Room Album

I keep most of my breeding groups in biotope tanks. I move pairs or breeding groups to special tanks to spawn and raise fry. I also take full advantage of Ziss & Marina water circulating breeder boxes. African Cichlids are what I breed mostly but have gotten more interested in catfish - corys & BN plecos in the past 12 months.

Forum Resident

Thanks! Only a 10g tank right now and by using water out of the reservoir tank, the change is quite quick to carry out.

As you know, I understock and overfilter. So I anticipate when they graduate to the 210, I should be able to cut back on the daily regimen. I would also be interested to see whether you can make a success of anaerobic filtration- would be an interesting addition to help manage the ammonia cycle more effectively

Forum Resident

Every morning when they are hungriest I have been trying to vary their diet with Frozen Brine shrimp or flakes but with no luck.

Tried flakes today and they ate well for the first time - so it will be a slow progression to other food types.

Fish are really confident now - swimming around and actually coming up to my hand at feeding time.

Water change routine remains 50 - 75% at least once per day and where time permits - twice a day

Love the driftwood in your 210 looks so nice. Can you post a pic of the whole tank setup?
    guppygeorge likes this.

Forum Guru

Quote Originally Posted by VElderton View Post
    Discus are a bit intense for me, especially the water change rate, but seeing Rick's specimens and set-up is inspriring for sure! I will be experimenting with anoxic filtration in 2018, if this turns out as good as reported I will enter the Discus realm in the future.
    Thanks for the updates
    Hey Victor. Since I am in New Zealand I couldn't enter the grow out this time. However, I really want to work with discus again and Rick has suggested that perhaps I can "shadow" the grow out when I return in May. Basically, if he has another spawn around April/May, I could get six little ones and work with them and see how my progress compares with the grow out 7contestants. Perhaps if you are interested, we can wage our own little friendly un-official contest. I was in grow out #1, and really enjoyed it...finished 2nd...anyway, let me know your thoughts...perhaps communicate via p.m.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast